back to article Microsoft won't back down from Windows 10 nagware 'trick'

Microsoft is hurt and disappointed that people would think it was trying to “trick” them with a confusing Windows 10 upgrade dialog that scheduled an upgrade without users explicitly agreeing to do so. Redmond recently created a new Windows 10 nagware reminder that presented a dialog asking you to install the OS. But if users …

Page:

1. Ralph B

My opinion on this?

My opinion on this.

1. robidy

Re: My opinion on this?

Ralph, you post doesn't do the link justice.

You should clarify that the link is to a remarkably helpful tool that will stop the nagware, prevent inadvertent deployment of Windows 10 by desktop users, recover lost disk space and hopefully prevent mobile users busting their data limits downloading a large Windows 10 installer.

It has a helpful command line interface for use in enterprise environments which is vital for smooth and effective deployment.

It will also clear up gigabytes of disk space lost when GWX installs, some people have claimed it's freed up over 10GB!

PS. I have no connection with the author.

PPS. User beware - take the usual precautions before deploying any application...test it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It will also clear up gigabytes of disk space lost when GWX installs, some people have claimed it's freed up over 10GB!"

Does this restore the gigabytes of bandwidth wasted on downloading this shite without your permission and refund you any fees incurred for inadvertantly going over your download limit?

Bunch of utterly f*****g shameless weasels.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OK, so I've run the software and restarted, and the nagware is gone from my system tray but the Windows 10 update is still in the Control Panel Windows Update and still a default selection. Was I just expecting too much?

1. Ralph B

> Was I just expecting too much?

Never10 doesn't/can't stop the Windows Update from downloading the Control Panel Windows Update. It just stops the update from being used - via Microsoft's official group policy settings.

1. Mikel

The meaning of the policy settings will be changed.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Gates Horns

The meaning of the policy setting will NOT change. The meaning of the policy setting has never changed. Dismissing a dialogue has always initiated an unwanted complete system "upgrade." Trustedtruthyness is our ally. Microsoft has always been at war with our victims customers. DisableOSUpgrade=1 has always meant "don't upgrade beyond Windows™ X®." Move along...

3. Peter 26

Wow that sites a blast from the past.

Shield's Up!

4. Zippy's Sausage Factory

I think I'll stick with Windows 10 When I Want It thanks.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

... or GWX Control Panel which can remove the update if it's started.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

MY opinion on this

2. paulc
        Mushroom

I think I'll stick with Windows 10 When I Want It thanks.

I really, really hate websites that want your email address in order to download something...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hmm, this is nothing more than a tool to automate the creation/destruction of 2 registry keys.

Surrounded (as typical for GRC) with a great deal of fanfare, like its some major achievement.

He moans about the file size being 56k, well, here you go, in 244 bytes.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]

"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

Because all the program does is create or delete those 2 keys.

That's it.. And this is new information how exactly?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Check out here:

GRC has no "security researchers". It's practically a one-man operation, and Gibson is just a loud-mouthed twit with no security experience. He's been widely denounced by actual security experts. Just see the controversy around his Windows XP SOCK_RAW and WMF bug/Windows backdoor claims. And his most popular work, the "SpinRite" app, is just a load of snake-oil he's managed to con a decent number of people into paying for...

The old grcsucks.com is gone, but there are still several sites dedicated to exposing his fraud, mistakes and lies over the years:

http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/steve_gibson/

http://radsoft.net/news/roundups/grc/

1. Craig Chambers

Attrition.org... That really is a blast from the past!

2. Not That Andrew

You are right, he's basically a wannabe McAffee and like McAffee occasionally amusing, but not to be taken seriously or trusted with anything potentially dangerous.

Rather use something like GWX Control Panel, IMO any of the others are much more effective than Gibson's attempt to jump on the anti Windows 10 bandwagon.

2. Adam JC

What about cleaning up the ~10GB of shite it's decided to download in the background?

1. Danny 14

If this app installed malware I bet the malware would be better than the windows 10 installed otherwise.

As for spinrite, I used it once at a customers premises. 80gb hard drive, clicking away. Would eventually boot into windows given a few hours. spinrite managed to at least mark huge chunks as "bad" so that the drive wouldn't go near the clicking portions so the drive could be booted and data copied off (at the time neither ghost nor PING would clone the disk so it was last ditch). apart from that ive had little experience with it but wondered how it actually worked as I thought the drive firmware would stop you messing with raw data.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is the source available, so people can see it's not doing something shonky?

