back to article Australia boards the slow boat to Brexit

Australia reckons it can be the first to secure a free trade deal with what's left of the UK post-Brexit, with the two countries to create a trade working group next year. The process is certain to be comically slow: as readers of The Register has already reported, merely negotiating Brexit is going to be a long, slow process …

1. frank ly

Free Trade

Does this mean that Australians will be able to buy high-tech electronics goods at UK prices (plus shipping costs)?

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Free Trade

Shouldn't there have been a Joke Alert or GetMeCoat icon?

2. TeacherMARK

"...with what's left of the UK post-Brexit..."

Stick to the tech stuff and avoid politics, Reg, eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>Stick to the tech stuff and avoid politics, Reg, eh?

Brexit directly (adversely) effects my tech business. I want detailed scrutiny over this fiasco so we can call our politicians to account when they a) screw it up b) adjust the markets/laws to suit their own desires.

Thanks for doing this Reg.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheers!

The 568.26 mls are on me

4. Ian.
    Facepalm

Post-brexit UK trade deals with individual EU member states

That is not how the EU works.

Individual states can't do their own deals, the EU does one for them, which they all have to sign-off on.

1. davenewman

Re: Post-brexit UK trade deals with individual EU member states

A single market means there cannot be different trade deals in different countries. It is one large area with the same import tariffs and the same regulatory standards.

2. David Beck

Given that no EU country can make a trade deal, this would suggest the author of the article is clueless.

Given that no El Reg editor noticed this suggests that ...

Try to stick to what you pretend to know about.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

Individual states can't do their own deals, the EU does one for them, which they all have to sign-off on.

And as the UK is and will remain a member of the EU until it completes the Brexit process, it is bound to the terms of its EU membership and hence is unable to start trade negotiations, even with the EU until has left the EU potentially in 2019... Hence why, in the short term, there is only Remain (ie. forget about invoking Article 50) or 'hard' Brexit (ie. invoke Article 50 and hope it won't hurt too much).

Currently, there has been a small amount of discussion about 'grandfather' rights associated with the UK being a signatory to some treaties. But I suspect it hasn't been particularly rigorously researched and hence it is probably best to assume the worst, namely we will leave the EU and trade subject to WTO rules, until such time as the UK can gain membership of a new trading block and benefit from it's agreements.

5. DocJames

Just to remind the Little Englanders*...

You're behind Indonesia in the queue for trade deals. With Australia!

Presumably Brexit needs to wait for the NZ negotiators to arrive. That's going to be a fun deal - 2 teams of Kiwis working out a deal between the UK and NZ.

* yes yes I know that most people who voted out are not insane xenophobes, but some of the leaders of the out campaign were.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just to remind the Little Englanders*...

Are Australia not able to multitask?

Couldn't possibly have two or more sets of negotiations at the same time right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like