back to article FCC wants a word with AT&T about that zero-rated DirecTV streaming

The FCC is taking issue with AT&T over its plans to launch DirecTV as a zero-rated streaming video service. The US watchdog's Wireless Telecommunications Bureau has sent a letter [PDF] to AT&T's senior executive veep of external and legislative affairs asking the telecoms giant to address concerns that by omitting DirecTV from …

1. cyke1

Took them long enough after FCC went after others for same thing when they offered online streaming that didn't cost any monthly bandwidth.

1. BillG
      Facepalm

The head of the FCC, Tom Wheeler, is a former lobbyist for the cable industry. No surprise he overlooked the things his pals at AT&T wanted him to overlook.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This won't matter

The FCC's makeup is always 3-2 in favor of the president's party. When Trump switches the majority to republican, they'll abandon net neutrality entirely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This won't matter

I'll up vote you for spreading the idea that net neutrality is not of interest. I personally don't see how it exists at all with or without law. It's cool and all that people are to believe it makes a difference, but where has it?

I think the Verizon/Yahoo deal removes neutrality from providers and search engines, just as Google and Motorola did. Let's say for a fact I'm 100% wrong there, can you even mention 1 major deal that "Net Neutrality" has stopped? I can only give examples of where "Net Neutrality" has stopped nothing for monopolization, not a single one where it has helped competition. So maybe its entire concept is just a pony show for the common consumer. Sort of similar to that mythical citizens arrest.

Seriously, I hope I'm not sounding negative because that is not what I want. Just...what has Net Neutrality helped competition? Name something...anything.

1. fishman

"Just...what has Net Neutrality helped competition? Name something...anything."

If it has no effect, why are the ISPs like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T screaming about it? Why do the republicans want to kill it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"If it has no effect, why are the ISPs like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T screaming about it? Why do the republicans want to kill it?"

Are you really that dumb?

Strict or "hard" net neutrality transfers the costs to ISPs from Google and Facebook and Netflix. It puts new services that need price or performance discrimination at risk. None of this is good news if you are an ISP.

Seriously, dude.

2. William 3 Bronze badge

You know this, how?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pusing the envelope

Standard practice after some sort of regulation change or court decision. The carriers start pushing the boundaries to see what they can get away with, and what not.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately...

The FCC's attempts to rein in various Pay TV and ISP providers is probably going to be undone by the new Trump administration. Free market and all that, except for ISP customers.

5. MR J

Dump the FCC

I think they need to kick the FCC out of the country, and put up a wall so they cant come back in.

They should make the FCC pay for the wall!

Trump can make it happen!.

1. Charles 9

Re: Dump the FCC

Then how will you keep favoritism off the Internet. Com cast would be free to prioritize NBC/Universal content over say Viacom, and for many this would become a Hobson's Choice.

6. Charles 9

Everyone wants to kick out government interference...until they're reminded of the Gilded Age and The Jungle.

7. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Technically possible?

What happens when thousands of people actually try to stream all sorts of HD content over one tower of a mobile data network?

Is this even technically possible?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like