7. RayStantz

Awwww Microsofts feelings are hurt.... I DOUBT IT!!!

It doesn't take a genius or even someone with a degrees in social behavior or even Engineering to point out how right out horrible an idea this is to FORCE people to download Windows 10, this is NOTHING to do with if its a good program or not, it has all to do with people and their right to choose as well as the damage this has done by ignorantly having the program install without even the knowledge of the owner of the computer even being aware of it if they happen to not be around the computer at the time it installs.

The damage it has done to some computers, the loss of personal information and money its caused not to mention how it interrupted people at work for a long period of time and more not even mentioning the stress shows how this is by no means something "good" Microsoft was doing for their customers, it was them forcing their will on people as they saw fit, something that is as close to digital rape as one can get in my opinion and to add to the insult they act like they know better then we do, for months they asked people if they want to upgrade to windows 10, harassing them with this like its an ad and people were fully aware of the choice to upgrade or not and so at this point the people who didn't were all saying NO!!! So how is this justified??? HOW!!! You have no way to opt out unless you turn off the updates MAYBE and/or go to some other outside application like i did to stop it from being forced on my system!!

So Microsoft is "hurt" BULL, its a simple case of them not caring and forcing others but in this case its caused damage and in my opinion, they are liable, class action sounds good about now!

Also, i hear a lot of good things about Apple!

1. Mark 85

Awwww Microsofts feelings are hurt.... I DOUBT IT!!!

Sure they are, just like the advertisers' feeling are hurt that we use adblockers, or the malware writers' feelings are hurt because we won't respond to their attempts, or Microsoft Techs' feelings are hurt because we won't allow them to get rid of all the viruses on our computers.

Oh wait.. Hurt=Bottom Line... Tough.. hurt all you want, you bastards.

8. J__M__M

The problem is, your opinion does not matter anymore. MS flat out sucks it.

9. Winters

Yup! I use http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ but I doubt there is much difference in their functionality: Destroy 10!

2. N2

so

You'll have noticed that Microsoft didn't say it would re-write the app so that closing the app is taken as a “no”, as happens for just about every other dialog Windows offers.

Thus failing Microsofts own 'Windows Certification' then?

1. Ralph B

Re: so

> Thus failing Microsofts own 'Windows Certification' then?

He's right, you know.

[quote]

The Close button on the title bar should have the same effect as the Cancel or Close button within the dialog box. Never give it the same effect as OK.

[/quote]

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: so Desperation

Seems they are rather desperate

1. Mikel

Desperation. This tells us their secret. This level of desperation can only be fuelled by fear. Their analysis of the situation must be that if they don't successfully migrate everyone to W10 they are doomed.

And with that I do agree. The end is nigh for them.

1. Charles Pearmain

Well, their marketing geniuses talked them into screwing everyone's desktops up with a GUI designed to drive phones. Then MS were surprised to discover that pretty much everyone hated the phones so much that they're now pulling out of the market.

I'd say yes, they must be getting even more bloody desperate than after the Windows 8 debacle.

1. mstreet

I think it was more a case of everyone hating Microsoft than their phones. The anti-windows phone movement has had me baffled from the start. I had a Win 8 phone (Lumia 1050) for 2 years, and it was frankly, the best phone OS I've used. The easiest to read, best reception, best integration with the corporate email system etc.The only real problem I had with it, was that it seemed engineered to fall out of the users hand. A colleague with a Nokia 750 pretty much echos the same impressions.

This is coming from someone who has entirely purged all their computers of Windows in the last year and a half, and who has become as bad as an ex-smoker in telling people how insidious Microsoft has become. But I'll give credit were it is due, and I think MS made a good phone OS. If not for the ineptness of their marketing department, they wouldn't have had to scrap the project.

The only conclusion I can come up with in regard to the negativity, is that most people who like to bash the device, have never actually used one, and are talking out of their asses.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I think it was more a case of everyone hating Microsoft than their phones.

