back to article Windows Phone users beg Pokémon Go creators for attention

Frustrated Windows fans are lobbying the creators of Pokémon Go to bring the augmented reality game to their smartphones and devices. Forty thousand individuals so far have signed a petition at Change.org for Pokémon Go to be ported to Windows 10 and Windows mobile. According to the petition on Change.org: With the above …

Probably cheaper...

It'll probably be cheaper to just send a budget Android phone to all those that signed the petition than employ the development staff, and support the windows version.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Probably cheaper...

770,000 signatures are fake.

Silver badge

The hard reality

The hard reality is that it costs money to develop an support applications on a target platform . Finance people will have done the calculation against the potential target audiences and decided its not worth it.

Who can blame them given that the use of Windows generally is dwindling.

Silver badge

Re: The hard reality

This. I wondered about making apps as a hobby (you know, like all those other hobbies we have :P ).

It's easier and cheaper for me to buy and Arduino and program it, than try to navigate the hurdles and costs of uploading for Android or iOS (yes I know there are free options for testing/home development).

Have things changed?

Developing and even globally releasing for Android is essentially free. It is/was a one off $5 charge. All of the software is free and you can by multiple test devices for peanuts. It's also a p.o.p to develop for.

What possible costs and hurdles are there?

WTF?

<q>What possible costs and hurdles are there?</q>

- you're having a laugh, very good! Either that or you haven't got the 1st clue about developing real software...

Anonymous Coward

It may be true that it isn't worth it at the moment, but it depends on what trends are likely in the future. Pokemon has a good history but there are other apps and games out there that would be a big risk to support and no doubt the competition have already produced something that people may not switch from. A little like windows mobile and ios or android. As we have seen from android, produce a decent OS and Store then various large and small manufacturers will buy in. After being slow on the uptake this is what Microsoft are trying to do. Only time will tell if windows mobile is great enough for people to switch from incompatible systems and if some app developers have seen the trend early enough for it still to be worth it.

Anonymous Coward

Not sure what you are trying to say here. I have apps in both iOS and Android stores. Uploading is definitely not hard for either - I doubt you'd manage to write the app in the first place if you couldn't figure that out bit out. Android is basically free, and even with iOS you can get second hand kit very cheaply or just borrow someone's Macbook for the day...

Anonymous Coward

Supporting games on Windows Phone is like supporting games on Linux. Unless the porting is easy and cheap, the user base doesn't justify it.

Silver badge

The real cost is developer time to port from OS to another. iOS and Android have enough users spending money to justify the time. Winbloat mobile and all the other dwarves do not have the market share to recoup the costs.

It sucks to be on the platform with the smallest market share. I have a windows phone because they are cheap, reliable and work well with PCs. I honestly don't expect any apps to appear beyond the standard social media ones. If I wanted that I would have stayed with Android but I found I simply didn't use any.

Silver badge
Trollface

Windows Phone users: Gotta catch 'em all...

... That didn't take long.

WTF?

There are dozens of us, DOZENS!!!

That being said, I'm in no rush to hand over the contents of my Google account to a bunch of people like Niantic. Windows, the only platform where you are safe from Pokemon Go.

Anonymous Coward

Re: There are dozens of us, DOZENS!!!

You don't have to install it you know, even if you are using an iOS or Android device.

Go on, just say No and be different, be an individual.

I'm horrified to know that I'm not safe from Pokemon Go because I own an Android phone. And worse, I have a company iPhone!!

Oh wait. I didn't install Pokemon Go on either of them. Phew, crisis averted.

Silver badge

I'm just saying No to Android and iOS. There, that's my individuality asserted.

While we're wishing we should ask that the Win Mobile port not have any blatant privacy violations.

Silver badge
FAIL

As an advert for *not* buying a Windows Phone

this story really can't be beaten.

I gave up with Windows Phone (still the best mobile OS I have used :( ) last year after being fed up of not being able to get the apps which nowadays are part of engaging with the modern world.

Silver badge

Re: As an advert for *not* buying a Windows Phone

Well... Seriously: for me it's an advert to continue to buy into this phone. I like it that the platform doesn't follow all the hypes and just boringly does what it has always done. Of course it also helps that I mostly use my phone in a business like fashion, and I hardly play any games on it.

Speaking of which... It's one thing to try and get such a game to come to Windows Phone, but I seriously wonder if the batteries can actually cope with this :) There is a reason why Windows Phone hardly has any multi-taking.

Bronze badge

Pray tell which apps are you referring to. Besides email, chat, navigation and a browser, that is.

Anonymous Coward

Which apps would they be? Pokemon must be a tiny part of engaging with the world especially as it's so new to mobile OS. Unless you and your friends have been Pokemon crazy all these years. Not sure which apps aren't available that stop you engaging.

MJI
Silver badge

If you want to run games on your Windows phone, go to Steam store and install some Windows games.

/S ? Not sure if that is sarcasm, but Windows Phone is not Win32, there isn't even a Steam client app for Windows Phone.

"but Windows Phone is not Win32, there isn't even a Steam client app for Windows Phone."

No, but Win Phone will happily run XNA games, of which there are many available on Steam.

Bronze badge

So long as they are built for x86 *and* ARM execution... Example: Terraria is XNA, but look how long it took them to port it to the Xbox 360 - XNA yes, but the X360 is also a PowerPC platform.

