back to article Free Windows 10 upgrade: Time is running out – should you do it?

Microsoft's free Windows 10 upgrade offer runs out this Friday, 29 July 2016, one year after the initial release, and a few days before the Anniversary Update. "This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – …

Page:

1. Joerg

Windows8.2=10 is a fraud and a scam!

Microsoft must be fined $500billion and disappear as it deserves for this mess!

1. darksx

Re: Windows8.2=10 is a fraud and a scam!

Many people are jumping on the free upgrade but they fail to understand one thing. this upgrade is only good for their current system specs. if you decide to later change out your motherboard. That will void your free upgrade on Win 10 at that point you have to either buy a new copy of 10 or go back to Win 7 that you have a license for. I can see where many will end up back reving to Win 7 because most are not going to want to buy a Win 10 licenses.

Me personally, Ill never install 10.

1. Dr Spork
        Pirate

"...once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime* of the device... and then leave you with a device which we've locked by our "Secure [sic] Boot" mechanism to an OS which we'll suddenly start informing you is an absolutely horrendous unmitigated security catastrophe."

*i.e. Until the Microsoft Corporation Inc. (NASDAQ: MSFT) decides at its sole discretion that it's time for you to pay another round of danegeld "essential" (MS taxed) hardware "upgrades." Must keep that old treadmill turning...

The Register was brought to you today by the letters M and $ and the number 10

1. Richard Plinston

> for the supported lifetime* of the device

They have never explained the term "supported lifetime of the device". The device (PC, phone, ...) is supported by the warranty. If you buy a new PC with Windows 10 then the warranty is 12, 24, or 36 months depending on supplier, laws, and/or extended options. After this period, it seems, you will no longer be covered by the 'at no cost' part of the assurance and will be required to go on subscription.

With existing machines that have taken the 'free' upgrade but are out of the OEM's warranty* then perhaps you will be charged starting next month.

* it may be a requirement on the OEM to supply identifying information and warranty expire date to MS, they can then match this with the telemetry data gathered by W10.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

'They have never explained the term "supported lifetime of the device".'

As far as the UK is concerned there seems to be a likely collision with Trading Standards at some point and with the corresponding regulators in other countries with strong customer protection legislation. Maybe not in France if it gets banned completely due to their run-in with CNIL

1. AlbertH

Under UK Consumer Law, no version of Windows has ever been "fit for purpose". This is just one of the ways you can get your money back from the Windoze Tax you're forced to pay if you want a modern machine.

I've just received refunds for 124 copies of Windoze 8 that were pre-installed on to my new office machines. I told HP that I didn't want Windoze, but they insisted that I couldn't have the computers unless I took their pre-loaded crapware. I have a favourable pricing deal with them, and the computer specification was just what we needed (as long as it has our corporate spin on Ubuntu on it), so buying from them was sensible....

We tested two of the batch of machines with the provided OS and software. Both failed in one way or another within the first 20 minutes, so the OS and software was obviously not "fit for purpose". HP didn't quibble - in fact, they agree with us, and refunded us over 40% of the purchase price of the machines on the understanding that we'd delete the contents of the hard drives and not register any of the pre-installed rubbish!

Strangely, HP are beginning to offer Ubuntu pre-installs again......

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

I told HP that I didn't want Windoze, but they insisted that I couldn't have the computers unless I took their pre-loaded crapware.

I take it you didn't say: "Well I'll just have to place my order with Dell then"? It might have saved you a lot of faffing around.

Buying a Dell without Windows

[Aside] As far as crapware goes, I was pleasantly surprised by its absence when I purchased my ASUS Zenbook with Win7. [/Aside]

2. Chairo

They have never explained the term "supported lifetime of the device".

I think it is less nefarious as most here think.

Simple fact is that with Windows10 the updates keep coming. At some point they will need to update the kernel in a way you will need new drivers. Tough luck, if your hardware is not supported any more.

In that sense it might be better to stay on a older windows version, as they will be more stable. It depends on your hardware manufacturer's performance.

1. Mikel

Supported lifetime defined

They will support it until they don't.

2. Teiwaz

"Simple fact is that with Windows10 the updates keep coming. At some point they will need to update the kernel in a way you will need new drivers. Tough luck, if your hardware is not supported any more."

- As Londo Mollari might put it "To you, this is less nefarious?". Above sounds nefarious enough, at any time, without notice (if you are not keeping track of update details, which most users don't) any peripheral can suddenly stop working or your entire computer.

Unlikely, (but maybe), not so much a shot to the foot as to the head. It sounds like updates will be like a game of Russian roulette.

1. Chairo

@Teiwaz,

Pure irony, of course.

In any case - in the past you had similar choices- apply the service pack and risk HW compatibility troubles or live with what you have, including a growing risk and SW incompatibility with newer applications.

