back to article Cortana expelled from Windows 10's new school editions

Microsoft has announced two new cuts of Windows 10, for schools. “Windows 10 Pro Education” and “Windows 10 Education” have been “designed for the unique needs of K-12 institutions.” That means Microsoft's voice assistant, Cortana, has been expelled. Kids will therefore be spared the brave new world of context-aware search and …

Page:

1. Rich 11

O Brave new world

That has such managed services in't.

1. dajames

Re: O Brave new world

That has such managed services in't.

Not Tempest-proof, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: O Brave new world

Just change the default typeface to Caliban.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

What about the rest of the telemetry?

If there's none because think of the children, this should be the version of Windows that MS sell to everybody.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: What about the rest of the telemetry?

Hell, if they remove the telemetry too they'd be making into an "operating system", instead of a data collection tool. Wouldn't that be a novelty!!!

If they did that I'd be queuing up to get hold of the academic version. I think we all would be.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Education version and the Enterprise one are the only two that can disable almost all telemetry. "Casually", the only two an average "consumer" user can't buy.

3. lpcollier

Yes! My first thought was, how do I get hold of this? Can I register as an educational institution?

1. Gis Bun

Errr. Take courses at a college or university [and verify if a student, you met the requirements].

1. Martin Maloney
          Unhappy

"Errr. Take courses at a college or university [and verify if a student, you met the requirements]."

Perhaps you missed these lines:

“Windows 10 Pro Education” and “Windows 10 Education” have been “designed for the unique needs of K-12 institutions.”

“ … to all K-12 customers as it provides the most complete and secure edition for education environments.”

4. Gis Bun

If you know how to do some research then you know how to fix this.

[And unsure about education versions but telemetry is disable [most if not all] from the Enterprise edition.]

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Why would you want to subject children to the horror that is MS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because "discounts".

Everybody loves discounts!

1. Hans 1
        Happy

>Because "discounts".

>Everybody loves discounts!

Exactly, so much better than "free".

2. Phil Kingston

Because the alternative would be a *shudder* Apple device.

3. Gis Bun

Pay very little or nothing for Office for Windows or Mac?

1. Richard Plinston

> Office for Windows or Mac

Using Windows and Office for education is like teaching 'ordering at Macdonalds' in a cooking class.

Give them RaspberryPis.

4. Bronek Kozicki

Cortana disabled, Windows store disabled - perfect. That's Windows 10 version for me!

1. toughluck

Right up until you need an application from the store and you can't add it, so you have to go through the hassle of downloading, installing and maintaining it, and then find out that it can't work without the store and the developer will not bother with a non-store version since it's not designed for enterprise/education use and they don't want to violate that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Right up until you need an application from the store and you can't add it ...

... and the sum total of applications from the MS store I want or need is:

(drum roll)

none whatsoever

Of course, it is already possible to excise all this rubbish, including the store itself - but it is nice of Microsoft to finally acknowledge that windows store is a gimmick, and is not needed to either do your work or learn something new.

1. joed

Re: Right up until you need an application from the store and you can't add it ...

Not as easy as it seems. Getting rid of annoying icons is just the 1st step. Out of sight is not out of mind and W10 is truly a privacy minefield. I'd done my job by servicing the install.wim image, using settings app, group policy, task scheduler, firewall, powers shell scripts (floating over the web), hosts file (of dubious results), router rules (moving target and home boxes are not really meant for heavy filtering), registry and then I realized that something was still not right. There are some funky restricted firewall rules available only via registry - if someone can enlighten why MS has been cramming more and more into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\RestrictedServices\Configurable\System (really pain to manage outside of usual GUI, exporting to .reg file helps;). Also, with proliferation of "crApps" (tm) importing firewall rules is no longer trivial (with unique SIDs one is better of with dumping registry keys as exported rules are - in usual MS fashion - a binary mess).

Also, what is that binary key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\{7746D80F-97E0-4E26-9543-26B41FC22F79} that MS does not like the user to access (it can be with extra hassle;)?

2. ShaolinTurbo

Has that ever happened, ever? No to me, I dont use a single store app, let alone NEED to use one.