"/S ? Not sure if that is sarcasm, but Windows Phone is not Win32, there isn't even a Steam client app for Windows Phone."

Yes there is!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/steam-official/9nblggh4x7gm

MJI
Silver badge

Yes it is sarcasm, they call it Windows and it doesn't run Windows software

Anonymous Coward

You really did buy inyo Microsoft lies about universal platform... lol

Anonymous Coward

I gave up with Windows Phone (easily the WORST mobile OS I have used :( ) last year after being fed up of not being able to get anything worthwhile on it, and people laughing at me in public because of it.

Anonymous Coward

Age old problem

I remember having a nice, capable Nokia S60-based phone back in the day. It would support all manner of applications (they weren't called 'apps' then!), but there simply wasn't the developer base to create them or distribute them.

That problem disappeared when Microsoft announced they were buying Nokia - suddenly nobody bothered buying those phones anyway, so there was no desire for applications either.

Silver badge
Windows

Re: Age old problem

Same happened to Skype.

It's happening to Linked In right now, too.

Silver badge
Trollface

Windows Phone?

What's that?

Sil

Re: Windows Phone?

What's that had almost 15 % market share in some European Markets before MS did nothing, budgeted 0 € advertising, and delivered W10 very late.

So not that far from iOS.

Since then it's halving every year congrats MSFT in helping your customer base.

Silver badge

and that same MS who has just annouced that the last bits of Nokia that they had in Finland are to close.

That's the EEE (with the last E being Extinguish) job wrt Nokia complete then.

Windows Phone has less than 1% marketshare. Those that made the mistake to buy one and expect app support should get a clue that they should have bought an iPhone or Android if they wanted to play the latest games. Windows Phone has had bad app support for the last 6 years.

Silver badge

>Those that made the mistake to buy one (cheap) and expect app support

Are the same people who buy a house next to an airport for pennies on the dollar and then spend all their effort petitioning against the jet noise.

Windows Phone does the job...

1. Makes Calls

2. SMS

3. Email

4. Web Browser

5. Maps

6. Camera

7. Whatsapp

8. Social Media : Facebook, Twitter, etc (if you're into those things)

What else do you need?

Millions of pointless apps?

Anonymous Coward

No Grindr.

No Pokémon Go.

No life.

Anonymous Coward

15%???? Where outer Mongolia???? Link please . Its never been more than 3% anywhere that mattered.

Anonymous Coward

>15%???? Where outer Mongolia????

You mean in Redmond WA where the original poster is right? Of course that includes freebies given by a certain local employer to its employees.

I believe the 15% high was Italy a couple years ago. It was around 10% or more in quite a few European countries too, including the UK, France and Germany. I think they also had similar success in Russia and some South American countries.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-phone-sales-are-hitting-new-highs-but-market-share-falls-in-europe/

http://www.gsmarena.com/kantars_data_shows_windows_phone_ahead_of_ios_in_russia-news-14808.php

Bronze badge

7. Whatsapp that doesn't bother notifying you most of the time because it's not been updated to use the new WP8.1 or 10 APIs and supplies you with a constant hiss from the speaker when it's open

Fixed it for you.

Phones <> Games console

Oh for the heady days of my youth when a phone was a telecommunications device and games were played on computers, consoles or handhelds...

But how long until the first obliviot is run down because they ran in front of a car to catch some nonexistant creature on the other side of the road? Not that it will be the poor little idiot's fault for not paying attention, or the parents who are only too happy to have their darling little offspring wandering the street with an expensive piece of consumer electronics in their hands, or the supply chain who are happily counting their ten pieces of silver while the hapless motorist will once again be blamed for everything...

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Phones <> Games console

I get ratty at my current work phone (an Android jobby) as it is no that good at being a phone, my two phone ago N8 was much better at being a telephone,

And my Vita is much better at playing games.

Silver badge
Unhappy

There is a simple issue...

..the Windows OS is a nice OS, try it you may surprised! I really like mine and would choose it any day over a Android phone costing 10x the amount.

BUT

would I recommend you buy it? No.

The simple reason is, MS are just not saying in, laymans terms, "Yes, we are going to continue to develop it and will support it for X years".

It's the uncertainty that is really killing the phone, not the OS or the hardware.

Anonymous Coward

Re: There is a simple issue...

MS will support it for as long as Windows 10 is supported. HP, Dell and others are currently producing hardware in support of windows mobile. Mobile isn't new to MS, I would have thought if MS thought mobile was a mistake then time and money would not have been spent creating an OS, supporting a Store and everything else that comes with app development. At worst the future will be as it is now whereby some android apps don't work on older versions, some uwp apps don't work on 8.1 and some future windows 11 apps (probably about a decade from now) won't work on windows 10.

Anonymous Coward

MS will support it for as long as Windows 10 is supported.

Why do think that? These are two very different products.

HP, Dell and others are currently producing hardware in support of windows mobile.

Until all 200,000 people who want a windows phone have one.

Silver badge

> ... if MS thought mobile was a mistake

In the real world, it's mobile that thought Microsoft was a mistake.

Sil

I signed in solidarity, although I couldn't care less for the game.

Bub

the worm turns

Just a few years ago it was all about Linux users signing petitions for game/app/whatever to be ported to Linux, only to be told 'it's not worth it'

The times they are a changin eh

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017