Rumour has it, that the "Windows 10 Anniversary Edition", due on August 2nd, has a minimum RAM requirement of 2GB, which will kill off most older netbooks and a lot of the tablets that were dumped in the market recently. Perhaps not a great loss, you might say, but under Windows 7 and 8, these devices might have still soldiered on several years.

I wonder, if Microsoft will provide some solution for these devices. Leave them on current Windows 10 and continue to provide updates? Sounds unlikely. Let's see...

1. Teiwaz

Agreed

"Rumour has it, that the "Windows 10 Anniversary Edition", due on August 2nd, has a minimum RAM requirement of 2GB, which will kill off most older netbooks"

- Obligatory, 'won't kill my netbook off, it's running Ubuntu'. With netbooks, you at least have options, damn all option on the tablets though (and before anybody poo poos unity, I mostly use i3, but there's no i3buntu).

3. Frank N. Stein

What about if you built your own desktop PC. That means I'm the "OEM" and that means I support my own self built computer, for life. How's that for a "warranty"? So that would make my PC supported for life, with Windows 10 updates. :-)

Happy

So that would make my PC supported for life, with Windows 10 updates. :-)

And if you are immortal, that's could be a very long time indeed.

2. Nunyabiznes
              Joke

@ Frank N. Stein (or steen?)

Are you sure you want your computer supported for your life? MS might abruptly pull the plug.

:)

2. ABQ Sun

It's always been that way. Basically, Once Microsoft sees the system has a new MB its most likely a new PC. This is nothing new. I don't feel this is unreasonable.

1. oldcoder

The end result is still theft.

You don't buy new pots and pans just because you replaced the stove...

You don't pay for a new car just because you replaced the engine...

1. smot

> You don't buy new pots and pans just because you replaced the stove...

We had to - our new stove is an induction hob, and most of our old pots and pans were non-magnetic.

Just sayin'

2. Code For Broke

You don't buy new pots and pans just because you replaced the stove...

You don't pay for a new car just because you replaced the engine...

False analogies.

You haven't paid the pots and pans maker to warrant that their wares will both work with your terrifically complicated and rather unique stove, and that the pots and pans maker will provide technical support if they fail to work with said stove.

You don't, in fact, pay for a new computer (car) when you change the motherboard (engine). But you should expect to pay for the creation of the various drivers and other development effort that ensured the same OS will work exactly the same on a totally different piece of hardware. If you replaced your 2014 Ford's engine with a 2016 Ferrari engine, you would pay your mechanic the ensure those different parts contained to work together correctly, no?

If you don't like how MS earns their money, I've heard there might be other options for making your computer go. Apparently you can even help write the programs yourself. For free.

you should expect to pay for the creation of the various drivers and other development effort that ensured the same OS will work exactly the same on a totally different piece of hardware

Surely MS are colluding with hardware makers to force users to purchase new hardware by not providing drivers for existing hardware. Thinking of a friend's vinyl sign-cutter here and the transparency scanner I have that works under XP, but not under Vista or later.

1. TRT Silver badge

I bought a Jamie Oliver stove and pan. And NOW I have to buy his recipe boxes. :(

I bought a Jamie Oliver stove and pan. And NOW I have to buy his recipe boxes. :(

It could be worse. I watched this TV chef once called Nigella Lawson. The recipe she was demonstrating and described as "comfort food" was baked beans on toast. You've got to wonder about people needing a TV chef to teach them how to make baked beans on toast...

1. TRT Silver badge

I once lived with a postdoc physicist who ran fluid dynamic simulations on a Cray and did experiments using the cyclotron under the car park. Every day he had boil in the bag cod and a packet of Smash - I tried to teach him how to make a basic parsley sauce to go with his cod. He loved it, but the cooking of it was simply beyond him - I mean, your white sauce is class 101 of cooking.

2. 9Rune5

"But you should expect to pay for the creation of the various drivers and other development effort that ensured the same OS will work exactly the same on a totally different piece of hardware"

I did pay for that when I bought the hardware in question. Intel wrote the chipset drivers, the motherboard OEM then licensed Intel's drivers and presto... Even older versions of Windows just works.

MS eventually took it upon themselves to distribute the drivers in question (WHQL approved drivers are channeled through Windows Update). Good for them. Doesn't change a thing when it comes to the payment/license model.

Last time I read about MS' license model (back when XP was released I think), the idea was that you could change a number of major hardware components without triggering a re-activation (which had to be done by phone). I expect/hope that is still the case.

FWLIW: I upgraded my 6 year old i7-based rig last week. I was a bit worried, because my Win7 install had never even raised the topic of "Windows 10", so I feared I might not qualify. A few moments later and I was up and running with the latest insider build. No worries. Only annoyed I did not upgrade sooner (I had anticipated a hw-upgrade that I haven't had time to deal with yet).

