back to article Nigerian cops cuff cybercrime suspect, reveal you don't need 419 to make $60m

Police in Nigeria have arrested the suspected mastermind of a web of cybercrime scams thought to have cost victims worldwide more than $60m. The 40-year-old Nigerian national, known so far only as "Mike", was arrested in a joint operation by INTERPOL and the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crime Commission. The main two types …

Silver badge

Both are currently on bail?

For people who scammed millions, which I assume haven't been recovered?

Silver badge

Re: Both are currently on bail?

I suspect that the arrestees may have somewhat fewer millions left.

Silver badge
Facepalm

So, "fewer" doesn't mean they still won't run.

Silver badge

'Fewer' means that they traded some for the chance to run. And that they'll have company on the flight to Rio.

Silver badge

It is not bail, it is the "freedom to operate fee" which he forgot to pay.

Dear Mr Policeman

My name is Mike Mboango, a rich CEO who has been falsely imprisoned for charges which are against me untrue.

My bank accounts have been frozen and denied to me, and I need monies to bribe the guards to secure my innocents.

If you could find it in your heart to foward me $5000 to make the demanded payments for release, I will compensate you tenfold when I aquited of false crimes.

Sincerely

Mike.

Silver badge

Re: Dear Mr Policeman

It wouldn't be the cops, those boys probably have their cut already. See 'el Chapo' for an example.

Silver badge

That letter is obviously fake - it is not written in capital letters and is correctly spelled.

Silver badge
Meh

That letter is obviously fake - it is not written in capital letters and is correctly spelled.

AND it doesn't contain the word "modalities".

Silver badge

mark

"conned a particularly unfortunate mark into handing over $15.4m."

Maybe words other than unfortunate spring to mind

Anonymous Coward

Official Correspondence...

Dear Mike,

It has come to my notice that a man of your status and stature is expected to pay not less than $2 million in bribes per year, and yet our records show conclusively that your payments have fallen below $5,000 per month for several consecutive months.

Unless you correct this unfortunate situation with immediate effect, I shall be forced to contact my colleagues in our Enforcement Branch.

Yours faithfully

(signed)

Alhaji Muhammed A. Dicko

Chief Collections Officer

Federal Ministry of Corruption

Abuja

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018