back to article Amazon's very own Linux now available for download

Amazon Web Services is letting customers download its own artisanal Linux. The company has loosed its Linux Container Image to assist those planning a move into its cloud can test their software and workloads on-premises. Previously the image was only accessible on-cloud, for customers running virtual machine instances on AWS …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointless G.fast. Real Fibre optic is 'courageous' Ofcom/BT, not G.fast.

Develop AWS Biz Apps?

BT keep coming back saying copper carcass based G.fast will do the job up until 2030 at least.

What do you need faster broadband for? Isn't it fast enough? BT offer an USO of 'upto' 10Mbps, be done with you - plebs.

In this future World, 'courageous' Multinational goals are now defined by removing a head phone jack.

In the real world, good luck to working/developing with AWS (in any commercial sense), uploading to Cloud / downloading patches/ISOs, from anywhere other than select locations in the UK.

G.fast is an Pointless Cul-de-sac technology for select 'cherry picked' locations. It's not an inclusive one for the UK as a whole.

Of course, BT don't want small biz/ground-up companies to get us out this Brexit mess, they want Multinationals developing for Multinationals, with Multinationals swallowing vast amounts of taxpayers money in the process.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pointless G.fast. Real Fibre optic is 'courageous' Ofcom/BT, not G.fast.

"Develop AWS Biz Apps?"

wft has that got to do specifically with BT?! And no, we already moved everything that was on AWS to Azure.

"In the real world, good luck to working/developing with AWS (in any commercial sense), uploading to Cloud / downloading patches/ISOs, from anywhere other than select locations in the UK."

Then get a 1gbit internet feed from someone else. Or move to Azure and Express Route if the internet isn't good enough for you...

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

"Or move to Azure and Express Route"

It's called Cloud Interconnect in Google land or Direct Connect in AWS, no need to move to Azure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure what point your rant/post was trying to convey, but...

I'm with BT and have *way* faster broadband than 'upto ' 10 Mbps (last time I measured it was 85 Mbps downlink, 27 Mbps uplink)

And that's over a pice of copper wire running into my house

And I'm not in a 'select cherry-picked' location...I'm in the sticks...around 10 miles from what would be considered a town, and 35 miles from anything that could be considered a major conurbation.

2. Ru'
    Pint

Wow, BT upset you today? (icon, as you probably need one...)

3. Ukandrewtaylor

Not quite...

The article is a bit misleading as It's not the AMI that's available, it's a docker base container. Useful for testing Amazon binary versions if you have docker infrastructure but I think I'd rather have my production docker workloads based on something designed for the job such as Alpine. Less is more in docker land.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like