back to article Windows Server 2016's VM migration tools broken by a patch

Microsoft's had to hurry out a fix for a problem that breaks live VM migration. And it's a problem Redmond brought upon itself with an Update Rollup to System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager. Update Rollup 1 for that tool has the unintended side effect of making it impossible to migrate live VMs between different versions …

1. dan1980

"It's early days for Windows Server 2016 and production implementations will be few and far between, so not many will need to worry about this problem."

On the contrary, I think everyone running MS has a cause to worry because this is the new order when you combine the new heavy pushing of updates with the same MS quality control.

1. TheVogon

Lucky that we test updates before putting them into production environments then....

1. dan1980

Indeed. Lucky that you have the resources for that. Because, let's not kid anyone - properly testing updates is not cheap.

Because you never know what an update might affect, proper testing needs not just some VMs but full independent, representative hardware. After all, what happens if a software update causes some low-level issue that affects communication to your SAN, but only with specific HBAs. To catch that, you'd need to ensure you're using the same HBAs and same SAN back-end as you use in your production environment.

You also have to make sure that all those components are configured the same and running same firmware and patches and updates and hotfixes as the production kit. And running similar loads because what happens if the bug only occurs when a process or load reaches some saturation point.

And how long do you test for? Because some bugs are only apparent after quite some time. And do you test updates one at a time or in batches?

And just think of all the possible updates - firmware, drives, OS patches, infrastructure updates, application patches - that's a lot, especially if you're diligently testing each one.

And what if you have several, such systems? Each has to be replicated and tested.

Testing is always best practice, but it's also a trade-off and, at some point, testing even potentially critical bugs can be out of reach because those bugs may only occur in very specific situations.

2. Captain DaFt

"MS quality control."

Did they ever get the memo that it is not the same procedure as pest control?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds to me like the unintended early release of feature they been working on in the lab ;)

3. JJKing
    Facepalm

A new oxymoron

MS quality control.

That is alone the same lines as:

Army intelligence

Hell's Angels

Found missing

Well known secret

and my favourite,

Microsoft Works. (but only if it isn't patched) :-)

4. PeterM42
    FAIL

Testing, Testing......

...Testing, 1 - 2 - OH BOLLOCKS!

5. fredesmite
    Mushroom

Windows is such a turd

I am amazed it still is around ..

1. Maventi

Re: Windows is such a turd

"I am amazed it still is around .."

There's little more than inertia keeping it going these days. Pity it has such a large mass.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon