back to article Avira debuts freebie VPN

Avira began bundling VPN technology with the latest edition of its security scanner suite. Avira's Free Security Suite (FSS), released on Tuesday, combines free antivirus (with protection against ransomware) with Phantom VPN, System Speedup, and Browser Safety technologies. Consumer VPN technology normally comes with a paid …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Avast or AVG doesn't usually even come close to Avira in virus detection tests. Avira competes with Kaspersky and Bitdefender(who don't have a free version like Avira).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's free from a corporation, then you are the product. Expect customised ad flinging.

3. osamamohiuddin13

New to VPN

Since they are launching it for the very first time, it might not accurate to the need of the common user.

The problem of a common user is not only getting access to the locked-region but getting secured as well. For this reason, I've been using Express VPN for security issues. I bought it after reading the detailed review from VPNgrades

Do give it a try, it'll be worth your time.

4. osamamohiuddin13

I'll recommend you to use ExpressVPN for your use as it offers you the access to the least populated servers.

I purchased Express VPN after reading the detailed review at VPNGrades.com do give it a try, it'll be worth your time!

5. Gandalf87

Yeah, i read that news a few days ago dude. but I'm not sure. Opera marketed theirs as a vpn but there are arguments it may not be so. i hope it's not like proxy where you do get a new ip but the connection isn't 256 bit encrypted like other vpns like ivacy, express and nord etc.

6. josephholsten

If you're just wanting to protect yourself from wifi vulnerabilities like KRACK, this is probably fine.

But if you are subscribing to avoid snooping from corporate or government actors, you should be skeptical of any VPN with bandwidth limits. Limiting bandwidth can only happen by logging your usage, which can later be subpoenaed. It's hard to prove that a particular VPN provider doesn't log, but some have been subpoenaed for logs and shown that no useful data about users were recorded. A search for "vpn subpoena response" will show some of the companies who have had their logging policy tested in court.

Disclaimer: I work for Private Internet Access. I strongly encourage you not to take my word for anything you can't verify yourself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon