back to article Jobs in Ireland may be vulnerable at post merger Dell Technologies

When Dell completes its acquisition of EMC and its subsidiary VMware, the combined Dell Technologies will become one of the largest technology employers in Ireland. But with role duplication almost inevitably raising the spectre of job losses as the firms integrate, the elimination of product overlaps will also have a job …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Race to the bottom

When companies are in your country not because of the excellent communication links, access to local world class universities and financial centres, and good climate, but because you offer them the best tax avoidance facilities you can get - this isn't necessarily the best thing for the population as a whole.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Race to the bottom

If you really wanted to avoid tax, you can do it without hiring 5,000 staff.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Race to the bottom

Consistent growth of fibre connections to the US and UK, with France to follow, and the Hibernian spar will mean roughly equivalent speeds to what London gets - although if you move away from Dublin or Cork to the west, your mileage may vary. Highly rated universities turning out a well educated english speaking work force every year. Ireland if not without Finance Centres and services either. So the only legitimate issues you mention are a better tax rate (and the UK has not got a great track record on this either), and a middling climate.

You come off somewhere between bitter and vaguely racist, although I'm sure this wasn't your intent.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Expect all the jobs to go to India

Don't say I didn't warn you....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Expect all the jobs to go to India

Pretty much what I was thinking. Or maybe to Hong Kong, Singapore or some other place with low wages and a large "English-speaking" workforce. The short era of EU tax havens is drawing to a close. I'd also expect a massive reduction in R&D like we saw at HP. Everything will be focused on increasing sales of existing product. Dell's future will be struggling to pay off the debt it incurs from this deal.

3. Jay 2
    Meh

I wonder if they'll all still use dell.com?

"All the existing Dell enterprise servers, storage networking products move to that part of the new organisation."

Hopefully that will go better that HP's shift of enterprise kit to HPE. That had a phase of not being able to find any info on either of their websites.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: I wonder if they'll all still use dell.com?

Or Oracle deleting/redirecting the Sun site instead of just changing page logos so hyperlinks still work.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

http://dilbert.com/strip/1996-05-13

5. Fungus Bob
    Trollface

Jobs in Ireland may be vulnerable

I don't think so, he doesn't get out much anymore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like