back to article SpaceX to explosion conspiracy theorists: There's no grassy knoll at Cape Canaveral

Conspiracy theorists can stop looking for a grassy knoll near SpaceX's Cape Canaveral launch complex: the company reckons it's close to explaining why its September launch failed so spectacularly. The explosion destroyed a Falcon 9 rocket, roughly US$200 million of Facebook satellite payload, and extensively damaged the launch …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

From the grassy knoll to the gassy ball.

The most interesting part is whether this kind of catastrophic material failure can actually be fixed within a given envelope to money, time and cascading design changes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: From the grassy knoll to the gassy ball.

The most interesting part is whether this kind of catastrophic material failure can actually be fixed within a given envelope to money, time and cascading design changes.

Oh yes, easy. Don't launch AI-capable Facebook satellites. As long as you avoid suicidal payloads with pain in diodes along their left side all ought to be well.

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You had me at "don't launch Facebook satellites"..

2. Nik 2

As I read it, the report implies that it is only necessary to change the loading conditions of the helium. No design change necessary, although one might be forthcoming anyway.

That's an awful lot of money going up in smoke for the wrong loading conditions.

2. Ole Juul

charred knoll

I suspect that anything on that knoll is long gone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: charred knoll

Cooked rabbit, anyone? Slight rocket fuel aftertaste..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully a SpaceX rocket never crashes into a truck...

...due to being unable to distinguish truck from sky.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hopefully a SpaceX rocket never crashes into a truck...

A SpaceX rocket is a truck.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I like trucking

1. You aint sin me, roit

Space trucking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOrpFeXUao

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: grassy knoll

Look, everbody knows that Kennedy shot himself in order to prevent a time paradoxon. Now, pass the poppadoms please.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

No he never, its was Jackie who shot him for the insurance money on his life

I heard it was just Oswald.

Or maybe Lyndon B. Johnson.

Or the mafia. Could be. There was even a deathbed confession of a sicilian hitman.

Or Smoking Man.

Though I will still go for just Oswald.

Generally all the conspiracy theories make up as if JFK was about to perform the second coming of the Christ. Was he ever. More like Obama the Mad Bomber but with a more active shlong.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Generally all the conspiracy theories make up as if JFK was about to perform the second coming of the Christ."

He was so hated by so many people that assassination was a worry. A great deal of the military had a great deal of contempt for him - they thought he should have received a court martial rather than a medal for WWII "exploit", and they could never forgive his betrayal of the Cubans at the Bay Of Pigs.

As for myself, his greatest sin was that he had a brother named Edward with none of Jack or Bobbies virtues and all of the family defects, plus one of his own: cowardice.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely all the resonable conspiracy theorists will accept this as true and not go on their own tangent for years.

6. Stevie

Bah!

They burst the tank by inflating it too hard?

Seems a bit ... pedestrian, dunnit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

A blow job. Positively Clintonian.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like