back to article Lawyers! win! millions! in! bonkers! Yahoo! email! snooping! case!

A bunch of lawyers have persuaded Yahoo! to keep scanning e-mails for advertising and pay their fees. The class-action case was launched in 2013, and finally got the formal green-light to go ahead last year. The Purple Palace wanted to scan e-mails passing through its systems, so as to deliver targeted advertising to those …

1. Andrew Jones 2

"Now, in a mystifying settlement, lawyers for the plaintiffs have taken a payout; agreed that none of the plaintiffs get anything;" but then later "Cody Baker, Brian Pincus, Halima Nobles, and Rebecca Abrams – the named plaintiffs in the class action – get $5,000 each."

So... do they are don't they?

1. David 132 Silver badge

When the lawyers are getting $4million, a mere $5000 each for the plaintiffs pretty much is "nothing" - at least, for sufficiently large values of "nothing".

2. imanidiot Silver badge

THe NAMED plaintiffs get a payout, but since this was a class action suit there is a large class of unnamed plaintiffs (ie all the other users)

2. Phil Kingston

What a waste.

All that time studying law that they could have put to good use doing, y'know, lawyer shit.

Instead, they've achieved nowt meaningful other than a payout for themselves.

Conscience? What conscience?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lawyers just look after themselves

As Greville Janner might confirm if it were not for the fact he is dead.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Lawyers just look after themselves

A lot of Politicians are lawyers who make laws that benefit other lawyers who become politicians who make laws that benefit .....

And so the cycle goes on.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Lawyers just look after themselves

Fun fact: two thirds of the "Founding Fathers" were lawyers, judges or had equivalent legal training.

2. Mark 85

They did put all that studying to good use... who got the money and got diddly squat?

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Seems like Erin Brockovitch inspired a few careers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is the payout per hour? That would be a more interesting measure. And yes, the legal system in the US is weird.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Nobody in California is going to get fined for scanning data to target advertising

Silly Valley would implode otherwise.

1. VinceH

Re: Nobody in California is going to get fined for scanning data to target advertising

Silly Con Valley, Shirley?

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Ransom?

I assume that Yahoo! will be paying them in Bitcoin, the normal payment method for ransomware.

6. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

If I knew anyone who actually used Yahoo...

... maybe I would have a talk to the EU Privacy Commission about this.

But then again, the only time I get Emails from Yahoo addresses is when I'm receiving spam, so they get ignored anyway.

Yahoo reading spammers Emails so they can deliver targeted spam to the spammers...

7. Stevie

Bah!

Eh?

8. georgej

I should start by declaring that I am a lawyer.

The bad press lawyers get obviously irritates me because all the people who complain about lawyers are the ones instructing us and hoping to get a big payout. So, clean up your own act first and don't hide behind the lawyers.

Yes, I hate ambulance chasers because they give me and my profession a bad name but it is Joe Public who ultimately instructs those lawyers.

Getting to the real point of my reply, I think most of you don't appreciate how the US system works. In the EU we are accustomed to a heavily regulated environment where state organisations undertake the bulk of the enforcement. That is of course very dependent on those organisations performing their functions rapidly and efficiency. Sadly that is not often the case. Our own ICO in the UK is a toothless organisation that places the interests of big business ahead of civil liberties and individual rights, for example. Self-regulation by industry? Nope, rarely works.

In the US the legal profession acts as the enforcement agency. Yes, there are regulators in the US but the primary level of enforcement is undertaken by lawyers. That is how their system has evolved.

So, in this case the class action has resulted in a success in so far as forcing Yahoo to comply with the law. The system has worked as designed and, yes, the lawyers have been paid handsomely. That's what happens when you leave enforcement to businesses who want to make a return on their "investment". Whether or not $4m is justified I can't say, but you can't knock the lawye if that is what the system is.

Ultimately if the US doesn't want lawyer-led enforcement then it needs to spend billions on putting together a range of regulators and enabling laws. The billions figure I have plucked out of the air and I of course don't know what it would cost, but it would have to be of that order.

Absolutely, hammer lawyers who deliver bad services or who over charge for work done; but please also take some collective personal responsibility for your enabling participation in the process (a general comment because I'm sure nobody who reads The Register has ever responded to a 'have you been recently injured' call but strangely some must have because they still keep calling!).

1. edge_e
      Facepalm

Re:So, in this case the class action has resulted in a success

Whilst I'll admit I'm not that familiar with US law, it seems to me that the complaint was that Yahoo were scanning email contents without permission and the result is that yahoo paid a bunch of lawyers and are continuing to scan email content without permission.

Could you explain how this is a success?

9. Jake Maverick

if we had 'rule of law' all those involved would be in jail

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Is there going to be another class action to stop them scanning data at rest?

I have to admire the comment that it's so complicated not scanning messages that having put a mechanism in place to not scan them it would be too complicated to start scanning again. Nice one.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bad precedent

Not sure if they have precedent in US law, but anyway...

This is a another case of simplifying technical concepts into non-technical terms that are not relevant.

Data in transit or at rest is a term you can apply to a paper letter, but digital data can really be in transit AND at rest at the same time. Which is it is still irrelevant to whether or not someone is scanning my emails... they are or they are not.

UK: Internet Connection Records - still no clear definition for how a 60s telephony concept can be crowbar'd into modern digital networking theory.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like