back to article Microsoft's Blue Screen of Death dead in latest Windows 10 preview

Redmond has released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 – one of the biggest updates to its cloudy operating system – ahead of the release of the Creators Update later this year. There's a whole host of upgrades and additions in the new build, but one that will be immediately noticeable to developers is the axing of the …

FAIL

Have they fixed the bug whereby Edge keeps insisting that it is a better pdf reader than Acrobat? I very much doubt it.

Silver badge

They still haven't fixed the bug where it keeps auto installing unwnted updates, restoring unistalled programs and being terribly unsecure with your personal data.

Wait whaddaya mean those are features?

Bronze badge

Remember you are the product as Google once said. Some 'mericans believe if you use their products, then you adhere to their rules. Besides its all in the EULA which you will note lets them do what they like to your systems and data.

So when is a mainframe not a mainframe? When its the cloud.

Names & definitions keep changing, but the data still ends up in the hands of a few all powerful.

Silver badge

>They still haven't fixed the bug where it keeps auto installing unwnted updates<

In this build, can now stop device driver updates and pause general updates for a month. Of course these features may not make it finished build.

Silver badge

Fix for auto installing unwanted updates

Even in the Home version that doesn't let you delay updates for 35 days: disable the Windows Update service.

I primarily use Linux, and when I use Windows I use Windows 7 because it actually works properly. I did set up a Windows 10 partition on my new laptop, because you can't installed Windows 7 on Kaby Lake and I need Windows if I ever want to update the firmware on that laptop (no easy way to do it in the UEFI BIOS)

But I found that if you boot Windows 10 after not having used it a while, it is COMPLETELY unusable because it is downloading and installing updates immediately after it starts, without waiting for confirmation. Since I will hardly ever use it, I don't care about getting updates, so I just turned off the service. Problem fixed!

If I ever want to catch up on updates, I can always re-enable the service and leave it running overnight...

Bronze badge

No. It's broken garbage.

Sorry, here's my downvotes. 10 is a beta product that has genuinely good thinking in some points. But it was released before it was ready, and it's a horrible f'king mess as far as the UI goes as well as how the mentality goes.

It isn't ready. It will never be ready. In 12-18 months (you heard it here first!), MS will be ready to release a reasonable product. It will still be a bunch of garbage, but if they can fix the interface, 95% of the whiners online will embrace it. Nevermind that the actual code is horrible and that the UI can be functionally fixed with aftermarket software.

The horrible and embarrassing part is the same as ever. If MS would focus on making a good product instead of shuffling the UI and emulating google (poorly at best!), they could make a fortunte selling their primary product to customers. Instead of attempting to sell their primary customers to other customers.

Bronze badge

Remember about priorities. Bing's proxies - Edge and Cortana - are the forefront of development. Windows Defender has been tweaked to look the other way when MS sets up MITM. User requests are of no value if these not reflect MS' goals.

Actually, it was said against Google - most recently and famously, by Tim Cook of Apple.

GSOD =Green Screen of Death?

Anonymous Coward

GSOD?

Incoming lawsuit from TiVo in 3, 2, 1...

Well, it's a SOD for sure!

Silver badge

@Kobblestown

Or, as I have heard Australians say, "What a sod!".

Anonymous Coward

or does that acronym stand for "Great Slurping Of Data"

Silver badge

There are a lot more developer-specific tweaks in the new build and it's clear Microsoft is preparing for something major with the Creators Edition. Let's hope it causes fewer crashes than the Anniversary Update.

I am so glad I am not part of this continual beta test for the Enterprise edition.

Silver badge

It's the new agile, dev ops combination bringing energy and innovation to the customer.

Silver badge

Energy to the customer?

Well, if you count the rapid banging of heads against the screen as the user finds out that the latest updates have nixed all the customisation that they'd spent hours applying then great.

W10 is not out of Alpha let alone Beta yet.

Finally, how many man hours of effort, meetings and yet more meetings did it take to change the BDOD screen into the GSOD? Don't the people in redmond realise that they are doing the MS equivalent of 'fiddling while Rome burns'? Nah, thought not.

> It's the new agile, dev ops combination bringing energy and innovation to the customer.

energy? you must mean synergy!

Silver badge

No energy, it always makes me get up and want to smash something.

Silver badge

Re: Energy to the customer?

"Finally, how many man hours of effort, meetings and yet more meetings did it take to change the BDOD screen into the GSOD? Don't the people in redmond realise that they are doing the MS equivalent of 'fiddling while Rome burns'?"

Looks like MS has actually abandoned its attempts to emulate Google.