You're seeing the exact kind of stupid shit that MS pulls when it feels the need to, and you're wondering why people avoided it on their phones? People have been putting up with MS's crap for years. Dislike of MS is ingrained into most everyone now and it's something MS have brought onto themselves.

Their Windows phone could have been a *fantastic* OS for all most people know. But no-one cares, when it's MS behind it. (and rightfully so)

Imagine how well an phone "Made by Oracle" would have gone. About the same probably.

2. Alan_Peery

I had a Windows phone, a fancy Lumia that was handed out to one lucky attendee at a Microsoft one day conference on Azure and other technologies.

* I couldn't adjust the font size small enough in any of the apps. I prefer to read emails more than 30 words or so at a time.

* Inflexible home screen layout compared to Android.

* No ability to replace the keyboard functionality

* Many of the apps I wanted were not available, and no corresponding work-alike available.

*** Stitcher for podcasts

*** Zinio for magazine reading

*** Pocket for offline web page reading

*** IMDB for movie lookup

*** App for renting the city bikes available in London aka "Boris bikes"

*** Weather Pro -- a weather app that breaks the next five days by 4 hour forecasts, very good for planning outdoor activities

*** App for accessing the detailed Ordnance Survey maps for planning UK hikes

*** Strava app for tracking bike rides

*** App like FB Reader for reading public domain (out of copyright) books in .mobi and .epub formats

* Commercial and market leading apps weren't as good as either the iOS or Android versions

*** Kindle page formatting options not as flexible

*** Google Photo style backup didn't seem to include a "photo album" feature up on the website viewer

*** Skype was just weak overall

*** Web browser lacked the "save image to file" function

*** Map tool lacked verbal directions, ability to plan trips via public transport or bike

As it's been a while since I used the Lumia, I might have forgotten a few things or the story might have improved. My feelings at the time were that anyone who was satisfied with the Lumia phones simply didn't know what was possible.

3. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Even if it's an enjoyable phone OS, it's still Microsoft. Look at the very thing we're talking about here in this thread -- changing the little red X from "close dialog" into "upgrade my OS against my wishes". It's bad enough that garbage like that happens on PCs, but do we need it happening on our phones too? Maybe it didn't happen while you had your Windows phone, but what's to stop them? I'm sure many people said "Oh, Microsoft would never FORCE people to upgrade against their wishes or use trickery to make it happen", yet here we are. They want EVERYONE on 10, and that would eventually include those phones.

Nah, I'll stick with Android until the Ubuntu phone is polished and ready for the masses.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

》 I think it was more a case of everyone hating Microsoft than their phones.

You clearly never used older windows phones. They're one of the few types of device that have left me screaming in frustration.

The old WinCE was a very appropriate name.

2. JLV
            WTF?

Agree with you, but it doesn't make that much sense.

MS is a company with deep coffers and a serious likeability and hipness deficiency. It has a fair bit of strengths (at least to some people, if not our enlightened commentards).

Death-marching everyone to Win 10 achieves what, exactly? They still need to support Win 7 and 8.x until those 2 have reached end of support. Sure, there are some operating gains from supporting say 90% of users on Win10 and 10% on 7/8. As opposed to say 50/50. Your support staff can be on new technologies rather than legacy cruft. Easier troubleshooting? (we know telemetry isn't used to listen to what customers prefer).

But is it that much of a gain? At the cost of getting reviled day in, day out by a majority of IT influencers (argh, wish I could think of a better word here). And getting panned in general news coverage? Heck in 2 months, they can sell you what they're giving away for free now 8-/...

It's not like Win Phone is going anywhere that it still justifies the clever Win 8.x screw-desktop-users-to-promote-touch strategy. That horse has bolted.

What exactly is the point here? Is there so much value in the telemetry? I understand Google's hunger for your data - they've built a successful business on it. But MS isn't as ad-focused. And Win 10 usage telemetry is hardly going to be very useful to sell you toothpaste or cars, is it?

Why so much perseverance at what seems to be a self-defeating exercise that is steadily driving down public perception? What is the rational reason for it? Or is it just misplaced hubris and stubbornness?

WTF is for MS, not the OP's post.

1. Mark 85

But MS isn't as ad-focused. And Win 10 usage telemetry is hardly going to be very useful to sell you toothpaste or cars, is it?

