back to article Microsoft just got its Linux Foundation platinum card, becomes top level member

Microsoft has joined The Linux Foundation as a Platinum member, the highest level of membership. The news was announced at the company's Connect developer event in New York. The Linux Foundation is a non-profit trade association which supports and promotes the Linux operating system and related projects, including Node.js, Xen …

Anonymous Coward

"Now one-third of the virtual machines (VMs) in Microsoft's Azure cloud run Linux, according to director of program management Corey Saunders."

Cutting down on eating their own dogsh*t^H^H^H^Hfood then?

Silver badge
FAIL

Would someone like to point out how VM's work to the AC?

Silver badge

@Lost all faith...

AC may have been referring to this venerable article...

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2002/11/21/ms_paper_touts_unix/

Silver badge

'More Linux love' - I think I preferred the old Miscrosoft that said what it believed...

...'Linux is cancer'...

Bronze badge
Windows

Mcirosoft wants world domination too.

They may interoperate with Linux, but they haven't joined the Free Software Foundation.

Silver badge
Pirate

Great news!

It is wonderful that Microsoft is finally embracing Linux, and shows their faith in Linux as a competent operating system worthy of sharing rack space with Windows.

I'm sure as things progress, Microsoft will gladly assist Linus and the rest of the fine folks working on the kernel to improve interoperability between the two systems - possibly by extending things in the kernel to work better under Azure.

And as things continue moving forward, we'll come to a future where problems and conflict between Microsoft and the Linux community will be extinguished.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Great news!

"...embracing Linux"

Linux didn't set out to destroy any 1 OS, it set out to provide a free alternative (RedHat sort of mutated that). Now what part of that has Microsofy embraced? Embrace like a loan shark.

Bronze badge

Until they fork it, and make an incompatible version of "Microsoft Linux". The evil Microsoft is still there right at the heart.

Silver badge

"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." - Linus

Bonus: "If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won." - Linus

Bronze badge

"Until they fork it". I'd be more concerned about poisoning the well.

Silver badge
Coat

>I'd be more concerned about poisoning the well.

Systemd got there first.

Bronze badge
Coat

"Until they f**k it"

FTFY.

Mines the one with the full SCO manual set in the pocket, thanks.

Ooof!

Happy

very good.

Have an upvote for hiding 'embrace, extend, extinguish' in there.

Which turns your post from a piece of apparent well meaning simpering, to something rather more dripping in sarcasm.

Steven R

Silver badge
Pint

I'm glad somebody finally got it...I was beginning to worry that I'd been too subtle.

Er.... In the real world, Linux sometimes shares rack space with a Windows server (but his is becoming more and more rare).

Why would any company want to use WIndows and who cares about interoperability - Windows is dead!

I'm glad somebody finally got it...I was beginning to worry that I'd been too subtle.

I went to the comments and immediately searched for "embrace". Well played, Sir.

Silver badge
Windows

A good start would be if MS would accept that NTFS is not the only FS out there.

Did I miss the <sarcasm> tags?

Silver badge

I can almost smell the sarcasm coming out of my screen reading this! Ha ha!

Anonymous Coward

"Why would any company want to use WIndows and who cares about interoperability - Windows is dead!"

Well in a sense you're right and in a sense you're also wrong.

It's just my opinion and many will probably disagree with it, but yes windows is fucked beyond repair and in that sense dead.

BUT..

That won't stop it meandering about trying to chew lumps out of the competition and trying to poison / infest it with the same rancid shit that brought about it's own demise (the if I'm going I'm taking as many as I can with me type mentality).

In my humble opinion it is best to think of Microsoft as you would zombie from the walking dead and you won't go far wrong.

Silver badge

The Linux Foundation is a vendor's club. It may fund development but it doesn't do it.

Silver badge

Apparently Microsoft is a top Linux vendor. Who knew?

Bronze badge
Windows

Buy Microsoft Linux

Around the new year, there will be 400,000,000 copies of Windows 10 Ubuntu Linux. However, Redmond makes a lot of money by hosting Linux VMs in its Azure cloud.

Silver badge
Linux

If you're running a recent linux kernel there's probably Microsoft code in there, they put a lot of effort into making sure linux would run well on HyperV.

Silver badge

Embrace...

...what's next? I forget.

Silver badge

Re: Embrace...

Embrace...Extend....Android?

Anonymous Coward

Darn, I just came here to collect those up votes.

