back to article Burning desire helped us collar arson suspect, claim Danish cops

A Danish man being tried for arson offences might have not have been nabbed by cops if he hadn’t stopped for a five-knuckle shuffle in public, a police spokesman told a local TV crew. The unnamed 41-year-old suspect was arrested in February and charged with 14 counts of fire-starting in Odense, the third largest city in the …

1. Bob Wheeler
    Stop

... the man was “without much social contact”.

Well to be honest, it's not a good trait for attracting partners if you set fire to place after you just had some intimate relations with them.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: ... the man was “without much social contact”.

Maybe he was just having a post-coital ciggy & dropped the match?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Millennium Episode

Season 1 episode 5 522666

Dealt with blowing things up and the bad guy leaving a little something behind after watching the explosion

Yes, yes, mine is the fireproof raincoat...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meta-Human Super power ?

So whenever this guy deposits his DNA, buildings burst into flames ?

1. IsJustabloke
      Devil

Re: Meta-Human Super power ?

I wonder if you've ever seen a film called "The devil In Miss Jones" ? Teh devil in question had some quite fiery DNA.... er... apparently.

2. DNTP
      Coat

I have this exact power, only replace "DNA" with "T-butyl Lithium" and "buildings" with "my lab bench".

Note 1: I have a deliberately fire-retardant labwork coat, purchased with my own money because it seemed like a good investment,

Note 2: The way to tell if the stuff is still good is when the little bit on the end of the transfer needle catches on fire you get a chemistry boner from handling it.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

@DNTP

Have you considered a safer job, like lion tamer or vulcanologist?

3. patrickstar

Reminds me of Postal 2, when the Postal Dude gets gonorrhea. It makes him piss fire, which can even be used as a weapon...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So finally someone ..

.. who *does* smoke after sex. With himself.

5. Sleep deprived
    Holmes

Do the Danish plods have a DNA DB or everyone?

Or do they have one of those DNA+GPS trackers from sci-fi movies?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Do the Danish plods have a DNA DB or everyone?

Danes?

Ah, you're referring to the Prüm extensions of the Schengen database, apparently!

The Prüm Convention is a treaty which was signed on 27 May 2005 ....Transnational DNA Profile exchange or ' Schengen III'

According to open source Wikipedia and the British journal of Criminology http://www.bjc.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/6/1117.abstract

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Do the Danish plods have a DNA DB or everyone?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17594404/

Umbilical cord DNA accurately captures the new child's sequence (and gives quite a good clue as to the parentage) apparently

So, no, not everyone. . .

6. Kernel

Hardly conclusive

"........ his colleagues were confident they’d found their man because the arson incidents stopped after he was cuffed."

Sorry guys, but you'll need a little more than that if I'm on the jury.

Maybe the suspect does get a boner from watching fires, but unless they actually found his DNA at multiple fire scenes it's not beyond reasonable doubt that the actual arsonist got run over by a bus after this man was arrested, hence the coincidental cessation of arson attacks.

1. Stevie

Re: Hardly conclusive

The reasonable doubt has to be about the bloke accused, not some nebulous third party you made up to play devil's advocate.

In order for this doubt to be "reasonable" you'd have to demonstrate that the other bloke, the one run down by a bus, actually existed. As in a corpse, preferably smelling of smoke, lying in a morgue in Odense. Without that your doubt could be called unreasonable by the prosecutor.

Absent national news coverage about Mr Fist von Offderwrist, the lack of new deliberately-set fires is persuasive, if circumstantial.

1. Kernel

No, it's not persuasive at all - they found evidence of his presence 'in the locale' of two fires - not at the actual site of two fires.

Circumstantial evidence is useful as corroboration, but it's very rare that it can convict on its own.

It's not up to the prosecutor to determine if my doubt is reasonable or not either - that is for me to determine. The last time I was called for jury service was about a week after a detective had admitted to a judge that he had given false evidence in a number of cases to obtain a conviction - my statement that I felt all evidence put forward by the police would be subject of 'reasonable doubt' after reading about this in the national newspapers was sufficient for me to be excused.

1. Stevie

So you know how to dodge jury duty by exaggerating your paranoia into "reasonable doubt".

I know one foreign consultant who is an incompetent lying bumbler. Should I assume all foreign consultants are fit only to be shipped "back where they came from" or is that unreasonable of me?

And by being rejected as a juror you proved conclusively that part of that prosecutor's job was indeed to judge your doubts as unreasonable.

The lack of persuasiveness you are citing is from reports in a newspaper, not statements in evidence. No-one has been sworn in before speaking. No doubt forensic evidence will be offered to back up the contention that Sir Wanksalot is guilty of arson.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Danish Blue

Code Red

8. Francis Boyle Silver badge

If he gets off on fire that much

why didn't he just rent a Michael Bay movie?

1. DNTP

Re: Michael Bay

While everyone can agree that setting a Michael Bay DVD on fire is funny, ironic, and more productive than watching it, technically rentals belong to someone else so that's still a crime.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Evidence

Perhaps the fires were started to destroy evidence of his 'other' activities.

1. rototype

Re: Evidence

Or perhaps when this evidence was presented to him he 'fessed up to the crimes - what we really need is an update on the story as to what happened once it made it to court (if it did). Playmobile recreation optional in this case...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon