back to article Qatari hack: Bank 'investigating' leak

After yesterday's allegations of a file leak, the Qatar National Bank has issued a neither-confirm-nor-deny statement about the data dump. As El Reg reported yesterday, a zipfile first posted appeared, disappeared re-appeared on Cryptome.org, leaving claims it contains personal data of the bank's customers in its wake. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why bother with security?

From where I stand, giving information to a bank seems to have become the equivalent of publishing it on Facebook in private mode: you only THINK it's safe.

The article makes an interesting observation, though: from the type of data, it can be inferred where the leak occurred, which may identify the guilty party. I'd be worried about that if I were the leaker, because law enforcement there makes Abu Ghraib look like a holiday camp.

1. An nonymous Cowerd

Re: Why bother with security?

this smells a bit of Spy vs Spy antics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onR7PD3Grc0)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional

Qatar and Turkey(whose foreign policy is less favourable in western world's eyes) is becoming victim of very sophisticated and big cyber attacks these days. And there are always some big skilled mysterious hacker groups who continusly targets economy of comparatively developed Muslim majority countries. Most of the time it's about doing harm than earning money.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04/hacking-group-platinum-used-windows-own-patching-system-against-it/

These countries should increase their security. Or jointly create an Internet system whose leader is not USA.

3. Aodhhan

More likely...

It's a little bit of real information, with a lot of BS info added in to get people's attention.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like