back to article Personal info on more than 58 million people spills onto the web from data slurp biz

A US-based data aggregator that trades people's personal information with the automotive industry and real estate companies has seemingly spilled the private information of more than 58 million people online. A large MongoDB file – which belongs to Modern Business Solutions and containing tens of millions of records – was …

1. The_Idiot

And...

... the consequences to MBS will be?

As in, like, _real_ consequences? And I'm not asking if MBS will actually _suffer_ any real, genuinely significant consequences. Just whether there are any.

Er - hello?

Riiiiiight.

But is it possible there might be negative consequences for/ visited upon the _subjects_ ('owners' seems a somewhat meaningless word, given the context) of the data? The real people the data identifies, classifies or provides information on? And I'm not asking if it's going to happen - just if it's possible.

Now - what are the odds that the answers to both the preceding questions are the same?

No. I didn't think so.

Sigh...

2. alain williams Silver badge

Hoping that the fuss will die down ...

and that people will forget. A completely irresponsible way to behave.

3. Scott Broukell
    Meh

Wow!

I've not heard of this kind of thing happening before, is this a new thing! On the other hand I feel quite sure that it won't be long before those at the top put at stop to it ever happening again!

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

The database with those default settings?

These should be called MongoDrops

5. BobChip
    Unhappy

Trust?

AND we are still expected to trust the slurpers? Microsoft? Google? Linked in? Facebook etc.? We will continue to get all the confident assurances of course. Safe as houses - just like the banks....

Me? I'm working hard to be invisible and untrackable. That's where I aim to be. Hoping El Reg is properly secure though ...

6. Captain Badmouth
    Paris Hilton

Do we know

exactly how secure the likes of Microshit etc. actually are?

How do we know that the people who can't get 2 sucessive updates to work correctly haven't already been pwned?

Answers on a postcard please in plaintext.

Paris : Years ago we might have seen her on a postcard- in a Sunday market in Paris, France, perhaps.

7. Crazy Operations Guy

Sanitize your queries and limit response size

Any Web Developer who doesn't implement sanitation on queries or DB Admins that don't limit size of responses should be fired. Out of a cannon. Into the Sun.

At the very least, they should be using Stored Procedures. These technologies and settings have been in Database servers for over a decade now, why aren't people using them?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally, I'd like to see these irresponsible scumbags dragged into the street and shot in the throat. Not kidding. I'm totally sick of this bullshit. And for it to happen on a DB that was there for bullshit reasons to begin with, that really pisses me off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like