back to article Santa says you've been nice kids: OpenVPN to get security audit

Johns Hopkins University crypto professor Dr Matthew Green is to lead a security audit of OpenVPN 2.4. The open source VPN project, published at GitHub, has been compiled for everything from Solaris to Windows, passing various Linux and BSD distributions along the way (including OSX); Windows and Android (and jailbroken iOSs …

Silver badge

Good to see this being done, we (as in privacy-conscious individuals or businesses throughout the world) will benefit from a VPN technique that has no major shortcoming to allow mass surveillance. PIA deserve kudos for doing so.

Of course, if other organisations would ditch PPTP for once and for all it would also be a great step forward!

Silver badge

Thank you, PIA

Good to see companies paying back to the Free software that they're based on. More like this, please, industry! I'll try to remember the name for next time I'm looking for a VPN solution. That's Private Internet Access, the kids, at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ . (No I have nothing to do with them at all, honest.)

correction: no openvpn in anyconnect

Cisco AnyConnect has no OpenVPN code integrated.

Here's the software Cisco does use in anyconnect:

This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit: http://www.openssl.org

This product includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young (eay@cryptsoft.com)

This product includes software written by Tim Hudson (tjh@cryptsoft.com)

This product incorporates the libcurl HTTP library: Copyright (c) 1996 - 2006, Daniel Stenberg, <daniel@haxx.se>.

PIA have done a great job but if we talk about the vpn service then purevpn at its best.

Even though Iam using Ivacy VPN as its the most affordable with all the features other VPN's give, but for this action i must give credit to PIA.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017