back to article Trump's plan: Tariffs on electronics, ban on skilled tech migrants, turn off the internet

The United States Presidential Election has been run and at the time of writing looks almost certainly to have been won by Donald Trump. Which means we now have a decent idea of what's in store for the global technology industry in the next four years. And it looks like a wild ride: Trump's policies include a clamp down on H- …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And we thought BREXIT was bad

El Presidente Trump is a climate change denier as well.

Farage will be jumping for joy at his mate Donald getting elected where he couldn't.

As for the likes of Apple facing import tariffs then what about Samsung? They will be hit by the same tariff as Apple, Huawei, HTC, Xaomi and the rest. So don't just single out Apple. Anything made in China will get hit and so will anything made in Europe and the rest of the world.

Quel surprise when the rest of the world retaliate with levies on US made goods.

What price those US Manufacturing jobs then?

1. Loud Speaker Bronze badge

Re: And we thought BREXIT was bad

The only things America exports are Hollywood movies and Gangsta rap. We can download those for free (although Nollywood and Bollywood movies and Afrobeat music are a lot more fun).

1. Sacioz

The idea that marijuana can be legalised for the common good , is being exported as well ....8-))

1. Mark 110 Silver badge

I read a book recently that made a incredible argument for drug prohibition doing more harm than good to everyone but most of all the people that fall victim to drugs. Its a very good book - great true life detective story first and foremost but also devasting indictment of the way we treat the unfortunate addicts as criminals instead of victims.

Good Cop, Bad War by Neil Woods

A very recommended read. And the main thing I took away is that heroin /crack addicts should be given prescription drugs instead of being forced into crime and prostitution. This would remove the revenue stream for the dealers and ultimately remove the illegal supply and therefore reduce the number of new addicts.

As for marijuana? Less harmful than alcohol in my long and wide ranging experience. Prohibition is ridiculous (and I think that even though it makes me a bit paranoid so I don't touch the stuff).

2. JetSetJim Silver badge
      Mushroom

On the plus side, the UK is no longer the global village idiot for the Brexit vote.

1. Yesnomaybe

"On the plus side, the UK is no longer the global village idiot for the Brexit vote"

No, I think there is probably room for two idiots. The scary thing about the US, is that it is such a big and powerful idiot.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Look on the bright side, the pound may revalue against the dollar as it sinks

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

But what about the price rises already announced by various companies?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

re The price rises and any possible reduction

Do Pigs fly?

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Look on the bright side, the pound may revalue against the dollar as it sinks"

I the very short term, yes.

In the long term, unlikely. More likely to drop together with the USD.

3. Tom Paine Silver badge

No sign of that so far. Ironically, USD is seen as a safe haven asset, it tends to rise during "risk off" periods. https://www.fxstreet.com/rates-charts/gbpusd/chart

(Pick "Intraday 1' " from the time period dropdown. Or go "tick by tick" for almost-live market data fun!)

4. Ledswinger Silver badge

Why is that a bright side? The UK has lived beyond its means for decades. We import too much, don't export enough, and we have a balance of payments and a balance of trade problem. If your idea of a good outcome is the UK buying ever more cheap foreign tat on the back of rising indebtedness, then yes.

If you want an economy rebalanced from imports, with some credible balance of payments, a stronger manufacturing sector, and the excess weight of the City of London trimmed back, then you should be delighted that sterling has fallen and stayed down. The price of that is admittedly higher import prices (gas, raw materials, some foods, foreign holidays) so as we see already there will be inflationary pressure and a modest squeeze on living standards, but you'd have to be mad to want to see our macro-economic situation revert to where it has been for the past fifteen or twenty years.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

"The scary thing about the US, is that it is such a big and powerful idiot."

Lead by what I think Vladimir Illyich would have called a willing tool.

Of is that "fool" ?

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: "The scary thing about the US, is that it is such a big and powerful idiot."

@John Smith 19

As a chemist, It is always a surprise and a source of humour to me when I come across "lead" instead of led. Especially in a periodical that deals (partly) with scientific subjects. I am reminded of my favourite corny joke about the guy who was the lead guitarist in a heavy metal band.

3. A. A. McAdams

After the whole world has made it abundantly clear, we are not welcome. We threaten to pick up our marbles, come home & rebuild our own country for a change, & everyone freaks out? Yes, we have more than our fair share of ignoramuses. [proof some would argue we need those schools more than Afghanistan] The big secret to our country is no secret, we build it better for our future citizens & kids. & part of the anger domestically is we've dumped all this cash across the planet, for a generation & the thanks we get is 9/11 rather than universal peace. [we've done this play before, Kellogg-Brian Pact, feel free to google it, IF Brussels/Moscow/Beijing lets you] So, by 75k votes in 3 or 4 states, we've decided to clean our own house, 1st. I'm not happy about it, but the "global village" has done this 2 or 3 times since the end of WW2. Now it's our turn, this was what Bush was elected to do before 9/11 [He was against "nation building" during the campaign] If the Republicans blow it again, they're finished as a party. Yeah, we're idiots, for waiting so long.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Tump is a limited-time experience, wheras Brexit is not.

