back to article Oracle confirms Java EE 8 is delayed for 'major enhancements'

Java Enterprise Edition 8 is delayed yet again, Oracle has conceded. The next enterprise Java will ship at the end of 2017 – moving back at least six months from Oracle’s last rescheduled date that it named in June, of “first half” of next year. Anil Gaur, Oracle’s vice president for Java EE and application server development …

1. asdf

my 2 cents

>Community sources told us the feeling was Oracle has re-allocated its staff to building out the company’s cloud, instead.

SUN and Oracle stupidly missed out when the mobile ship sailed so it makes sense they see less of a revenue stream going forward from Java now. Making a small fortune by spending a large fortune on software/hardware development without a plan was much more SUN's style than Oracle's.

2. Morrie Wyatt
    Trollface

Fair enough.

After all, it must take quite a bit of time for Oracle to code all of the bugs in.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whaaaat?

"Work on Java EE 9 is starting “right away,” Gaur said, rather than waiting for completion of Java EE 8."

Apparently 8 is so underwhelming that 9 has to happen "right away". Which means I couldn't feel safe with 9, so I'll have to wait for 10... which will apparently spawn 11. So, can't wait for that Java EE 11 !!

BTW, I have really been missing the boat on Java anything, but I thought the Fibonacci versioning scheme was in effect? Shouldn't this be EE 13, 21 or even 34 by now?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please just let JAVA die....

I'm so sick of having to download and install multiple different flavors of legacy code to run all of the apps no one every updated past java 6 and 7. I just need a version of Java that understands... yes the code in the app is old... there is nothing I can do about it... no, I don't want to update now or block it.. just FREAKING RUN IT.

I'm sure people have apps out there that are critical, but still stuck on even older code.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Please just let JAVA die....

I'm not sure you understand the process.

Java 8 wil run almost anything written for earlier versions. The differences (which we look for in minute detail to ensure compatibility for our products) are minimal and usually relate to security issues, which - in practice - means applets or JavaScript.

If you're running an applet you are basically out of luck. The technology is already dead after being starved of love by Sun/Oracle over the last 5 years.

For anything else (like Java EE that this article is about) Java is healthy and useful. And backwards compatibility is excellent compared to every other language I have ever worked in. There are methods deprecated in the late 90's that still work in Java 9.

5. Kubla Cant

Lambda?

To help simplify coding, Java SE 8’s Lambda is coming to Java EE 9.

What does this mean? Lambda expressions are a syntactical feature of the Java SE 8 language (and lots of other languages, of course). Java EE is a set of standards, frameworks and libraries, but the language used to create JEE applications is... Java. So lambda expressions are available regardless of the JEE version, as long as you're compiling your application code with Java 8.

Have I missed something?

6. You aint sin me, roit

"Features that don’t make the cut for Java EE 8 will roll over into Java EE 9."

I know a train company that works like that. Once the 8.15 is 30 minutes late it magically becomes the on-time 8.45.

7. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Hmm..

> asking community members to say what features they’d like to see in Java EE 9.

It being open-sourced and passed over to a company with a clue?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like