back to article PM resigns as Britain votes to leave EU

The UK has voted to leave the European Union, confounding the polls, the "experts" and the British establishment in the biggest turnout for a vote here in 24 years. Prime Minister David Cameron announced his resignation at 8:30am this morning. The count stands at 51.9 per cent Leave, and 48.1 per cent remain – and more than a …

Well, when you do something and Trump praises you - you know, you've done the wrong thing...

Silver badge

If a racist like Farage is happy about it as well then you know you're in real trouble.

Well, when you do something and Trump, Le Pen, Hofer and Wilders praise you - you know, you've done the wrong thing..

FIFY

Putin seems pretty content with the situation today.

LDS
Silver badge

He knows the old Latin saying "Divide et impera".

Silver badge

"If a racist like Farage is happy about it as well then you know you're in real trouble."

Are you another idiot who can't tell the difference between race and nationality?

Silver badge

Are you another idiot who can't tell the difference between race and nationality?

That status is reserved for those who saw his Breaking Point poster and couldn't see anything wrong with it.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

No Farage and UKIP pals asctually can't tell the difference between nationality and racism

Silver badge

Putin seems pretty content with the situation today.

He is financing one way or another some of that across Europe in a tit-for-tat response for Ukraine and the sanctions. While his fingerprints are not on the money trail leading to Farage and Co (still, one wonders why Farage refuses to publish his tax return), he has given a 26M load to Le Pen as well as quite a few handouts to other "interesting suspects".

Anonymous Coward

> If a racist like Farage

Even more ironic - his surname is French Huguenot and so the vast likeihood is that he's a descendant of migrants from France..

Silver badge

"If a racist like Farage"

Can't recall him ever making a negative comment on race - perhaps you could enlighten us?

LOL at the CAC40 and DAX dropping substantially more than the FTSE. That tells you who our freedom really hurts....

All we need now to rub it in is to win the Euros....

Silver badge

"If a racist like Farage is happy about it as well then you know you're in real trouble."

No, however unless discussing technical details it's usually best to communicate in commonly understood or used language, even if it's misused.

So how would you define a "race"? :) [honest question] A set of people sharing a similar average skin tone, a set of people where the genetic similarity is over a certain percentage from another arbitrary set of people, a group of genetically varied individuals who happen to believe in the same invisisible friends or those through luck or circumstance happened to be born within the same, often rather arbitrary, geographic area of the same planet (or where their parents or other ancestors were born there)?

Silver badge
Pint

Farage = Huguenot vs.DNA

"Farage... ...surname is French Huguenot and so the vast likelihood is that he's a descendant of migrants from France."

DNA testing often reveals that family trees have branched off in unexpected directions. Although his surname is Huguenot, he's just as likely to have undocumented Polish plumbers, gypsies, and lizard people in his actual, biological, ancestral lineage.

Anonymous Coward

CAC40 and DAX dropping substantially more than the FTSE

Well duh, yes, because FTSE companies are priced in pounds sterling. Factor in the amount the pound dropped in value and you'll find what the effect on the value of the companies really is.

Anonymous Coward

"No Farage and UKIP pals asctually can't tell the difference between nationality and racism"

Farage is married to a German woman, he knows the difference between racism and nationalism. Do you know the difference between UKIP and the National Front? The trick has been to propagandize against UKIP as though its the National Front, and you seem to have fallen for that.

"Put Britain First" is not a terrorist cry. It's the majority view of UK.

Anonymous Coward

<<"Put Britain First" is not a terrorist cry.>>

And yet it was shouted by an assailant while stabbing and shooting a politician. Are terrorists only defined by the colour of their skin?

Silver badge

Re: CAC40 and DAX dropping substantially more than the FTSE

"Well duh, yes, because FTSE companies are priced in pounds sterling"

Well, Duh, FTSE companies are mostly not listed on the DAX or CAC....

Anonymous Coward

Re: Farage = Huguenot vs.DNA

"he's just as likely to have undocumented Polish plumbers, gypsies, and lizard people in his actual, biological, ancestral lineage."