Now they're emulating Yahoo! instead!

Silver badge

Next time the colour will be pink.

I'd have thought brown would have been more apt?

Silver badge

I wonder how many meetings were involved in deciding the exact shade of green? Good to see MS aren't wasting time on pointless crap.

pink?

Probably "green" was chosen so "green screen OD", with its longer colour name, and the rhyme, wouldn't be as snappy to say as "blue screen OD".

It's a nice marketing trick, which may even work if they can just stop Windows crashing as not-infrequently as it apparently does atm.

Silver badge

@AMBxx

Bile green would be best (to represent the anger of the user)

Silver badge

Re: pink?

Period operating W10: 18 months

Number of BSODs: 2 (possibly 3)

Not fabulous but hardly serious.

Bronze badge

Blond would suit it well.

Green, pink, brown, blonde.....

I couldn't give a flying f##k what colour it is, it's not coming near any hardware I own.

Anonymous Coward

My money is on RED as it will complete the primary colour set (red, green, blue).

Although we are rather splitting hairs here aren't we, as it really doesn't matter what colour your screen is when your OS has gone tits-up.

I've had another thought behind Microsoft's thought process maybe the screen colour is meant to mirror the colour of the users face?

Re: Green, pink, brown, blonde.....

Thanks, your input was very valuable. Just why did you come here, anyway? Ran out of other places to hate?

Silver badge

Has anybody ever found anything useful in the text spewed out in a BSOD? Genuinely curious.

I'd normally not bother answering, but if you really are genuinely curious - the name of the file where the fault occurred, the name of the error, and the error code are actually very useful. Several times, they allowed me to pinpoint which bit of hardware was faulty or which driver was buggy.

In Windows 10, not really - it just gives you a reason such as "Memory Management". I then use a useful utility called Blue Screen View - that shows you what caused the crash, what drivers were running etc.

Silver badge

When I had a series of crashes and random reboots on my home PC a year or so ago, the BSOD it kicked out gave me enough of a hint (googling the error code, etc.) to go and run memtest86 to verify the problem - a DIMM module with an intermittent fault. Thankfully Corsair do a lifetime warranty on them.

Def
Silver badge

As has been mentioned, the name of the driver is sometimes immediately helpful, and the four hex values printed next to it can be decoded to give more precise information as to what's actually wrong.

Of course, if it's a reoccurring problem (that doesn't prevent the machine from actually starting) it's far better to enable memory dumps and just load one of them in WinDBG which gives you the same information that's on screen and a whole lot more.

Bronze badge

Quite recently I was able to pinpoint the cause of the crash as being a bug in the driver for the wireless NIC (as opposed to a bug somewhere else or more worringly a hardware problem) with nothing more than the info from the bluescreen (not even a photo or such, everything written down by hand) and access to the original system.

For going deeper than that you typically need a crash dump or an attached kernel debugger though.

Silver badge

Yes, one of my hard drives were dying causing errors, stick of ram went bad and one instance where a power supply was going bad.

Bronze badge

Yes, regularly.

Like, in the transition days between IDE and SATA, I could immediately identify when the BIOS had reset the interface type and windows couldn't boot (ie distinguish that from the disk failing).

I can identify which driver needs updating, or which bit of hardware needs removing as there's no better driver.

There's a lot of crap in there, but the error text (eg BOOT_DEVICE_INACESSIBLE) and the first hex code (eg 0xC0000008) is very useful.

Silver badge

BSODs are useful

Google the hex codes it gives, if it is a common problem you'll have the explanation and perhaps fix for it.

Gimp

BSOD codes ARE useful

I guess I've fixed too many PCs.

The first number of the stop error code gives you an idea of what is going on. 7B is the classic inaccessible boot device....(device drivers for reading your c:\ drive not loaded) other numbers indicate other things. Most problems are down to drivers breaking. Third party driver updates are wonderful for this! ROFL!

Anyway most other drivers can be disabled in the registry, and marked as do not hang if it fails to load. (requires offline registry editing)

Memory dumps are also great, a if they're recored and a free pc to put all the debugging tools on

Standard disclaimer: Applicable for all versions prior to Win10.

Anonymous Coward

Microsoft creators a Bloater Edition?

I'm getting the feeling the Creators Edition is going to be a bloat monster of unnecessary feature creep. A fully updated 1607AU Windows 10 is actually quite good at the moment on a range of hardware, including the older Intel Core2Duo+Nvidia hardware still in use.

Now (or soon) might be the time to bail from the full Windows 10 Update conveyor belt. Stick with just monthly "manual" security updates via Windows Catalog.