I think that needs to be suffixed with a "yet". It does seem to be coming with the Software (or OS) as a Service model. "Pay us or get ads". I'm hearing from users that they do get ads. Not many yet, but they pop up on the desktop and in some apps.

2. Someone Else Silver badge
              Big Brother

@JLV -- Re: so Desperation

What exactly is the point here? Is there so much value in the telemetry? I understand Google's hunger for your data - they've built a successful business on it. But MS isn't as ad-focused. And Win 10 usage telemetry is hardly going to be very useful to sell you toothpaste or cars, is it?

Why do you assume that Micros~1 is going to sell that telemetry data to advertisers?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Sir_Hops_A_Lot

The reason is probably the reason that got Balmer fired: the App Gap.

Google, Amazon and Apple have been slaughtering MS in the Apps market and their push into the phone market was too little, too late. So MS turned to the captive Windows user base to garner a piece of the pie...frantically and ineptly.

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Total asshattery. "We decided to screw you over and we meant it".

What's galling is that Windows 10 is rather better than Windows 8 (and 8.1). Not that this is much of an achievement.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Better than Win8? Maybe, but still sucks big time comparing to Win7.

1. Danny 14

We have a couple of windows 10 laptops, they came with windows 10 on them and our 8.1 image didn't like the laptop.

Rest of the network is 7, laptops use 8.1 purely for the fact you can add WIFI from the ctrl-alt-del screen (and thus VPN in from CTRL-ALT-DEL) rather than getting a user to cache their logon first before going home and adding their WIFI.

2. jelabarre59

Better than Win8? Maybe, but still sucks big time comparing to Win7.

I much preferred MSWin 2000

3. TRT Silver badge

It's all in the way you ask the question.

"Is there a possibility that you do not wish to not upgrade to upgrade and remain at the downgrade of the new upgrade?"

1. Anonymous Custard

But only if said without any pause or hesitation in your finest Nigel Hawthorne voice...

4. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        Headmaster

> Thus failing Microsofts own 'Windows Certification' then?

He's right, you know.

[quote]

The Close button on the title bar should have the same effect as the Cancel or Close button within the dialog box. Never give it the same effect as OK.

[/quote]

I am not sure he is, even though I would class it as a dubious move.

This is not the normal nagware to install Windows 10 but appears to be the notification that it will be installed.

There is no "Cancel" button, only a link to change the installation date or abort the installation.

Closing the form is accepting things 'as they are'.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Thumb Down

If you further read the UI guidelines...

When assigning order, assume that users display dialog boxes for their intended purpose; so, for example, users display choice dialogs to make choices, not to review and click Cancel.

Use Cancel or Close for negative commit buttons instead of specific responses to the main instruction. Quite often users realize that they don't want to perform a task once they see a dialog box. If Cancel or Close were relabeled to specific responses, users would have to carefully read all the commit buttons to determine how to cancel.

Provide a Cancel button to let users explicitly abandon changes. Dialog boxes need a clear exit point. Don't depend on users finding the Close button on the title bar.

Etc... etc...

Since when does a dialog that opens and immediately changes data (itself a pretty dubious practice), accept that change on hitting close or cancel? At the very most it should pop up a modal dialog and ask if you are sure you want to leave without saving changes.

1. Mpeler
            Mushroom

Good points. Two things come to mind:

Being Micro$oft means never having to say you're sorry.

and, with regard to the window close = OK,

"Heads, we win; Tails, you lose"...

If Microsucks (and Mucked-up-media/Adobe) actually adhered to good coding practices, there'd never be a need for "Patch Tuesdays"...

2. Tchou
          Unhappy

Am I the only poor soul who have to endure Windows 10 fans at work?

I work in a dev shop, most of my colleagues are software engineers.

5. Hans 1
        Happy

Everybody, be polite, but express your feelings in the comments on msdn of this page (Click "This page was not helpful")... if there are enough comments, they might end up reading some ;-)

6. MrHinsh

And clicking the X does exactly what a cancel or close button would do on every other dialog box. It cancels or stops the current operation.

Since the current operation is "giving the option to re-schedule the update" then it does indeed cancel/stop that operation. If the purpose of this window was to install the update then cancel would stop/dismiss the update and it would not happen.

This is completely consistent with the existing user experience of all dialog boxes in Windows.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like