back to article AI lawyer: I know how you ruled next summer

Artificial Intelligence can predict the outcomes of European Court of Human Rights trials to a high accuracy, according to research published today. The use of AI has is slowly seeping into many industries including the legal sector. AI can trawl through vast amounts of information at a faster rate than humans without slowing …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

"We don't see AI replacing judges or lawyers"

Yeah, just in case someone rich, important or famous does something stupid and wouldn't be able to get away with it anymore...

1. Known Hero
      Paris Hilton

Re: "We don't see AI replacing judges or lawyers"

why the troll face ?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Can it please be used as a first step

in all those class action lawsuits in the USA?

No? Oh wait, it would put hundred of thousands of shyster lawyers out of a job.

I don't see this going very far. My guess is that in the US, laws will be passed making this illegal. After all, aren't most politicians (Trump excluded) Lawyers? Letting their bretherin lose their jobs would not go down well with the level of contributions to their re-election campaigns and to hell with its accuracy.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Can it please be used as a first step

Letting their bretherin lose their jobs would not go down well with the level of contributions to their re-election campaigns and to hell with its accuracy.

Well, that depends on whether you can attribute any empathy to Politicians for any creatures further down the food chain. If it looks like it may save money and make them look efficient... There's always another herd of CEOs ready to off a generous financial nipple....

Erm, my metaphors got a little jumbled there....mondays...

3. frank ly

Gamified

From an article about this in www.independent.co.uk:

"The developers were able to use information like that to find that the court’s decisions relied largely on the kind of language used, as well as what topics were mentioned in the court texts."

This would enable prosecution and defence teams to run 'what if?' simulations of their tactics against possible enemy tactics and counter responses.

4. nuked

Perhaps run it on all of the Apple vs. $WORLD patent suits and see how accurately it would have predicted the inevitable outcomes...

5. Spudley

So they're predictable to an 80% accuracy? This surely puts to bed El Reg's favourite theory that ECHR rulings are a random lottery?

6. AMBxx Silver badge
    Boffin

80%

I don't have the stats, but what proportion of the cases are found in favour of the defendent? If it's 80% or 20% or thereabouts, this AI isn't achieving anything.

Bit like weather forecasting in the desert - it's the day it's different that's important.

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Holmes

Re: 80%

How long will it take to increase the accuracy to 99.999 %?

1. HamsterNet

Re: 80%

Probably already is and the 20% are all miscarriages of justice.

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

AI?

Spoon-fed idiot savant at best.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like