back to article iOS update kills jailbreak

Apple has issued iOS 9.3.4, an update for iThings it says kills off a bug that allows any application to potentially "execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges.” The update also addresses a “memory corruption issue” and fixes it with “improved memory handling.” Nasty stuff. But also stuff on which the Pangu jailbreak …

I guess jailbreak users may be even more peeved....or not..

CVE-2016-4654: Team Pangu

Silver badge

Well, it isn't clear whether Team Pangu actually notified Apple of the issue themselves or Apple just gave them credit for finding it. Apple opens a CVE for pretty much every security issue they fix, even bugs they find internally (which few others bother doing) so the existence of a CVE crediting Team Pangu doesn't mean they were the ones who filed it.

Some people think Apple should provide a "supported" way to jailbreak to stop this, but it is a good way for them to learn about security holes - especially those big enough that even $200K wouldn't be enough to get them to tell Apple first.

Mushroom

I tend to agree. I would expect that, as Jailbreak has been a thorn in Apple's side, they just wanted to give a bit of payback to Team Pangu by crediting them with the snitch/dobbing in....if only to give Team Pangu a PR & comms nightmare to keep them occupied for a few weeks or so.

Isn't this SOP?

Apple makes a habit of breaking Jailbreaks, and has since the iPod Touch was new.

Silver badge

Re: Isn't this SOP?

I agree, I don't think it is news other than how quickly they're managing to turn around the fixes these days.

Anonymous Coward

"Jailbreak has been a thorn in Apple's side"

It doesn't seem to be impacting their sales / profits to date...

I wouldn't dream of buying an iDevice that couldn't be jailbroken - so if anything it increases sales.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017