back to article FYI: Amazon's corner stores scan your plates

Amazon is reportedly looking to launch a series of small convenience stores that will offer onsite pickups of merchandise ordered online, and will scan the license plates of approaching drivers. A report from The Wall Street Journal cites sources familiar in claiming that the online retail giant is not only planning to expand …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not really a big issue

Try this

https://www.searchquarry.com/vehicle_records/license-plate-number-records-lookup.phtml?trackstat=lplate

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Not really a big issue

"Please be aware that the information obtained using SearchQuarry.com searches may not always be accurate and up to date as we do not create, verify, or guarantee the accuracy or the amount of information provided through our service. Data availability is largely dependent on various public sources from which the information is aggregated. SearchQuarry.com is not a consumer reporting agency as defined by Fair Credit Reporting Act and should not be used to determine an individual’s eligibility for personal credit or employment, or to assess risk associated with any business transactions such as tenant screening. By using the services offered through this website you agree to comply with all of the conditions set forth in our terms and privacy disclosure. The information obtained from our searches is not to be used for any unlawful purposes such as stalking or harassing others, or investigating public officials or celebrities. Violators may be subject to civil and criminal litigation and penalties. All searches are subject to our terms and applicable laws. SafeCart is the retailer of products on this site.

Oh well, that's okay then - no-one is allowed to misuse it.

Rrriight...

2. wayne 8

Re: Not really a big issue

That's creepy.

2. Kaltern

Maybe... maybe we should just all give up and let them get on with it. Between Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Google, Microsoft and Apple, every iota of every human's lives is already stored on a HDD platter in a server room, and it's too late to do anything about it.

Apparently.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not all of those buy/sell your life

in order to get more Ad hits.

I'll leave it to you to work out who does and does not do this.

I now actively avoid Google and Microsoft.

It does not matter because 'The Man' has at least one backup copy of your whole life.

Oh, and forget the HDD platter man, it is all up there in the Clouds like the Birds.

Jeez that was some good shit I had last night.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not all of those buy/sell your life

Google are better than most. Their privacy policy is very clear what they use, how they use it. Microsoft, Apple,Facebook are far worse. The Facebook account I deleted 5 years ago still knows about relationships to people I may know. Clearly they never deleted that stuff....

3. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

Not competative anymore

In my State, Amazon now collects sales tax. Which means they are no longer price competative most of the time. Which has meant that I buy very little from them these days.

I can't imagine that a brick& mortar store will get my business.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Not competative anymore

They're still competitive for me because they ACTUALLY HAVE STOCK.

My Best Buy has not had the items I wanted in 14 of the last 16 visits. I only go because it's next door to the Staples that has what I want about half the time.

And I'm talking pretty generic stuff like "a wired mouse" or "a wired network card" or "a non-WD hard drive" or "a mid-range nvidia card"

4. frank ly

So, ....

.... you go to the Amazon pickup store, you sign for collection of an item and then get upset because Amazon know that your car was there at a particular time on a particular day?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: So, ....

Amazon will know what make/model you drive so will be able to generate endless,

"We thought you might like to drive this super expensive car instead of your rustbucket..." ads.

or

"Now is the time to trade in that heap of yours before it falls apart. May we suggest these alternatives?"

or

"We see that you have not paid off your car loan yet. We can offer great deals on re-financing..."

Google won't be far behind with their AI.

1. strum

They're more likely to try to sell you a car, just like the one you've already got.

2. Adam 1

"Others who purchased a Volkswagen also purchased 'new gear box for ...."

5. Jonski
    Flame

Unimpressed

Can anyone else see a hundred things wrong with this? You'll need to actually drive past the shop, or park outside, and you can't use Uber, you can't walk, cycle, bus, tram, ferry, get a mate to drop you off, or use your personal jetpack to take "advantage" of picking up your parcel a dubious 30 seconds earlier than you otherwise might. In the meantime data is getting collected on the other ten thousand people passing the shop daily who have no business with Amazon. Why not just set up a Stingray cellular site and sniff the mac of the customer's phone FFS? Y'know, while we're overextending and slurping unnecessary data and all that.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Figures.

7. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Devil

Sounds like Collect+ at petrol stations in the UK

Amazon already operates drop-off/pick-up service at petrol stations in the UK which all have ANPR. They have not gone as far as integrating the ANPR to the Collect+ system though.

8. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

Fred & Cyril , you were reading the future...

Time to read 'the Space Merchants' again to see where we are up to...

9. Zaxxon

No Plate, no Problem

Another reason not to run a front license plate. Sure the plate records are public, but no reason for them to know when I'm coming and going and what kind of car I'm driving, etc. Its just intrusive and creepy.

1. Lord M4x

Re: No Plate, no Problem

"Look out, it's behind you..."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like