back to article NBN launches satellite broadband services

Australia's national broadband network (NBN) has turned on its 25Mbps satellite service. Communications minister Mitch Fifeld and regional communications minister Fiona Nash today pressed the go button for satellite services. The service isn't complete, because only one of two planned Sky Muster satellites is in orbit. That …

1. JJKing

Oh yes, this is one of the two magic space boxes that malcum turnbull(shit) said we didn't need.

May all those who can connect enjoy the shit out of it. :-)

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

About 200,000 premises will be encouraged to use satellite broadband, as they're too far from telephony infrastructure to make wired or fixed wireless connections practical.

Actually, I can see several homes from my place that will have to connect via satellite. They are manifestly not "too far away from telephony infrastructure" when they are only a few hundred metres from where I'm connected by FW and could quite easily have been connected by fibre replacing the copper on the telephone poles that still provide us with POTS. They are only unable to connect to the wireless tower because of the tower location. I imagine most will revert to mobile wireless when the DSL is disconnected. Telstra's Boost provides 11 GB of data a month and unlimited calls for $40.

A bit harsh to blame Malcolm Turnbull for this when it's all part of the original NBN Plan conceived by Labor.

3. cbommm

Yes Please

I hope I can get this in my Sydney/Bankstown unit. 3mb down & 0.1 up over ADSL2 is quite frustrating. I'n not even on the NBN road-map yet :/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like