1. Bronek Kozicki

There are things I like to have "just in case", e.g.a set of sharp kitchen knives or assorted but modern cables and computer parts, but access to Windows store is not one of them.

2. James O'Shea

"

Has that ever happened, ever? No to me, I dont use a single store app, let alone NEED to use one."

You can't get the major reasons to have Windows, Solitaire, Freecell, and Minesweep, with Win 10 unless you get them from the MS Store. Yes, MS really is that evil. The horror. The horror.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Right up until you need an application from the store and you can't add it ... and the developer will not bother with a non-store version

Every developer shall have the right to not sell his wares to me!

4. Planty Bronze badge
        FAIL

Here in the real workd, nobody uses the windows store, the real world uses Win32 applications.

5. Ian Ringrose

Application from the store can still be installed.....

I think you will find that using Active Directory “store” applications can still be installed for defined groups of users or machines. It is just someone sitting at the machine can’t install a store application.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

K12?

Sorry, K-12 education? Is that like K9, but for kids?

Personally I would not want Microsoft anywhere near the educational system again. I saw what they did in the UK: cheap prices to lure them in (despite us predicting what would happen they all went for it like teenagers hoping to score a cheap fix) and lo, as soon as everyone was committed the prices went up. Bill Gates even got knighted for that scam (well, the ruse was that he gave some of the loot back to one place so he could have his name on a building, but we all knew where the money was taken from).

I especially don't want Microsoft near the educational system because some idiots have decided that teaching "IT skills" means telling kids how to use Microsoft applications instead of the principles underneath them, like spreadsheets in general and the use of styles in word processors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: K12?

"as soon as everyone was committed the prices went up"

Probably explains why when my older son (now 20) was at secondary school everything was based around Microsoft apps while when my younger son went 4 years later they'd dropped all that .... and mvoed evrything to Google Docs.

1. Mage Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: K12? Google Docs

Frying pan to Fire.

They should be using Linux and Libre Office. Certainly Linux Mint + Mate + Wine + Redmond Theme is maybe a little poorer than XP, still, but it's MILES better than Vista, Win8 or Win10 for Education.

Then there would also be more money to spend on teaching. Maybe 20 years ago there was some argument to have Apple or MS rather than Linux/UNIX for Education, not now. Google, MS, Apple and Amazon are trojan horses in Education.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They should be using Linux and Libre Office. Certainly Linux Mint + Mate + Wine + Redmond Theme is maybe a little poorer than XP, still, but it's MILES better than Vista, Win8 or Win10 for Education.

Hah! Who do you think is responsible for setting those standards? Just before one T Blair came to power, the UK embarked on a project to establish open standards throughout the whole government. The moment T Blair walked in, Gates & friends were invited to take over by means of a mass infestation of consulting, and the first thing they did was scrap the idea of open standards that would promote interoperability, it all had to become Microsoft, and that included education. They're *still* busy undoing the damage, but there are unfortunately few people left who have both the required oversight and power to do this fast. Get a techie and they'll drown in the politics, get politicians and they'll get played in weeks through their lack of knowledge (not all of them are self interested idiots, but they too don't quite know who to trust).

1. TheVogon

"first thing they did was scrap the idea of open standards that would promote interoperability, it all had to become Microsoft"

Microsoft software already supported most of the open standards that were proposed! And it worked.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Microsoft software already supported most of the open standards that were proposed! And it worked.

No it didn't, the Government Gateway being a prime example. By the way, if you want a clear idea of what Microsoft does with an open standard, just check how they butchered Kerberos.

1. Hans 1
                Joke

>just check how they butchered Kerberos.

Come on, do you "really" expect them to know what Kerberos is ? They'll look it up on g00gle and come back claiming it is box office software.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"just check how they butchered Kerberos."

Microsoft Kerberos interoperates just fine with say MIT Kerberos, so perhaps you could elaborate?

