back to article Hopeless Vic agencies have two years to hit infosec best practice

Government agencies in the Australian state of Victoria will have two years to move from near ground zero to stand up fully-fledged and updated information security, risk, and governance policies. The requirements are a big ask for agencies in the southern state, previously described as in information security turmoil after …

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

"Australian Signals Directorate's lauded but non-compulsory top four security controls"

But still 4 too many for them to implement.

2. Aodhhan

Another lazy and poorly written article.

Big shock... and it takes a whole page to describe:

Agencies in Victoria currently have poor information security policies and procedures. They have been given 2 years to correct, implement, and maintain industry guidelines.

<Link to the pdf>

Tada.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Motivate them

Fining these agencies achieves (almost) nothing. Perhaps if the managers and directors were removed from office and barred from holding infosec jobs in state and federal government agencies for several years they would be motivated to actually do the job.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing will change

I was infosec manager for one agency 4 years ago. Put everything in place, policies, procedures, lined up the technology.

Went through and passed an audit (which of course only looked at the paperwork, not what was really in place) - and the whole lot was tossed the minute the last be-suited drone from whichever Big 4 Consulting firm that had been engaged, walked out the door. By decree of the CIO.

Said CIO is still serially CIO-ing (from Linkedin, he averages about 15 months per job). But he keeps on getting hired, the incompetent twat that he is.

I lasted a year before I quit in disgust.

With that approach, nothing will ever change. Absolutely nothing. Only a breech so bad they'd sacrifice the tossers on the altar of public opinion with serious jail time, could possibly fix this. Will happen the day I win the Tatts or when hell freezes over, whichever comes first.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like