Silver badge

Re: Microsoft creators a Bloater Edition?

Just wondering, how can MS drop support for hardware if they're pushing the continual upgrade treadmill that is the last ever version of Windows?

"Your Windows 10 computer is now not secure, please buy a new Windows 10 computer" would go down like a lead balloon.

Silver badge

Dunno, but the message will start with:

"Free support is coming to an end"

Anonymous Coward

"Your Windows 10 computer is now not secure, please buy a new Windows 10 computer" would go down like a lead balloon.

Since when did MS care about their cash cows?

Silver badge

You can put lipstick on a pig but a crash is still a crash, coming soon nice soothing hold music just to complete that really pissed off customer experience.

Anonymous Coward

Alternative OS? Tried the Live USB of Fedora 25

Alternative OS? I tried the Live USB of Fedora 25 this week.

I'm in 2 minds as to whether the interface is better than Linux Mint, it's certainly prettier, yet still very straightforward (more Mac like than Windows), especially once you start typing to find things.

With its pretty simplified interface icons, with a little practice it could be the best interface yet for the young or older generation that want a fully featured simplified interface PC all there on a USB stick, everything is generally easy to find and straightforward. I do like Mint 18.1 though.

A few things stupidly letting Fedora 25 down though:

Worth trying, but word of warning, don't use Windows based Fedora Media Writer to create the USB, it mostly crashes on opening in Windows 7. For all the work that went into Fedora 25, like Windows 10*, they rushed out a buggy media creation tool. Use Rusfus or something else, to create the Live USB from the ISO.

A bit of history.

*The Windows 10 Media Creation tool failed to check for disk space, had no resume feature when GBs of download failed, needed 3x the disk space to expand downloaded files (you couldn't choose the disk). So a 6GB 32/64bit ISO of Windows 10 needed around 20GB of free Drive C disk space. Not something many have, having upgraded to SSDs. Often just errored out with the meme 'Something happened'.

It was basically shit on release of Windows 10 1507.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Alternative OS? Tried the Live USB of Fedora 25

Nobody is interested in hearing you talk about Linux. We all know Linux exists.

Silver badge

We all know Windows exists too, but look, here we are.

Always good to know which Linux distros currently offer the best user experience and as well as which Windows versions (7).

Bronze badge

You don't need to 'create' anything. Just use rawrite to copy the ISO the USB stick.

I'm in the process of trying to go Mint, it has not been painless.

Sure the OS install was a breeze, everything after that..... The daily updates it needs are a pain, I'm getting an awful lot of practice typing my password. The first job I tried to do with it required real Java not the pseudo good-enough-for-webshit NotJava that was installed. Getting that was a bollock ache. Then the applet (is that the right buzzword for a Java application?) utterly failed to run. Write once run anywhere? The only part that was easy was the USB driver (only part available in the package manager). Give up use a Win7 laptop instead.

Next the non jobs I use a laptop for when stuck in a hotel room, watching iPlayer (nope) or watching Amazon (nope again). I can watch FuckallworthwatchingTube though. All three allegedly use run anywhere HTML5. Give up and use a Win7 laptop instead.

There's no hope on earth of the applications (SCADA & PLC tools) I use in most of my day job ever finding their way to Linux.

I starting to even doubt my next SQL+Perl job will be as easy on Linux as the penguinistas would have me believe.

I haven't tried Libre Office yet, if the spreadsheet gets me a customisable experience anywhere near Excel, Visio & Terd 2007 I shall persist with the above issues. If it's as customisable as The Fucking Ribbon™ I may as well stick with the devil I know, learn how to use the Office 2016 deployment tool (fuckyou very much indeed MS for making the 2016 installer all or nothing) and give up on linux. When Win7 goes EOL I'll just be heading up to the roof, I may be a while.

I have 20 years of my working life left, I seriously doubt I will ever be as productive as I was on XP + Office 2007.

Silver badge

So you are use to onedOS, but not the other. Big surprise you find it more difficult to use the new one!

On the plus-side, Linux updates won't use all your computer resources for ages. I do not recognise having to input my password a lot during upgrades though.

Java is now owned by Oracle, who are feeling litigious. Would could possibly go wrong?

Blame Amazon and goddam forced licence financed "public service" BBC for not supporting Linux properly. Doesn't Amazon rely on that relic Sliverlight from MS? (Yes, the Silverlight MS now want to kill, like most things MS have done. Just like Adobe tries to kill Flash, but it just won't die.)

I can understand Amazon being paranoid, but the BBC?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017