back to article ISPs face piracy sue-balls

Following a US court's decision to make ISP Cox Cable liable for customer piracy, copyright enforcement collector Rightscorp says it hopes to use the case to extract further funds from service providers. "Although Rightscorp was not a party in this case, we are delighted with the outcome. The Federal District Court declared …

1. William 3 Bronze badge

Then the US government.

Is responsible for drivebys on public highways.

Same logic, right?

1. Mark 85
      Mushroom

Re: Then the US government.

The very same logic... twisted and idiotic.

Icon: Reserved for trolling lawyers.

2. Alister

Re: Then the US government.

More to the point, manufacturers of blank CD / DVDs had better watch out, and maybe manufacturers of USB sticks, as well.

I would have said manufacturers of blank audio and video cassettes but I'm not sure anybody knows what they are, anymore :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

And by that same logic...

The entire gun industry is responsible for every shooting that ever occurred right ?

1. kain preacher

Re: And by that same logic...

They are trying that logic right now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Federal court delighted..

Wait till somebody commits piracy over their network lol

I don't know about the US of A but over here in England I've managed to download torrents and visit many naughty video sharing sites over WiFi services provided by the local council.

4. Joe Drunk

Relax kids

Nothing has changed. ISPs are still provided safe harbor by the DMCA providing they comply with takedown requests/notifications within 24 hours. COX ignored these. Megauploads ignored these. KA Torrents ignored these...See the pattern?

My ISP responds promptly to DMCA requests as I leared the first and last time I used torrents. I received an email warning. The warning stated that the second offense would lead to suspension of my internet. The suspension would be lifted upon my watching an educational video on the evils of sharing pirated material. I think the third would lead to an extended suspension, I forget the length because it was years ago and I haven't used torrents since and subsequently received no further warnings.

This is how ISPs avoid multi-million dollar judgements and injunctions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Relax kids

KA Torrents ignored these

KA complied with them, not ignored them.

1. Charles 9

If KA was complying, why were they raided and taken down?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because it's not about complying with DMCA regulations.

When corrupt officials can be influenced to take action against business competitors, those competitors seem to fall foul of whatever "laws and regulations" those corrupt officials are able to wield.

Not saying that KA wasn't waving a huge red flag at an obviously unhappy bull. They definitely were.

But they were also complying with DMCA regulations too.

1. Charles 9

But we're talking servers placed in non-American countries. Doesn't the word "sovereignty" tend to get in the way here?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

When corrupt US officials start recognising - and respecting - the borders of other countries, please let us all know.

But, don't hold your breath in the meantime.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I got a VPN and received no further warnings.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ISP worker here...

We receive letters all the time from people demanding that we suspend the network access of the offender.

We politely ignore these letters.

The offenders range from small mom & pa shop, to multi million companies.

1. kain preacher

Re: ISP worker here...

I believe Comcast s doing the same thing.

6. imanidiot Silver badge

better put all postal workers in jail then

Because the US mail system is then responsible for the shipping and handling of everything from bomb threats to drugs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon