back to article Chinese hacker jailed for shipping aerospace secrets home

Chinese national Su Bin has been sentenced to 46 months jail after admitting his role in stealing information on the Lockheed F-22 and F-35 aircraft, along with Boeing's C-17 cargo plane. The aviation expert worked with two members of China's military to attack networks of Boeing and US and European defence contractors in …

1. A_Melbourne

I am not sure what possible use the Chinese could have of the details of the F-35. I mean, the Chinese are lending the Americans the money to build this albatross - at $200+million apiece.

1. Captain DaFt

"I am not sure what possible use the Chinese could have of the details of the F-35."

"Gentlemen, study these stolen plans well and learn from them. They explain in detail the wrong way to build a world class fighter jet."

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Adrian Tawse

Fall about laughing

An even bigger joke is on the UK. Not only are we buying these white elephants we are buying the STOVOL version, we are building two carriers incapable of deploying anything else.

3. Triggerfish

I am not sure what possible use the Chinese could have of the details of the F-35. I mean, the Chinese are lending the Americans the money to build this albatross - at $200+million apiece.

I really couldn't guess.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Shenyang+J-31&safe=off&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfjPngw_XNAhVJvRoKHUawAEcQ_AUICCgB&biw=1530&bih=779

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Design data wouldn't really be of much use to a foreign power but performance & testing data would give them a very good idea of the true capabilities and limitations of these aircraft, telling them what they need to design against in their own aircraft and defence systems; they don't want to be able to copy these aircraft but to beat them.

2. Magani
    Thumb Down

A bit light?

"...has been sentenced to 46 months jail ..."

A bit light on for what's really giving succour to The Enemy.

Oh, I forgot, after their northern neighbour, they're the US's biggest trading partner. Can't upset those who provide all the electronic tat, can we?

3. Joseph Slabaugh

Is this an article from the future?

"Details emerged after his 20124 arrest..." That is a long time into the future.

1. Jim Cosser

Re: Is this an article from the future?

That or he has been arrested a LOT

4. Alister

"Bin assisted the Chinese military hackers in their efforts to illegally access and steal designs for cutting-edge military aircraft that are indispensable to our national defense, oh, and the F35 as well."

5. Aodhhan

Light Sentence

It does seem a bit light, but the information was classified "For Official Use Only", no secret or above information was stolen. I wonder though, before the arrest, how much misinformation they planted into the system which was then transferred to China?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Light Sentence

"I wonder ... how much misinformation they planted into the system which was then transferred to China?"

And how much of it was planted intentionally.

2. Vic

Re: Light Sentence

I wonder though, before the arrest, how much misinformation they planted into the system which was then transferred to China?

I don't think they need to - there's F-35 data in there.

I wonder if anyone has correlated the slowdown in the Chinese economy with that nation's acquisition of F-35 secrets?

Vic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like