back to article GNU Guix emits next beta

The GNU Guix project, which last December was adopted by the Free Software Foundation for fundraising support, has a new beta release. Version 0.11.0 of the package manager and its associated systems distribution (GuixSD) comes with USB installation images for installation from source or from binaries. The project highlights …

Silver badge

It's remarkably unclear what this is, why this is, and what it's for.

GuixSD is a linux distro, and Guix is its package manager? But the package manager has fuzzy knobs on it?

And it's a package manager with garbage collection? Eh?

Doesn't seem to be

Doesn't seem to be a linux distro as it looks like it uses the Hurd kernel. (see screenshot on their main page)

The intro bit of the docs seems to answer -> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Introduction.html#Introduction

Guix is a package manager, partly inspired by Nix.

It can be run on any linux distribution and apparently doesn't interfere with the underlying packages, like Nix does/ did.

It is also possible to run a "Guix distribution" of the GNU operating system. This would be the GNU userland tools, like in linuxes, and instead use the Hurd kernel. All with Guix as the package manager.

Silver badge

GNU reinventing the wheel? Debian had this package thing licked almost a couple of decades ago and last I heard they even have a GNU Hurd version as well.

ConfusixSD

David Dawson beat me.

I agree with previous commenters. That link in the "news Byte" would have been useful too.

This post has been deleted by its author

Redo ConfusixSD

According to the following doc, GuixSD uses "linux-libre" kernels: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/GNU-Distribution.html#GNU-Distribution

I didn't know Nix or its merits. From what I read, Guix main points is that it can build packages from source for several non-root users simultaneously: Gentoo + chroots?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Redo ConfusixSD

And, the package manager allows you to install software as an unprivileged users, I assume into your home folder. Now, this is really great!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018