Next time I tell you... next time...

Devil

• Embrace:: choosing to support Linux-based OSes on Azure.
  • Extend: the Hyper-V client code in the kernel.
  • Extinguish: have they given up?

Silver badge

.... have they given up?

Maybe, it'd be like pissing on a large forest fire.

My response at the moment is 'mummy, mummy, Microsoft is trying to ingratiate themselves.'

Silver badge

"The Linux Foundation is a non-profit trade association which supports and promotes the Linux operating system and related projects..."

Supports and promotes?

Is that anything like embrace and extend?

Anonymous Coward

So just to get this straight, has Linux embraced and extended Windows? The next step may administer the coup de grace.

I'm working on my exit strategy to one of the BSDs.

Anonymous Coward

I think it's clear we have to watch out for ..

.. Microsoft Windows & services being a cancer.

After all, cancer cells start off as benign as well. I don't believe in sudden changes to DNA..

Silver badge

Linux Desktops

...many areas where Windows and Linux are in competition, such as in the on-premises desktop...

I'm no Linux hater, but is Linux on the desktop really much of a competition to Windows?

Re: Linux Desktops

> I'm no Linux hater, but is Linux on the desktop really much of a competition to Windows?

Well we do seem to start each year with an announcement of this being the year of Linux on the desktop...

Have you heard of Chromebooks?

Google's recent moves around it's 'linux' have put it very much in the enterprise market, along with google apps. They've put clear water between what they do for google architecture and what they do for the linux ecosystem.

Microsoft is perhaps trying to have a position via "my enemies, enemy" strategy.

Anonymous Coward

Google's recent moves around it's 'linux' have put it very much in the enterprise market, along with google apps. They've put clear water between what they do for google architecture and what they do for the linux ecosystem.

The only problem is that I wouldn't want anything made or done by Google handling confidential business data, so that's out. We'll stick with Debian, thanks.

As for the Year of the Linux Desktop, given that they have had more Years of the Desktop than Microsoft I'd call it a success :). On a more serious note, it's a bit of chicken and egg issue: applications do not arrive because it's not an oft used desktop, and it's not an oft used desktop because few business quality applications exist.

On servers, however, Linux has definitely deserved a place. If it's really big, web based and absolutely has to work even under load, Linux seems to be an easy default to pick..

Silver badge

"On servers, however, Linux has definitely deserved a place. If it's really big, web based and absolutely has to work even under load, Linux seems to be an easy default to pick.."

I think theres a chicken and egg thing there too:

- Windows used to be really unreliable, unstable and not fit for puurpose so all the architects that build big scale must work solutions do it on linux

- No-one knows how to (or ever does) do that stuff on Windows because all the people who 'know what they are doing' insist it must be done on linux

Having worked on two 'Digital Transformation' projects in the last three years its funny that:

- the small/medium sized one built on Windows was very stable having its 1st downtime 6 months in and that was taken down on purpose as a weird security issue with the app reared its head at year end.

- the big volume one built on Linux had 6 unplanned outages in the first 3 months all technical all due to architectural stability issues.

It wasn't actually a Linux issue with the big one. Crap architects rushed a solution live that hadn't been OAT'd properly and issues with the JVMs falling over in certain conditions, DB falling over in certain conditions, etc caused various outages. In both cases the servers were rock solid.

Anyway, I am agnostic server wise (not a techie). Just relaying experience. Just because its built on Linux doesn't mean its stable in my experience. Same for Windows but the historic inherent stability issues with Windows servers I haven't seen for a long time.

Silver badge

Have you tried Windows 10? I put it on a VM here and after trying it out, only fire it up when I really have to. The Win7 VM gets way more use, and the Linux host way more than that.

The only thing stopping Linux from really making inroads is the poor support from providers of commercial software (and hardware - lack of decent drivers). If they produced Linux versions of their products then I suspect quite a few people would switch from Win7 to Linux once they'd experienced Win10.

Boring!

Google insist that their users use their own version of Ubuntu called Gubuntu and they really don't like WIndows being used at all.

Just about every company I work out now uses Linux on the desktop. It is so tiresome to have to use a WIndows PC that is SO limited in what it can do.

Any modern company realises that you don't need WIndows any more.

Silver badge

Microsoft is a Business

Hi,

Since Microsoft is a business - then i would be rather sceptical or suspicious of the fox joining the Chicken Management, Security, Policy, and Processes Board.

