back to article WD: Resistance is not futile

WD, with its acquired SanDisk operation, is squaring up to Intel and Micron’s XPoint with ReRAM - Resistive RAM technology. Back in October last year, the then independent SanDisk joined forces with HPE to fight XPoint. The two signed an agreement to develop Storage-Class Memory (SCM*), a non-volatile storage medium with DRAM- …

Silver badge

Promises

I am bit fedup with empty promises about flash killer products.

They promise a lot, and all fail to appear as products..

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Promises

That's because the High Council of the Illuminati (or maybe the lizard people?) decided to drip-feed revolutionary new stuff to the hoi polloi. "Your generation already got cell phones and the Internet - bugger off, no more new tech for you! You all kick the bucket first, _then_ we can talk about batteries, storage and jetpacks!"

Silver badge

Forget the jetpacks and flying cars. The big problem with them is simply sheer physics. It actually takes quite a bit of energy to get a body as big as our off the ground and KEEP it up there. That's why you don't see birds as big as ours nor with bones as massive.

Silver badge

I remember Bubble memory in the 1970s.

They did actually make real products, but it quickly was surpassed by Flash. It was always too expensive. Certainly clever.

I've wondered if using new materials it would ever come back?

Silver badge

"They did actually make real products, but it quickly was surpassed by Flash. It was always too expensive. Certainly clever."

No, I think Bubble memory faded before flash took off. What killed it was that it was both too expensive and too finicky, both in manufacture and in end use, and it ultimately lost to both spinning rust and falling DRAM prices. It had to be literally warmed up to work (thus it made Konami's "Morning Music" famous because it was played during the Bubble System's warmup phase), and it functioned like a strict queue, so you had to dequeue the contents to read it and then remember to requeue it to keep the contents intact.

As for a potential comeback, research "racetrack memory," a related tech.

WTF?

"the technology is not that close to productisation."

So it's basically vapourware, just like those batteries in a lab that re-charge in 30 seconds or whatever. Wake me up when they're shipping a product.

I agree that without firm dates, all we have here is tactical vaporware - maybe meant to soak up some PR oxygen from the competition.

Dear El Reg: a bit more hard-nosed next time, please??

Otherwise you're just acting as PR conduits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018