1. Jemma Silver badge

Trump is now in charge of nuclear weapons... So much for short term effects...

"A curious game, the only winning move is not to play... " describes the 2016 election perfectly.

I really wanted to learn how to swim...

1. Serif

> I really wanted to learn how to swim...

Given his views on climate change, that could still be a strong possibility.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Tump is a limited-time experience

The Russians probably thought that about Putin, too.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"The Russians probably thought that about Putin, too."

I doubt that. Unless they were naive teenagers.

Not even Trump can change the constitution. That's the light at the end of the tunnel.

1. batfink

Trump can't change the constitution, but he can use the same techniques he's just used in the election to persuade enough punters to believe the constitution should be changed, then it could happen. I refer you to any number of other tinpot presidents...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Not even Trump can change the constitution"

Really, what are amendments?

3. Kiwi
              Coat

Not even Trump can change the constitution.

True. After the last refudlian was done with it there wasn't anything left to change!

2. Voyna i Mor Silver badge

Putin succeeded Yeltsin just like Blair succeeded Major, except that Yeltsin was an awful lot worse than Major. The situation is very different. Trump may yet prove to the the Yeltsin that the US will want to get away from. (I don't know; perhaps he will be better than expected? Previous presidents didn't have either the same 24 hour scrutiny or the same inability to keep their traps shut. Some of them might actually have been worse people than Trump.)

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Putin succeeded Yeltsin just like Blair succeeded Major, except that Yeltsin was an awful lot worse than Major. The situation is very different.

I was referring more to the "time-limited", Putin was supposed to be term-limited as well, but he found a way around that.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Joke

Nonsense.

Everyone loves Dobby.

3. rdhood

ALL U.S. Presidents are a time limited experiment, and we have a Constitution that prevents too much damage by one person. I look at world headlines and wonder if they realize how the U.S. actually works.

The President can't create any laws by himself, can't negotiate/pass any treaties by himself, can't renig on any treaties by himself. The President can sign (or veto) bills into law. He can applie his policies to carrying out the executive branch (example, he can choose to not enforce immigration law or marijuana drug laws), he can appoint ambassadors/judges/ dept heads (including the supreme court justices). He is commander in chief of the armed services, but he cannot declare war. He can create regulations through existing federal government.

Thus, he is not responsible for the economy (though he often gets credit , good or bad), he is not responsible for the price of gas/oil, he is not responsible for the budget (though he can veto it or propose a budget).

He CANNOT build a wall.

He CANNOT deport every illegal immigrant (he can try, but would run out of money).

He CANNOT change the tax code in any way, though he can encourage the IRS to interpret things his way.

... and so on and so forth. So forget the hyperbole. Life will go on.

4. Fungus Bob Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: @anonymous boring coward

Upvote for "TUMP"...

3. Slx

No, you're just the court jester now which is a major improvement.

4. zen1

Some of us actually respected the UK even more for telling Brussels to piss off.

"Some of us actually respected the UK even more for telling Brussels to piss off."

That's not what happened. UK said "I'll leave now, without a fight. Tail between my legs."

At least Switzerland just ignored the EU rules and did what they felt they had to do. That's a "piss off".

5. fishbone

Stupid doesn't have a shelf life, Brexit will be remembered long after a poor leadership decision. A presidential term is four years, brexit will be generational in length before the mistake will be recognized, longer to amend and repair...and by the way this whole article remains as speculation until inauguration

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They used the same strategy - it is the Peron playbook (which in turn is an improved "democratic" version of Mussolini/HItler's playbook).

Prior to this USA election only 22% of the white, high school or less demographic voted at all. This election data is not out, but an early estimate was that 90%+ of it will vote. For Trump. This is Peron's playbook as summarized in Evita: "We may lose the big Apple, but we 'll win the country". That happened at BreExit (similar demographics), that happened in USA.

What is really scary is what happens next as well as the long term economic fallout (just look up how many times Argentina defaulted in the 20th century).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Prior to this USA election only 22% of the white, high school or less demographic voted at all. This election data is not out, but an early estimate was that 90%+ of it will vote

So, you're saying that the election actually encouraged democratic participation, and that's a bad thing??

I know, it's a bummer when democracy doesn't give you the result you wanted.

1. Jemma Silver badge

@ AC wrong democratic result: Saying it with Sir Terry...

Vimes had once discussed the Ephebian idea of ‘democracy’ with Carrot, and had been rather interested in the idea that everyone had a vote until he found out that while he, Vimes, would have a vote, there was no way in the rules that anyone could prevent Nobby Nobbs from having one as well. Vimes could see the flaw there straight away.

Nobby Nobbs for president! Couldn't be worse than what we have now..

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: @ AC wrong democratic result: Saying it with Sir Terry...

Look like they needed a Vetinary

1. small and stupid

Ah, Lord Vetinari. The superheroically-competent, machiavellian-but-good, absolute dictator.

The most fantastic invention in the Pratchettverse.

An order of magnitude less plausible than wizards, dragons, etc....

2. Teiwaz Silver badge

Vimes also recognised that while Nobby had a criminal mind he did not have a criminal soul...