2. John Crisp

Is this the winner for both Troll and Joke of the week ?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"They should be using Linux and Libre Office. Certainly Linux Mint + Mate + Wine + Redmond "

You'd think that, and I'd love it to be possible, but the entire ecosystem of educational software is all based around Windows. There may even be schools which are non-MS seats of learning, but at primary school level it's all about the "tool" and the ready made teaching aids and no one wants to spend the time or take on the hassle of making that shit run in Wine.

Most school computers are not used for teaching IT (sorry, ICT) or anything close to "computing". They teach how to use a computer in the same way that kids are taught to read and write. After that, the computer becomes the pens, pencils, exercise books and library.

1. Richard Plinston

> They teach how to use a computer in the same way that kids are taught to read and write. After that, the computer becomes the pens, pencils, exercise books and library.

It is no wonder, then, that they can only scrawl, can't spell, and can't even add up a column of numbers.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Probably explains why when my older son (now 20) was at secondary school everything was based around Microsoft apps while when my younger son went 4 years later they'd dropped all that .... and mvoed evrything to Google Docs.

Yes, we warned them about coaching kids into ignoring privacy as well. Alas, there seems to be something in the academic mind that just wants to believe that companies value education so much they want to forego profit for it. Personally I'd report the school to the ICO if they made my kids establish a Google account and so agree to Google T&Cs without my explicit parental permission - trust me, they would have a major problem on their hands.

3. TheVogon

"when my younger son went 4 years later they'd dropped all that .... and mvoed evrything to Google Docs."

You must have been unlucky with your local school - most still use Office 365 - it's now free for schools / universities. Relatively few businesses use Google Apps, and people want their kids to be learning a version of Office that's actually some use to get a job!

This book exists for good reason: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1535538481

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

most still use Office 365 - it's now free for schools / universities

For the moment. It's not exactly the first time that the educational establishment has been conned into a Microsoft addiction it could not shake when the price went up as predicted by people who have seen it all before. I'm positive history will repeat itself.

2. Gis Bun

Kindergarten to grade 12.

Novell did the same thing with NetWare when it was actually thriving.

So you expect K-12 schools [who probably don't have the money] to use Linux? Look at that miserable failure in Germany with the Windows to Linux partial migration. Not everyone moved to Linux and those who did used one of 5+ version of some unknown Linux distro.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Not everyone moved to Linux and those who did used one of 5+ version of some unknown Linux distro."

And it took over 10 years, has left a high maintenance hybrid environment, and cost tens of millions more than just updating the Microsoft software would have...

6. Jess

I'm torn.

On one hand, removing features with an upgrade is totally out of order.

On the other hand, it sounds great, I want the same to happen to my Win 10 pro

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: I'm torn.

"On one hand, removing features with an upgrade is totally out of order."

Look in it as removing bugs. That sounds thoroughly in order, doesn't it?

1. joed

"Look in it as removing bugs." - what kind of bug have you meant? Tough probably both were applicable in Cortana's context.

2. Martin Maloney
      Unhappy

"I want the same to happen to my Win 10 pro"

You're outta luck. I read just yesterday that the Anniversary Edition will make it impossible to deactivate Cortana.

7. ShaolinTurbo

This is exactly the version I want! Maybe I will sign up to one of those dodgy east London language universities to get it! :D

8. Carl D

Interesting.

Cortana gets removed from school editions.

And now we're finding out Cortana won't be able to be switched off anymore for everyone else when the Anniversary update for Windows 10 is released next week. Well, not easily at least.

www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

Good thing Cortana doesn't - and won't ever - know anything about my Windows 7 (minus all the W10 nag and telemetry crap) /Linux Mint dual boot.

1. ShaolinTurbo

This is the big turn off for me with Win 10. Not just the simple fact of telemetry and privacy but more the fact that every 6 months we will now need to accept a whole new version of Windows and accept whatever changes Microsoft makes. There's no way out, you must take the upgrade. This will happen every 6 months! I cant take that kind of ultimatum on my production machine.

They need to have some kind of LTS option like Linux if they insist on people upgrading. Im staying well away from Win10.

1. David Bond

They do have LTS version of windows 10 : http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/understanding-long-term-servicing-branch-and-current-branch-windows-10

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like