back to article Is Microsoft's Office dev platform ready to go mainstream?

"For the first time we are opening up Office 365 not just as an end-user and an enterprise tool and a service, but as a developer platform," said Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella during the earnings call following the company's latest financial results. Despite Nadella's comment the ability to develop for Office 365 is not new, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

coming soon?

The Office 365 App Store?

No. Please god no. NNAAS (No, not another App store)

Just wait, someone will make a minecraft client for O365. Even more change to not do any work.

I'll pass thanks.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: coming soon?

Already here, according to the web page that the article links to.

"To make your Add-in available to users, you can publish it on the Office Store"

-A.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Running code from a remote source in Office...

... what can go wrong?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Running code from a remote source in Office...

Exactly my first thought.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"programmatically edit Excel documents in OneDrive"

Hear that faint sound of heavy breathing ? That's all the malware scum hyperventilating at the thought of all they will be able to accomplish once they hijack an entry point into there.

Ah, Microsoft. In just two weeks you unveil OS-level QR codes and now an API for One Drive code execution. Really guys, you need to slow down. The blackhats don't have enough time to keep up with you there. Do you intend to drown them in vulns ?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: "programmatically edit Excel documents in OneDrive"

"Hear that faint sound of heavy breathing ?..."

Not sure if you have read this line in the MS release:

"The basic components of an Office Add-in are an XML manifest file and your own web application. The manifest defines various settings, including how your add-in integrates with Office clients. ... Your web application needs to be hosted on a web server, or web hosting service, such as Microsoft Azure."

ie. the add-on can run anywhere in the world and you the user, will have no way of knowing where that redaction add-in you are using to sanitise your top secret document is actually running...

[https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/overview/office-add-ins ]

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So token ethnic minority reports to generic business white women, who is managed by beared hipster.

And the excel spreadsheet is "trendingAround", which I guess means it became a meme.

5. BugabooSue
    Stop

And my company just got rid of our O365 subs three weeks ago! :)

OK, perhaps we are not the target audience any longer - after dumping Windows (for a variety of Linux distros) due to Win10 slurping. The OS switch meant the cancellation of several hundred seats of O365 as as they were no longer needed at this office location. Company-wide, the loss of Slurp's revenue must have been noticeable even to SatNad's myopic bean-counters.

But getting back to O365 becoming a 'Development Platform' - you just know this isn't going to end well -

To paraphrase my boss (in an almost SFW way), "They can go copulate [with] themselves if they think we are ever going to get involved with that sh*t!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Ribbon

If it means that someone might provide a 3rd party free app to give back the menus and remove the ribbons, it might possibly tempt me away from Libre Office!!!

Although it's unlikely even that would tempt me back to MS Office.

7. Captain Badmouth
    Big Brother

I stopped reading

whenI saw the bullshit business speak microsohitgraph

https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/04/22/microsoftgraph.jpg?x=648&y=348&crop=1

Who gets paid for this stuff?

8. kryptylomese

Oh, it's as ready for the mainstream as is anything else made by Microsoft, but the mainstream doesn't want it any more!

9. Ian Ringrose

By the time that 90% of the customers of any independent software vendor have version of office that support this new API, Microsoft will have released a version of Office that replaces it with yet another API.

I have never seen any integration with office end well, if it requires “tanking” to a copy of office…..

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Lets face it, MS struggles to maintain proper compatibility with their own versions of Office. I pity the poor buggers who end up depending on this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like