Definitely a lot less worse, with Nobby, it would just mean a number of items would go missing from the Whitehouse, including a lot of it's spoons.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"So, you're saying that the election actually encouraged democratic participation, and that's a bad thing??"

...its a bad thing when the voters buy into lies and fantasy and vote on that basis.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Trollface

"its a bad thing when the voters buy into lies and fantasy and vote on that basis."

yes. I'm SO glad that "Her Royal Heinous" Mrs. Clinton, Mother of Lies and Empress of Discord, was NOT elected. Her lies about what she planned on doing were both BLATANT and insidious.

Oh, wait... were you talking about Trump? Heh, the only lies on HIS side were what the MEDIA was saying about him.

1. Kiwi
              WTF?

Oh, wait... were you talking about Trump? Heh, the only lies on HIS side were what the MEDIA was saying about him.

You mean when they were reporting, verbatim, what he said?

Thank God that chump will be assassinated or imprisoned soon. Maybe his own kids will do the world a favour and kill him.

3. Mike Moyle Silver badge

"I know, it's a bummer when democracy doesn't give you the result you wanted."

Actually, DEMOCRACY (according to the counting at this time) apparently would have given us Hillary.

In the U.S., we don't actually vote directly for president; we vote to tell the members of the Electoral College (essentially, our sitting Congress-critters) who to vote for. The argument for this set-up was that, while Representatives are elected proportionately to the population of each state, every state gets exactly two Senators. Since there were/are, more "rural" states than "urban" ones, this was intended to keep less-populous, mostly-rural states from being overpowered by more-populous, highly-urban states. Essentially, one could argue that the makeup of the Senate was DESIGNED to impede unfettered democracy!

What this means in practice is that a candidate can WIN the popular vote by winning the urban states and a few of the rural ones and still lose the Electoral votes because there are a LOT more rural states than urban ones. (And most states are "winner take all" states, meaning that no matter how slim the margin of victory is, the candidate takes all of the Electoral votes.)

And herein ends your American Civics lesson for today.

There'll be a short quiz next period.

1. A. A. McAdams

"A Republic, madam, If you can keep it". B.Franklin

4. Al Black

The will of the people

It shows the quality of the American Left that the democrat party is now rioting in the streets of Democrat cities to protest the democratic election of President Trump. In the process they are blocking roads and bridges inconveniencing other commuters most of whom voted for Hillary. The Clinton campaign ran a dirty personal vilification campaign against trump branding him racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, Islamophobic and xenophobic: they have brainwashed their zombie supporters and sent them into the street to rage against the will of the people. Democrats against Democracy! I wish these leftie losers could see themselves for the tossers they are, then get over themselves.

Re: The will of the people

"The Clinton campaign ran a dirty personal vilification campaign against trump branding him racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, Islamophobic and xenophobic"

Are you sure he is not most, if not all, of the above? He certainly has done a lot to confirm that he is most of the above.

Perhaps those demonstrating (rioting?) are worried about KKK endorsing Trump?

2. Kiwi
            FAIL

Re: The will of the people

The Clinton campaign ran a dirty personal vilification campaign against trump branding him racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, Islamophobic and xenophobic:

Oh? Then who was the actor who spent a few days/week getting coated in orange paint so they could look like the CMIC (child-molestor in chief) to say all those things you claim were faked?

Because our media over here played someone who looked and sounded exactly like CMIC, saying how he hated various groups, would bar them from entry to the US based on religion/beliefs, wanted various people/groups in prison, talking about how bad many women were and how he could get away with sexually assaulting them, how he wanted to screw his own daughter (and probably has - he did say that they have "sex" in common!) etc etc. And there's things like having black/"African American" supporters of his ejected rallies and so on...

So I'd love to know who the actor was who played chump.

Dems didn't need to fake anything. CMIC did enough himself. What the dems needed was a better candidate. Especially at what could well turn out to be the last ever true US election. Diplomatic Republic of North America.. At least it kinda rhymes with Diplomatic Republic of North Korea..

Oh, and as to dirty politics.. See all the lies the refud's produced re Shillary's emails and so on, the whole "Crooked Hillary" stuff and so on. All of which we know to be untrue. All the "I'd [tamper with judicial processes and] lock her up" - or was that an actor pretending to be chump?

5. Glenturret Single Malt

@Anonymous Coward

After reading your rather odd comment, I have had another look through the article and could not find any statement or implication by the author that he wanted Clinton to win. What I found was a pretty straight, factual account of the run up to the election and an interesting additional piece of information about one particular group of voters who may have had some significant effect on the outcome of the election. If you read it the way you express in your comment, it seems to me to say more about your attitude than that of the author of the article.

2. James 51 Silver badge

US debt is going to explode. Will be interesting to see if the Republican house and senate vote to expand it.

1. Denarius Silver badge
          Meh

James ol' son, how would anyone notice the change? Economic plughole has been gurgling for years

2. 2StrokeRider

Um....U.S. debt exploded under Obama, roughly double the debt from when he took office. You think Trump will do worse than Obama, who increased the debt more than every other President before him combined???

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019