You left out the bottom feeding catfish (that mouth), slime-moulds and fecal-feeding fungi.

<<"Put Britain First" is not a terrorist cry.>>

Many Christians object to Muslims saying "god is great" but are quite happy to say hallelujah which effectively means the same thing (and even refers to the exact same God).

Just because one nutter says "Put Britain First" does not automatically make everyone who wants to put Britain first a nutter any more that Trump saying "America first" makes all Americans nutters

Anonymous Coward

"And yet it was shouted by an assailant while stabbing and shooting a politician."

Who by all accounts is a disturbed individual who might just as well shouted "down with the lizard people!" as anything else.

"Many Christians object to Muslims saying "god is great" but are quite happy to say hallelujah which effectively means the same thing (and even refers to the exact same God)."

Wrong on ALL counts. Allahu akbar means "God is greater" not God is great. Meaning to Islam that Allah is greater than any other god.

"Hallelujah" is from the Hebrew word Hallel and is used to express praise or joy, the Greek form is Alleluia.

Allah is NOT the same God of Christians, The Quran describes Allah as the best deceiver there is, a liar who is not above using the same evil and wicked schemes of his opponents. For example, the Quran calls Allah a makr, in fact the best makr there is: But they (the Jews) were deceptive, and Allah was deceptive, for Allah is the best of deceivers (Wamakaroo wamakara Allahu waAllahu khayru al-makireena)! S. 3:54; cf. 8:30.

In the Catholic and Christian faiths God cannot be deceived nor does he deceive. "We believe 'because of the authority of God himself who reveals them, who can neither deceive nor be deceived'" (Catechism of the Catholic Church #156) The Muslim god Allah is NOT the same as the Christian God.

Sure...

As an ex-Christian speaking: the Christian god not evil (because evil, apparently, appeared out of nowhere even though Christians claim their god as omnipotent and "all good")?

You just keep right on telling yourself that, my good man. :rolleyes: You have never spoken to a Jewish holy man, have you?

There's little so depressing as the sanctimony of those who, the referendum having not gone as they wanted, wish to simply assert their moral superiority and say I told you so.

Yeh ... those sactimonious financial markets.

Childcatcher

bit early for I told you so

I'll just get on with my life hoping I was wrong

The markets were bound to do some funny things no matter the result. Hold on to your nuts when you look at your portfolio for a while, and the markets will rebound.

Not the first time the markets got spooked...

@NotBob

True - I give it three weeks before stability returns. Once the gamblers have screwed every last penny of profit they can from the instability.

Then it will be business as usual when everyone has worked out the sky hasn't fallen.

Silver badge

@Fink-Nottle,

Been meaning to ask, how are the newts? I trust they're basking contentedly!

Silver badge

"There's little so depressing"

Strong the butt hurt here be yes.

Democracy happened suck it down.

Silver badge

Yes, indeed it happened. The bigger question remaining is "will the powers that be follow the will of the people?". While it's not the "mandate" (more than X% for), it's still a majority.

If you do exit, will the inner city London types start a referendum to withdraw? I'm seeing at least 3 States here across the pond that are pushing for secession.

> Been meaning to ask, how are the newts? I trust they're basking contentedly!

@bazza : A bit of a frost, old bean. The newt studies were funded by an EU grant, dont'ya know. A telegram is m-p-h-ing to Wooster's man as we speak. Jeeves will know what to do; he eats tons of fish.

Yep

Just like certain people refuse to admit that the current government in London was very deliberately elected by the majority of voters in the majority of electorates those with inflated opinions on their intelligence and personal value will not accept that the same applies to this referendum.

Its called democracy and if you hypocrites don't like it then stiff.

And so far no more than when Britain joined the EU

All the financial (self proclaimed) genius of that time also predicted that all those London banks and businesses would run off to Frankfurt and other places, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

We all know what happened

The real issue here wasnt the economy, wasnt security or the future. it was "oo, there's a lot of folk around lately with strange accents."

Silver badge

Re: We all know what happened

Exactly. If ever proof were needed, this shows just how much xenophobic bigotry is still present in Britain.

