back to article Good God, we've found a Google thing we like – the Pixel iPhone killer

Google is taking on the iPhone. At an event this morning in San Francisco, the web advertising giant took a huge leap into hardware with a range of new products aimed at taking on, and beating, the most popular consumer products on the market. Top of the list: the Google Pixel phone, which is aimed squarely at the iPhone. …

Trollface

That's really nice. How many weeks before Google discontinue support though?

Silver badge
Devil

For the phones

So far they have been relatively good on this front.

Relatively means - old phones and tablets can be bricked by specific up/down-grades (f.e. there are 3 bootloader updates for my 2012 Nexus 7 which brick it). There is no guarantee that the phone will remain usable after an update (just ask all the people who have rolled back Android 5 to 4 on the older Nexus 7s). It will however continue to be updated for a long time.

Not as good of a record as Apple (credit were credit is due - I am not a fan, but their support record for older hardware is quite good). It is however, the best record in the industry. Sony or Samsung - you get a couple of updates and that is it. Any of the tier 2 manufacturers - you might as well forget it.

This is however, Google's "flagship", there, you will get support and updates, it will not just abandon it because the marketing fallout will be immense. If you are with any other product, especially an acquired one - you are really alone with the wolves.

Anonymous Coward

How long until Google decides ...

..."unlimited cloud storage for free" will not be unlimited or free?

Also, when considering "the top 10 reasons why people stick with {Apple,Android}" did they consider that users may have paid apps that they do not want to buy again?

I'd be more tempted to switch platforms if I got 20% of the price of the new hardware in credits to buy apps I've already purchased in the old platform.

Re: How long until Google decides ...

I've been trying to explain this to the world for ages. I cannot even consider the prospect of buying all my apps again, even if I was tempted by a Windows Phone. Also, all my movies and music...

Gimp

... so if you buy all your music from Apple, you cant port it to an android phone?

That sucks, really, really badly. You have been made Apple's gimp.

Silver badge
Gimp

@Tom 64

Not sure if you were serious, or not; but if you were:-

iTunes =>Purchased =>Select All Tracks => Copy All; New Folder => Paste All.

Big Brother

..."unlimited cloud storage for free" will not be unlimited or free?

Of course it is free, paid for by the NSA...

jzl

Buy one from me for 30% more than list price and I'll give you 20% back to spend in the app store.

Money is fungible. Does it matter if they give you credits or if you pay for apps yourself? No such thing as a free lunch.

jzl

Tempted by this (or its successor in a few years), now that Apple have started removing headphone jacks.

Windows Phone is a non-starter. My bank doesn't provide an app for it. My heating system doesn't have an app for it. My car doesn't have an app for it.

As things stand the OP won't even enter the restaurant.

Facepalm

VR out of the box - something Apple will start innovating now

Once the Cupertino photocopiers have started up.

And the best judges you can buy in Texas for those retrospective comedy patents.

Silver badge
Stop

> ... so if you buy all your music from Apple, you cant port it to an android phone?

Of course you can. I do (regularly). I use a Mac, started off with an iPhone 4, migrated over to Android and still sync my music and photos between the Mac and my most recent Android (soon to be a OnePlus 3 - I currently have a Oneplus One).

Silver badge
Unhappy

My phone has no interest in apps, or other stuff; it makes calls so why would everyone have to care about car apps, bank apps, and for that matter the heating needs no apps, just fingers. Interestingly so do phones, unless they have good voice control as the my present one does via its Blue-tooth headphone. The front door uses weird metal things, called keys, (yes plural). So no risk of my home having insecure hardware to be used for remote DDoS, turning the heating up to full blast or down to arctic levels, etc.

I would still like to find a use for a phone of this type as obtaining good batteries for my old one is becoming very hard.

However, the price is something of a huge turn off.

Silver badge

"Windows Phone is a non-starter. My bank doesn't provide an app for it. My heating system doesn't have an app for it. My car doesn't have an app for it."

Put like that it starts to sound attractive: a phone that's a phone.

Black Helicopters

Of course it is free, paid for by the NSA US taxpayers...

FTFY...

Silver badge
Happy

Oh dear, android + bank + car + heating - not looking good for your wealth, safety or comfort this winter.

Buying...apps.

Buying...apps...?

Anonymous Coward

WEW LAD

Silver badge

'Buying...apps.

Buying...apps...?'

Of course Apple users buy apps. They need to show they can.

Google simply need to promote it as feature not a bug even if it goes against their corporate DNA.

Silver badge

Don't know about movies, but apple don't from music any more.

I know this because I don't have an iPhone but I have an iTunes account because some times they are better priced/have things that others don't.

No problem dropping them on my android marshmallow phone.

I believe they can also be uploaded to Google drive to stream and save space on the device, but I don't do that because I live up north and 4g is shite.

Re: For the phones

Samsung - you get a couple of updates and that is it.

My S5 is 2.5 years old and two models behind the curve but I got a software update last week. I've got no idea what was updated but they have at least remembered I still exist.

Anonymous Coward

I agree. Why piss about hacking a smart lock when you can just throw a brick through a window?

All these modern hipster burglars make me cringe with their fancy bijou crowbars and single gear getaway bikes.

Bricks may be bourgeois but they get the job done.

Also my music is cross platform. I just whistle and hum.

Silver badge
Coat

Read it and weep

Apple marketing veeps.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Read it and grin madly

Apple patent lawyers.

Silver badge
Coat

Imitation is the quickest route to a lawsuit, says salivating lawyer from Cupertino

They can just say they were inspired by Braun designs of the 1950's, just like everyfuckingthing that Jony Ive has "designed".

