back to article HPE and SimpliVity may be at church door

Meg Whitman’s big storage play could soon be realised with sources claiming Hewlett Packard Enterprise is to bid between $3.8bn to $3.9bn for Simplivity. SimpliVity is the number two startup in the hyper-converged infrastructure appliance (HCIA) market which, in turn, is the strongest growth market in storage. Dell-EMC is the …

1. Nate Amsden

nutanix needs

Dell OEM deal to fight off... Dell... hmmm

2. sa3295015

WOW, just WOW

This could be HP's worst acquisition ever... especially at $3-4B. Why would you pay a 30x to 40x multiple on a struggling unprofitable company that did $95 million in bookings??? No way they should pay more than $1B, and they should be able to pick them up for way less than that. Now HP's underlying store virtual product is showing it's age and a bit of a force for HCI, so i guess they need to do something to remain relevant, but Simplivity isn't the answer.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Happy Marriage

It would make a lot of sense for both parties. Simplivity has solid technology but losing ground to VX:Rail and Nutanix whilst HPE has the largest x86 installed base and their own efforts on hyper converged have been too little too late. HPE integrated both LeftHand and 3PAR into their core business successfully, no reason for Simplivity not to become a roaring success as well.

1. sa3295015

Re: Happy Marriage

Yes but lefthand was a good deal at only $360M, for a company with 11,000 nodes installed at the time. Plus they haven't really put much effort into the core product, not counting the continuous re-packaging exercises. I'm sure they have made many multipliers on that investment over the last 8 years. How long before they even get their initial investment back on ~$4B for simplivity??

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4 billion for simplivity that hasn't broken HPE is nuts.

5. jeernand23

shocking

this would be a huge mistake

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP is known for high value aquisitions..

... I mean Autonomy... What a deal that was! Only a 100 year ROI.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not Nimble?

What I dont understand is why has nobody made an offer for Nimble. Cool tech, great support and at the moment very good value. Left hand is pants and should be replaced now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why not Nimble?

Because external storage arrays like Nimble are not where the market is going, whereas HCI (which is solely server based) is

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whilst the market for external arrays is most certainly changing, its demise is hardly likely to happen in my lifetime in the same way that tapes haven't disappeared. Nimble, and some others, are comfortably taking business from the likes of HPE, NetApp, EMC et al, so wouldnt you want something which is growing in a stagnant pond or keep holding onto the decaying lily pad which is about to become next year's compost.

Are you saying that all vendors should ignore this $20b+ market because something else shiny has emerged which has turned analysts heads? Its a bit like saying that BMW should stop developing its highly successful diesel and petrol vehicles because some people are buying electric? No, they continue to develop and enhance their existing range (and acquiring where a gap exists - Mini) whilst developing in areas for the future, which may or may not be electric or hydrogen fuel cells. The analogy is even more pertinent when you consider that electric is not ready for everyone yet due to charge inconvenience, cost of acquisition and range issues. HCI has similar drawbacks as it is costly at scale, has intrinsic complexities which are undisclosed during the sales cycles such a scalability, os/firmware updates and has inconsistent performance during node/s outages.

When electric power vehicles become mature and the above issues are removed then they are truly an evolution for so many reasons. HCI on the other hand, whilst currently relevant to a small subset of workloads or customers who like new things, is not a leap forward and the only perceived advantages such as linear scale and simplicity are not benefits the customers actually sees and are certainly not a sensible trade-off for the disadvantages (see NetApp cDOT as a case study of a company forcing customers down a route it feels is needed and not what the customer asked for). Both of these 'advantages' are available in modern, well designed systems already.

Anyway, isnt HCI just the polished turd son of DAS? Emperors new clothes, anyone?

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"HCI is just the polished turd son of DAS" - you're a genius! ROFL

8. sfcfsbcn

Extremely stupid, and extremely possible...

HPE has just sold the whole Software business that produced over $800M of PROFITS per year for $8B. Now they want to buy an unprofitable hardware company for $4B. How dead are they.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Extremely stupid, and extremely possible...

sfcfsbcn

They're alive and kicking. Destroying shareholder value at every opportunity. God gave HPE the anti-Midas touch ...... Let's face it, name an acquisition that HP (or HP Inc) hasn't overpaid for and trashed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Extremely stupid, and extremely possible...

Well I can start With 3PAR. I can continue with Lefthand ( Storevirtual) , if you want more ex. please let me know...

9. luis river

the purchase not make sense

The research arm HP labs it can emule everything tech include SimpliVity, I think HPE is working in this Tech long time ago and it is in last stage of developing that product, the purchase not make sense

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

who sent this message out in the world?

This is what we should ask ourselves first.. is HPE really talking to them or is this (again) wishfull thinking of a company on the verge of going down the proverbial drain?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a competitor to both HP and Simplivity, I just pray this deal is real and goes forward!

Simplivity with an installed base on Dell and Cisco and struggling to survive would piss off all their (tiny) installed base and HP who is struggling to survive for long time paying almost 4B for this!

Is like adding one more nail in each of their coffins!

Oh Please make it happen!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>There has to be a possibility that Lenovo will now look for a closer relationship with an HCIA software >vendor

Lenovo has a close partnership with Nutanix already and sells the Nutanix software as part of the Lenovo HX solutions, as well as having a meet-in-the-channel relationship with SimpliVity.

13. Boyan_StorPool

With Nutanix currently at $3.87 B and being the market leader, Simplivity looks too expensive at these ranges.

Boyan @ storpool.com

14. iamdude

Great timing or...

What a convenient time for them. NTNX first quarter results after a huge ipo are this month and now hoe is trying to buy them for $4 billion. They must be so happy to have that as they seek an additional funding round after paying off employees.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like