Silver badge

So this is what it has come to, has it? One half of the country considers the other racist?

So Exit: Racist?

Leave: Elites?

bigot noun [C] uk /ˈbɪɡ.ət/ us /ˈbɪɡ.ət/ disapproving

› a person who has strong, unreasonable beliefs and who does not like other people who have different beliefs or a different way of life.

Bigotry exists on both sides if you ask me. Yes there are bigots and racists in the leave camp. But to tar just over half the population that way...seriously?

It couldn't be that people just had issues with EU in general or thought that the on-going economic crisis in Southern Europe is an unacceptable situation of which the EU holds a significant amount of blame on. Nope... Racism.

It couldn't be that people think the EU interfers too much in the UK and what UK gives up for EU membership just ain't worthwhile.... Nope, Racism.

It couldn't be that people believe that immigration needs sensible control of which the EU obliterates... placing intense strain on established services and allowing foreign criminals and benefit cheats into the country...... oh sure, cas it's just Racism.

It has been clear this entire debate where the majority of the bigotry has come from and that is actually the Remain side whom ad hominem the leave side by calling the entire thing racist and not wanting to actually engage in logical and sensible debate.

Silver badge

Bigotry exists on both sides if you ask me. Yes there are bigots and racists in the leave camp. But to tar just over half the population that way...seriously?

At no point did I suggest that all Leave voters were either racists or bigots.

However you cannot deny that a significant portion of the country voted to Leave based purely on the Immigration issue, and the completely false premise that "we can control our own borders now" as I heard quoted on the radio this morning.

Gold badge
Unhappy

But do we really understand why it happened?

Congratulations Brexiteers you got what you asked for.

Time will tell if it's what you wanted.*

And wheather there is any mfg left in the UK or it will become a nation of "financial consultants" and baristas.

Silver badge

The trouble is, other than the helots turning up each day to clean the swimming pool and vacuum the house, there weren't that many people with funny accents in Hampstead or Kensington, but in other parts of the country the local culture has changed utterly without the consent of the people who used to live there.

Silver badge

Well the financial experts will have decamped to Frankfurt so we're probably left with the hipsters.

Silver badge
Facepalm

What it is come to is a large percentage of the country are not necessarily racists, but idiots who bought the lies that the Leave campaigners unashamedly spun.

Leaving the EU will not address any of the challenges facing the UK, and the rest of Europe, in the 21st century. It will just make all of us the weaker in tackling them.

But people believed it when they were told that leaving the EU would protect us from an imminent invasion of millions of Turks, and put £350m a week into the NHS. Both of these were unapologetic lies that they are already started back pedalling on.

And guess what? Those funny accented people that you have been fooled into thinking are the source of your woes? They're not going back to where they came from. So if that is what you voted for, you've been a mug. They've now got jobs and are a part of the economy that this vote has done its best to cripple. No-one is going to force them to leave, any more than the millions of UK citizens in Europe are going to be forced back home.

And if you trust the likes of Boris or, god help us, Farage, to set up a fair society with the same progressive regulations the EU has spent decades creating, you're an even bigger mug.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Three months ago I said:

There are positive arguments for staying as part of the EU but I've yet to hear anyone make them. "No Tracy, don't leave. Stay and make a go of it or he'll cut up rough." isn't the winning argument you all seem to think it is. In fact from what I've seen it's flat out counter-productive.

After watching the campaign and the aftermath I think I can add: If you want to convince people of your ideas don't talk about them as though they are the shit on your shoe.

Anonymous Coward

"on-going economic crisis in Southern Europe"

Just it's not EU to have created it. The blame is on a string of corrupt, inefficient, greedy *local* governments that created it breaking the EU rules (i.e. debt control) while altering the evidences. *Local* government elected by citizens who just wanted to suck more money out of their privileges, subsidies, and corruption. Out of the taxes from of honest, hard working people, better if those from abroad, who can't vote for the *local* government. The EU acted to stop that. It did some mistakes (i.e. too high interests on leases), sure.