I am not aware of the Linux system design and management processes - but the only reason i can see Microsoft joining any Linux organisation is to improve their revenue in the long term.

This could be achieved by Microsoft providing tools and services gratis, and then charging for them later.

Alternatively, they could provide IP and patented code for free, and again charge for them once every system is embedded with said code, where it is difficult to remove.

Microsoft have a vast resource and could utilise this for their legal work in reneging on previous agreements.

I don't see it as a problem if they follow Oracle and provide their own flavour, as long as no code/agreements are in place with the main Linux code which Microsoft has any control over.

Regards,

Shadmeister.

Silver badge

Re: Microsoft is a Business

RE: "Since Microsoft is a business - then i would be rather sceptical or suspicious of the fox joining the Chicken Management, Security, Policy, and Processes Board"

I heard that HP, IBM, Fujitsu, Oracle, Samsung, Qualcomm, et al were also businesses, and also members of the Linux Foundation. Lot of foxes in that hen house, huh. Those poor little penguin chicks must be trembling in their nests with all those predators sneaking round at night.

Silver badge

Re: Lot of foxes in that hen house, huh.

The company names mentioned do not write Operating systems (not at least to remotely the same degree as Microsoft does).

Each of those names benefits their own business strategy by making their product work with Linux, without there being any conflict of interest.

We know Microsoft's game of old. I would guess that we will see Linux apps being produced by Microsoft, which will initially work atop any flavour of Linux, but then they will become less and less compatible the more and more that they develop their own flavour of Linux, which they will then charge for. And/Or their apps will be developed to only run on Microsoft hardware. I'm thinking Surface here - Microsoft seem to be developing that side of their empire. Now how many times would that prediction have to be spouted annually before it becomes true?

Silver badge

"And/Or their apps will be developed to only run on Microsoft hardware."

And no-one else does that do they? Actually Microsoft don't do they? Didn't they make all their money by making an OS that would run on any x86 hardware . . .

This post has been deleted by its author

The company names mentioned do not write Operating systems (not at least to remotely the same degree as Microsoft does).

Um, HP-UX, IBM AIX, IBM z/OS, Solaris -- all of these are operating systems to me (and I only mentioned the major ones in active development, there are others).

And about Surface and app exclusivity, okay, but there are two sides to that coin. Why would Microsoft be persuaded to offer some functionality if they don't control the hardware? Think about Surface Studio and its special flavor of Windows 10. There is special functionality to the puck and the stylus along with special applications that only work on the Studio. Who's complaining? I don't see any other company offering anything remotely similar to the Studio that would now complain they were left out by Microsoft. They will only have a valid reason to complain if they agree with Microsoft to make Windows 10 studio edition to work on their hardware and then have Microsoft renege.

Silver badge

Re: Microsoft is a Business

"I heard that HP, IBM, Fujitsu, Oracle, Samsung, Qualcomm, et al were also businesses, and also members of the Linux Foundation."

All of those offer or depend on Linux in some way. Samsung & Qualcomm? What do you think all those Android gadgets run as their kernel.

Microsoft also offers Linux on Azure. Not, I suspect, because they particularly want to but because they have to. The market tells them to.

Silver badge

The quoted paragraph called microsoft a fox because it was a business, not because it wrote operating systems. I stopped reading there because I've read my quota of anti microsoft rants for the current month. I already know they're evil and only want to extinguish Linux with their embrace of death. Now microsoft is on the inside and close enough to embrace perhaps Linux can extinguish them. Small is agile, big is lumbering...a swift peck to the eyes...

Silver badge

Hi,

It is hard to tell what is anti-Microsoft and what is legitimate concerns with strategic scenarios provided to support possible issues of the future.

Either way - most are not anti-Microsoft, just exhausted from the stupidity and aggressive behaviour with which a company can try and quash the competition through underhand and disgraceful tactics, and at the same time treat customers with complete and utter contempt.

Regards,

Shadmeister.

Silver badge

I never said Microsoft wasn't evil incarnate, far above and beyond all the other evil big corps on the planet or that they don't recycle starving Ethiopian babies to end their miserable misery and power their Surface laptops in board meetings; just that I'd read quite enough about it for this month. I like to rinse my mental palette occasionally so I can return to the attack invigorated and eager for corporate blood. Where is Mr. Robot in these troubled times when we need him the most?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017