2. This is my handle
          WTF?

It's been a while but I am positive I've replaced mainboards (and hard-drives and ...) without buying a new Windows license. I mean, why should I? I am running the same O/S. If anything I should get a rebate since the need for more horsepower is typically because of the way Windows slows down after installing any actually software, particularly if the software was not published in Redmond.

3. Frank N. Stein

What about if I upgrade my CPU? Will that cause me to have to buy Windows 10, after having the free upgrade?

4. ben_myers

Re: Windows8.2=10 is a fraud and a scam! (Nothing new, tho)

Beginning with Windows 7, if you changed out a motherboard, the Windows running in the computer is deemed (HORRORS!) counterfeit!! This is not something new with Windows 10.

This really screws over people whose motherboards or laptops fail. So you replace the failed motherboard or laptop with an identical model. Should work perfectly, right? Just like Windows XP. Nope. When you activate Windows, the Microsoft borg ship records not just the make/model of the motherboard, but also the serial number. The only recourse here for those who really know hardware is to change the motherboard serial number to match the old one. There are programs squirreled away in vendor web sites to do this, but it ain't easy.

Re: Windows8.2=10 is a fraud and a scam! (Nothing new, tho)

The only recourse here for those who really know hardware is to change the motherboard serial number to match the old one.

Wrong. You phone MS for a new activation code. I have done this several times when my hardware has changed. MoBo included. Then there's the excellent utility Windows.Loader by DAZ.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Terminator

An endor$ement from dear old El Reg!?.. How could thi$ be? Ha$ the Micro$oft Corporation removed it$ $pyware "telemetry" and forced upgrade$, ju$t in time to entice tho$e la$t few $core percent "holdouts"?????

...or could there be $omething el$se behind thi$ informercial?

2. eJ2095

I wonder

Am i right in thinking if you have a dodgy version of win 7 ultimate this will free upgrade to win 10 pro....

Only wonder as my new lappy has win 10 home and could in theory wipe clean install win 7 ultimate and up to 10 pro??

But as it is microshaft will get shafted some where along the way...

1. xyzw

Re: I wonder

I am not sure what you mean by dodgy version.

I made the move a few weeks ago for a new pc and an old latop.

I simply downloaded win10 iso from MS website and created a bootable usb and in both cases, wiped clean.

On the old laptop, I used an windows 7 home OEM key (not even from this laptop!): it worked like a charm (all drivers ok). Booting speed is faster.

On the new pc (nuc6i7kyk), I used the licence key from my windows 7 ultimate box: it worked (there was no "standard" driver for the network card, I had to install them from a usb after downloading on a different pc!).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ryan.T.Student

I've had reports from reliable sources (ie geeky mates who have tried it) that it works.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have a test machine that I put a dodgy copy of Windows 7 on (it is old enough to have shipped with XP, and certainly not worth buying Windows 7 to test the upgrade). All I can say is it's been almost a year, and Windows 10 shows no signs of treating it any different than legit installs. However there are many different flavours of "dodgy"; you pays your money (or not), and you takes your chances.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This works: machine originally came with 7 Home Premium. Used the appropriate SLP key/cert for the same manufacturer with a clean install of 7 Ultimate, as you would with a modded BIOS, but no actual mod or loader necessary. Upgraded to 10 Pro, have since clean installed 10 Pro, and it's fully activated.

3. Sureo

I'll consider upgrading when Microsoft takes back my Windows 7 retail box DVD, purchased when Windows 7 was first released, and in return gives me a Windows 10 box DVD with a valid product key, so I can reinstall it as it always requires.

1. MrDrWho13

Supposedly they've changed the system so you upgrade with your windows 7 key, then sign in with your Microsoft account. When you re-install, your key is tied to your account so as long as you have your account details, your windows will activate.

I may be wrong though.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Windows

DVD/CD?

Can't remember the last time I used either to install software. Much easier and faster to just download the iso and use a copy tool to create a bootable usb stick. Saves all the bother of cleaning and praying for a duff DVD to work.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

The free version of Windows 10 is locked to the PC. You probably won't mind if you have an OEM version of Windows 7 or 8 but you might if you have a retail version.

Your MS account is just used so it's easier for MS to stalk you at user level instead of device level.

1. Innocent-Bystander*

The free version of Windows 10 is locked to the PC. You probably won't mind if you have an OEM version of Windows 7 or 8 but you might if you have a retail version.

Not my experience.

I had an OEM Windows 7, later upgraded to 8 (carried the OEM License) then upgraded to 10 when the upgrade offer started.