Italy has more 10,000 state/region/town -controlled companies. A large percentage of them with more high-paid administrators and executives than employees. Most of them in the red, requiring tax payers money to survive - money that can't be used for investments to get past the crisis.

But nobody wants to close them, because they are a huge reserve where politicians can find highly paid, cozy jobs for friends and relatives. And that's just an example.

Of course, it's the EU to blame. Listen to those politicians who wants to maintain the status quo because it's from it they get the most advantages. The EU is asking them to renounce to their unethical, if not illegal, privileges, and they will fight to "death" to avoid it. Having to find a job to earn money? Are you mad?

Southern Europe - I live in Italy - won't be saved by more money spent or lax rules - they will just be funneled and used by corrupt governments into buying more short-term electoral consensus to maintain their extremely high paid seats (if you believe eurocrats are paid too much, look at those in Italy....) - leaving the root issues exactly as before.

The four bank who went bankrupt in Italy, and the other two the barely escaped it (zeroing their share values, meanwhile), are a perfect example of extremely bad *local* management too often colluded with *local* politicians.

Thereby, yes, believing EU is to be blamed for what It didn't, it's a form of racism. It's bad just because it's the EU.

Anonymous Coward

And you mean people from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and other ex British colonies in Asia and Africa - from now highly courted Commonwealth members - came from the EU? And they will stop coming?

How many "British" companies are already owned by Indian ones? And by Arab ones? Will you buy them back to stop those foreigners coming and changing how people are used to live there?

Anonymous Coward

@R3sistance

"It couldn't be that people just had issues with EU in general or thought that the on-going economic crisis in Southern Europe is an unacceptable situation of which the EU holds a significant amount of blame on. "

No, seriously.

Move to somewhere out of your normal comfort zone and you will see. I have done so twice.

For 3 years I lived on a council estate with available housing as nobody wanted to move there, resident's burnt the fences to keep warm (when they didn't burn boots & shoes, yes really, suprising what people talk about while waiting for the bus). From there I moved to traditional manual labour working class city with a decimated tranditional industry. I still live in the second place and stayed because everyone was so frendly, however, I'm white, I would have gone home after the 6 months I needed to the there if I wasn't.

Before you accuse me of being middle class or elitest and not knowing poverty, put down your stones, let the man who has needed declared himself destitute for a £20 cash handout cast the first stone. I don't blame the people I live with, I blame the, so called, leaders. They are scum that later litter our lives to benefit their advantage, who else would persuade the poor to blame those who are poorer still.

The leave campaign have stirred this up to suit their own agenda, it won't stop here.

I actually saw people in my polling station with pens in hand! FFS, as if an organisation with a vote changing agenda would rub out individual votes! There are far more than a small percentage of gullible and racists, they are all Leave needed to brainwash.

Anonymous Coward

"However you cannot deny that a significant portion of the country voted to Leave based purely on the Immigration issue, and the completely false premise that "we can control our own borders now" as I heard quoted on the radio this morning."

There may be an element of that, however, do the results back that up?

Given the results, I would suggest that areas of the country that haven't felt the benefits of "the economy" over the last two/three terms of government and are used to local companies making statements about the need for X or Y before closing a local factory are a little jaded by the remain campaign.

The turnout alone vs general elections suggested people cared about the result because they thought it would make a difference which begs the question why?

If this is framed purely as an immigration issue and the economic/establishment issues are ignored, then the UK is in for troubled times indeed

Silver badge
Go

The thing that happened ...

is that a democratic country had a democratic election on a clearly defined topic. I am not happy about the result, but I think the election result and those who voted deserve respect.

Now there'll be the British experiment outside of the EU. It'll be interesting to see how a major European country will do on its own without oodles of oil money (the Norwegian way), oodles of banking money (the Swiss way), or a fishing-based economy (the Iceland way). Everybody in the EU will break out the popcorn to watch. And no, you British folks cannot have a handful, you don't belong anymore.

Now, concerning that Wembley goal, let's just clarify once and for all that is was a tragic referee error. You'd have deserved to win that game fair and square, how sad that it didn't turn out that way....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017