back to article Angler's obituary: Super exploit kit was the work of Russia's Lurk group

Ruslan Stoyanov was right: what could be history's most advanced financially-driven malware was the progeny of some 50 jailed hackers known as the Lurk group. It is a finding that solves the mysterious demise of the world's most capable exploit kit and one of the biggest threats to end users on the internet. Kaspersky's head …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russia is not parading because they will be useful...

.... probably they were so confident about their protection that they went a little too far (maybe upsetting someone with enough power in Russia), and/or someone decided it was time to shutdown their "public" operations, before they could be identified and maybe jailed if traveling abroad.

But if they are so skilled, I guess they will be turned to covert operations, willingly or unwillingly.

1. HmmmYes

Re: Russia is not parading because they will be useful...

They would have had a had choice: Russian jail or work for us.

2. HmmmYes

Lurk or Smirch?

3. Florida1920
    Childcatcher

AI

Groups like Lurk are what worry me about AI. In all discussions of AI, the assumption is always that it will be implemented and controlled by White Hats. Whatever form AI takes in the future it surely will be an asset to the Black Hats. Security is the business to be in going forward, IMO. And FFS, don't click on that link in the email from your "bank"! You may launch SKYNET.

1. channel extended

Re: AI

Too late, done did. Strangely it keeps asking me if I want to play a game. :o)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like