I just swapped motherboard and CPU a few weeks ago. Rebooted off the same hard drive, the system found and installed the drivers for mobo et al. and activated via digital entitlement when I signed on to my Microsoft account. Still activated, running happily on a different motherboard.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. David Neil

kind of

It's tied to some Hardware ID that is generated - swap a few bits and pieces and it might de-activate - though in my case they were more than happy to sort it out

2. TheVogon

You will always be able to reinstall it - and you won't need the product key. The upgrade process records your hardware as licensed and future reinstalls will know it's the same hardware...

3. Ellipsis
      Stop

> when Microsoft takes back my Windows 7 retail box DVD

From my cold, dead hands…

4. ABQ Sun

You might think the old way is easier to install windows but your wrong. Resetting a PC is so much easier now. No need for optical media or to keep the key. Its all stream lined and the whole procedure is easily 10X faster then installing seven. W7 updates takes much longer as well. I've installed W10 on four computers and they all run faster. Boot times have improved and many under the hood improvements. Really sick of all the privacy fears as well. Unlike Apple and Google, the user can install W10 with a local account and use the advanced installer to opt out of the telemetry. Sure they don't want you to do that but its quite easy to cut off MS cloud from the system. I don't want to go back to W7 way of doing things. It a PITA. In the end, it does not perform as well as W10 so I can't see why anyone would want to put themselves through the process of installing that OS.

Plus there are many really good modern apps now with excellent functionality. One example is the iheart app. It is laid out very nicely. But most importantly, the music sounds 100 percent better when I output to my blue tooth speaker. Much better then running it through a browser. It's scales alongside X86 apps and you really don't feel the two API's colliding like before. There is still allot of garbage apps but there is enough to improve the user experience over windows seven. They open instantly and allow me access information faster then how I did things on W7. The start menu is highly customizable and will get even better in the anniversary edition. Plus many of the settings pages will soon get a dark theme.. they look really nice. Point is, W10 keeps getting better with new features coming on board. W7 barely gets security updates. They do not add any more features anymore and they never will. Moving forward there will be less X86 apps that will be coded for 7. Its heading to the direction of XP. W7 is stuck in the year 2009 feature wise. Not a good place to be moving forward. And finally I don't have to worry about a virus hitting my bios. I know if I reset a W10 machine I will kill any infection. Not always the case in W7.

People assume that W10 does not have better coding then seven. Many feel the seven year old OS is at par with W10 and that W10 has no technological advantage over seven as far has under the hood improvements. This is delusional thinking.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually

"People assume that W10 does not have better coding then seven. Many feel the seven year old OS is at par with W10 and that W10 has no technological advantage over seven as far has under the hood improvements. This is delusional thinking"

Delusional. My middle name. Actually in terms of the efficiency of the base coding of 10 you may well be right but there is a problem and its name is telemetry. Just think of the number of processor cycles and IRQ that the telemetry modules require and you start to see the problem in terms of supposed efficiency gains on 10. Truth is that it is stodgy. Is 7 any better, no because it's been patched to hell and back. Probably the most efficient Windows system I use is 8.1 (with telemetry updates removed obviously) and I can say this with some confidence since I run multi core recording software and the dead giveaway is the latency figures. These are spectacularly good on 8.1, rubbish on 10 and passable on 7.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

Re: Actually

"Actually in terms of the efficiency of the base coding of 10 you may well be right but there is a problem and its name is telemetry."

We got PROBLEMS! Right here in Micro-shaft city! With a capital P that rhymes with T and that stands for TELEMETRY!

Aside from THAT obvious thing, there's the 2D FLUGLY that just irritates the *BLANK* out of me. I can't even use "Ape" (8.x), not even with 'Classic Shell', it's too distractingly UGLY. Tried. Couldn't stomach it. I don't even have an "Ape" VM any more.

And Win-10-nic is much, much, worse in that regard. 'Start Thing' comes to mind...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"use the advanced installer to opt out of the telemetry."

How do you know that you're opted out? How do you know a future update won't opt you back in without telling you? How do you substitute a more restricted set of T&Cs than the standard ones? Have you ever read those carefully? If you think you have, read again and try to find any restrictions on what they can take. I would not be prepared to put anything with those T&Cs on anything other than a burner test box.

1. Mark 85

How do you know that you're opted out?

You don't know until you've tested it with a "push". I'm thinking of taking out old travel laptop (Win7) and doing the.... ahem... upgrade. Then open up browser windows for say.... the fundamentalist Christian preacher of the week, some radical Muslim site, maybe 2 or 3 porn sites of different varieties. Then watch see what ads come my way. Or maybe the FBI....

We know they do telemetry for a lot of reasons and what is been monitored never fully explained. Nor have they explained what they do with said telemetry. I'm almost curious enough to see what happens.

3. cd / && rm -rf *

@ABQ Sun

Well, hello there @aqk, aka "Good Guy". Why the nym change?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like