back to article Alibaba's lights are on in Australia, but hardly anyone is home

Alibaba's Aliyun cloud may have switched on in Australia, but hardly anyone is home: the company has hired only a modest support team and is yet to hire the consultants, evangelists and other staff to help it achieve its stated aim of encouraging organisations to take their on-premises apps into the cloud. At a press event in …

1. hmas

History repeating itself.

Huawei's launch into Enterprise IT was no different. Lots of shiny and, admittedly impressive, new kit and an even shinier new office, but a small team of, inevitably Chinese consultants that were expected to install, commission, configure, train partners and make the inevitable calls back to China to sort out technical issues.

It''ll be interesting to what, if any appetite there is or what Alibaba's value proposition is.

2. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

Pedantry

Yu named onlyAccenture as a partner

When did Accenture rebrand?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pedantry

"When did Accenture rebrand?"

Monday.

(It's a bit obscure.Sorry).

1. Steve K

Re: Pedantry

"We've got your name, La,La,La!"

"Everybody knows, we've got your name"

"We've love donkeys La,La,La!"

"Everybody knows, we've got your name"

3. Slumberingjournalist

Target small business...

Small business is exempt from (and often ignorant of) many Australian Privacy laws and regulations. So, "customer" data (i.e. Personal data) will be winging it's way to a Chinese server without oversight? Awesome!

4. cioldarai

Chinese Government Backed Cloud Provider....Yeah right!

There's pretty much no circumstance I could think of to use or recommend anyone using a cloud hosting provider that has Chinese Government backing. Imagine putting any kind of sensistive information and expecting the Chinese Government not to be sending that straight to their manufacturers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chinese Government Backed Cloud Provider....Yeah right!

Thank goodness you told me that, from here on in I'm sticking to American Cloud providers because the US government would never use their signals intelligence unit to snoop on the conversations or data of foreign nationals.

And even if they did the US always has our best interests at heart ..

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. GortonSM

Playing catch-up ...

Since regional staffing levels will be proportional to customer numbers, I expect this to be the case everywhere outside of mainland China. Even here in Hong Kong there's little to no appetite for AliCloud.

Granted Alicloud is less costly than proper "industrial-strength" cloud providers but their service offerings are weak and number of availability zones are lacking - along with their support staff.

Not a viable cloud provider so buyer beware.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like