back to article IBM is now selling Spectrum Virtualize free from hardware

We heard IBM might be supplying a software-only storage product and it turned out to be true: Spectrum Virtualize can now be bought without hardware. Spectrum Virtualize is the renamed SAN Volume Controller (SVC) and virtualises IBM and third-party arrays, into single storage resources. It is bundled with the Storwize Vnnnn …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a virtual Spectrum from IBM looks like...

Speccy

2. returnofthemus

Yep, it's been on the cards for a while!

Along with Spectrum Accelerate, another spanner in works for hyped-up converged

1. returnofthemus

Re: Yep, it's been on the cards for a while!

Before someone reminds me, it's not 'NEW' it's just rebranding of the the old SVC software that they've had running on an appliance since the dawn of time, then moved to Storwize akin to abacus, then moved to FlashSystem akin to tabulating machine, now available as software only like COBOL program.

I only drool over shiny new tech, that do the blinky blinky thing, IBM old dinosaur, with no new blinky blinkly, I want blinky, I only do blinky, feed me blinky, blinky only please!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warm it up, serve it again!

About all IBM is good at these days is rebranding the old stuff that works that was written by the people they laid off so they could afford to by back some shares.

4. GrumpyOF

If I remember correctly SVC started life as a rebranded FalconStor back in the early 200X years. They did some re-writing then bought Storwize and added that software to SVC, along with compression that came from somewhere else. Then they bought Texas to do the flash. Lot of IBM originality in Spectrum Virtualize!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You remember incorrectly, SVC came out of IBM research.

IBM then bought Storwize and used it's name for the Storwize platforms, and added their compression software into the SVC software (now named Spectrum Virtualize). Very confusingly the first Storwize products only used the name and compression came later.

Texas Memory Systems "do the flash" on a FlashSystem 900 and the flash enclosures in a Storwize V9000, Spectrum Virtualize runs in the control enclosures on a V9000.

So with the exception of compression, it's mainly IBM original software in Spectrum Virtualize. Some features such as EasyTier were developed for other IBM products (typically the DS8K range first it seems) and then added to Spectrum Virtualize, so weren't created specifically for Spectrum Virtualize, but were still developed by IBM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like