Silver badge
Meh

> They can just say they were inspired by Braun designs of the 1950's

1. Sorry to bring you this, but our imagination always takes inspiration from something, whatever you do.

2. This is closer to the fruit of Ive's imagination, though, much closer, actually, than to Braun's design (better known as "Ulm school of design" style, I think) I did not look closely, but the thing looks like an iphone.

Here, they have ripped off Apple's design more than ever and I know this is not a popular opinion on here. Sadly, when you rip off a design, you feed the lawyers ... don't do that, please!

Could we have a "Don't feed the lawyers" icon, please ...

Anonymous Coward

No because the lawers would take them to count

Silver badge

And the accountants would take them to court.

It's a flat rectangle with round corners, a screen and exactly 3 holes on the front cover.

Seriously the thing lawyers should be fighting is that it could ever be called a design.

Re: Read it and weep

I weep that anyone would call anything a "iPhone killer". It's lost its status of being an "iPhone killer" when it's called an "iPhone killer".

Damn iPhone killers. Waving to try and get me to cross the road. No thanks.

It's entirely possible that Google are simply paying Apple for a licence to use the patents. Not in Google's nature, I know, but the design does look too close for even them to try it on.

Paris Hilton

That's weird, duuuuude!

> the Pixel cases that Google displayed on the wall of one of the booths all had a round hole in the back. Why?

Why indeed? And why does the position of the hole match the position of the fingerprint reader?

For me, the hardware is secondary to Google's baked-in software and so a more sensible question would be - why did nobody think to ask how long Google will provide software updates for the device?

My thoughts exactly!

Isn't he confusing the obligatory fingerprint sensor hole to what would need to be a second hole, way further down the back to reveal the logo?

Still, there's only so much you can observe in 5 minutes which, frankly, is a pathetic amount of time given to journos.

Silver badge

Re: My thoughts exactly!

Still, there's only so much you can observe in 5 minutes which, frankly, is a pathetic amount of time given to journos.

Given that Google know how many people will attend, know how many phones they are providing, can do simple maths, it is clear that they INTENDED that journos would only get five minutes each to maul the device.

Presumably there's something in the package that they don't want to be reported before the handful of captive bloggers and tame reviewers have been able to offer gushing reviews to the world. My complete guess is that the "something" that might be discovered in more than a few minutes is to do with privacy, either in the licence agreement or device settings.

Yep - this is the phone to convert iOS users

My issue is that it's " the phone to convert iOS users" and not really the phone their existing market actually wanted.

And their conversion strategy was to make something that looks the same but is "slightly better" in every way.

Bluntly I can't see anybody switching to Android solely on the basis of a slightly better camera, battery, VR experience, voice activated assistant and all the rest. It might be better, but you need to offer more to get people to switch their existing OS.

As an existing Android user, I just feel "nice specs", but most of the features are software, which will be shortly available on equivalent phones costing half the price.

In summary I have no issue with the continuation of the 'Pixel' range representing high-end google stuff - what I resent is the killing of the Nexus brand.

Silver badge

Re: Yep - this is the phone to convert iOS users

"And their conversion strategy was to make something that looks the same but is "slightly better" in every way."

Not just looks the same, but is priced the same. Matched to the dollar for the 128GB variants (in Oz anyway).

Anonymous Coward

Bluntly I can't see anybody switching to Android solely on the basis of a slightly better camera, battery, VR experience, voice activated assistant and all the rest. It might be better, but you need to offer more to get people to switch their existing OS.

.. like not spying on users, and making them agree to let you keep that data into perpetuity (you may want to actually read the conditions for a change). Not going to happen, not just because I value the privacy of my family but also I actually have a professional duty to protect my clients.

"Matched to the dollar"

Which makes it more expensive, imho, given that you're still throwing all your personal / private data at the chocolate factory.

Talked to an iphone user and their first response at the price was, "why would anyone pay that much for an andriod phone?"

That's what they have to overcome, don't think the specs have much to do with it.

Silver badge
Happy

An iPhone look alike? Quite possible - I thing that the quality and usability of the Google phones have been going downhill for several years now. OK, so the Nexus line is a bit old now but they still feel like good phones. These new ones look like iPhones - why would I want one of those?

I'm sticking with my Nexus 6 with wireless charging and Project Fi.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

. like not spying on users, and making them agree to let you keep that data into perpetuity (you may want to actually read the conditions for a change). Not going to happen, not just because I value the privacy of my family but also I actually have a professional duty to protect my clients.

Like having a UI that isn't basically unchanged since the iPod Touch?

Like not being the "must have" for wannabe Beautiful People and the terminally uninformed?

Like being a smartphone rather than a fashion accessory?

vbvbv

Well you can piss right off - I know the start of a Vogon poem when I see one.

Silver badge
Alien

"Well you can piss right off - I know the start of a Vogon poem when I see one."

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,

Thy micturations are to me,

As plurdled gabbleblotchits,

On a lurgid bee,

That mordiously hath blurted out,

Its earted jurtles,

Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer.

Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles,

Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,

And living glupules frart and slipulate,

Like jowling meated liverslime,

Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turling dromes,

And hooptiously drangle me,

With crinkly bindlewurdles,

Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,

See if I don't!

Anonymous Coward

Well you can piss right off - I know the start of a Vogon poem when I see one.

QOTW :)

Silver badge

Start of a Vogon poem?

I was going to upvote but current upvotes=42, how could I ruin that?

Anonymous Coward

Fanboy alert

Google have copied shortcuts to settings from Apple?

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: Fanboy alert

Indeed, this whole thing reads like a Google we hater.

"and, according to Brian Rakowski, VP of product management, it has "the best smartphone camera anyone has ever made."

Nope, DXO scientifically measured it and came to that conclusion.

Re: Fanboy alert

And swipe notifications, don't forget them

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018