back to article ExoMars update: Schiaparelli probe's parachute malfunctioned

The status of the Schiaparelli probe remains uncertain, leaving scientists at the European Space Agency baffled after the lander’s signal cut out unexpectedly. At a press conference this morning, ESA’s Director General, Johann-Dietrich Wörner, said the agency has not explicitly ruled the landing process as a fail, and is in …

I'll post before the detractors

Even getting there is an amazing achievement, so I hope the coulda/shoulda/woulda naysayers out there really have a good look at what was achieved compared to what was not achieved. There is nothing here on earth that is comparable to a mission to mars - no not even a mission to the ocean depths as there will be a cable to pull you back up.

Getting to mars is a success, not landing is a disappointment.

Time for getting boots on there

Can we throw the Exo Mars money into a pot to get a human there please? 1 hr EVA with a geological hammer and hand auger would probably tell us more about Mars' geological past than we've learnt to date!

Bronze badge

they should have tested it first

"should have tested"

This *was* the test for the actual payload (rover) in 2020 under the correct conditions. Pretty tough to simulate the journey with nasty conditions plus the atmospheric conditions during the descent, right? I am sure they tested the rocket engines on Earth, and the computer systems as well.

It is disappointing, but hey, it made it there - and the Schiaparelli impactor was i) budged on last minute and ii) really just a test platform. It would have given interesting data on martian storms, though!

Bronze badge

Re: "should have tested"

they could have shot it off the bottom of a plane, using some gas, like an ejector seat, 1 fail in a 100 and its time to redesign

Re: "should have tested"

>they could have shot it off the bottom of a plane, using some gas, like an ejector seat, 1 fail in a 100 and its time to redesign<

Firstly, I think they'd be very happy with a success rate much, much lower than 99%...

Secondly, testing in Earth atmosphere at any speed, especially after not enduring the months of travel in vacuum, is hardly a comparable test.

Coat

I hear Jeff Wayne is working on an ew album

♫ ♬ The chances of anything getting to Mars are a million to one, it seems ♪ ♬

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017