back to article Three-bit quantum gate a step closer to universal quantum computer

Quantum research boffins in Australia have demonstrated one of computing's universal gates, the Fredkin gate, operating with qubits instead of bits. The Fredkin gate – described here at Wikipedia – is a reversible three-bit gate that can be used to construct AND, OR, XOR and NOT functions. If the first of the three bits is a 1 …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Happy

Am the only person who sees Fredkin and reads Freakin'?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Maybe. Me, I always read 'Austria' instead of 'Australia' first. One of them should be renamed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hey!

I identify as a Fredkin!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"one can build larger quantum circuits in a more direct way "

So, in the quantum world, size matters ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "one can build larger quantum circuits in a more direct way "

"So, in the quantum world, size matters ?"

yes and no

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

When can we expect quantum bricks?

But seriously, sounds like a big step forward. Will need the rest of the week though to wrap my mind around the details.

4. PaulAb

Byte me!

I just about followed this and then someone one said 'Photon entaglement' (I assume you need some kind of hairbrush to untagle this photon)

1. Ashton Black

Re: Byte me!

This is uncertain, in principle.

1. annodomini2

Re: Byte me!

Waves then crumples up some old CS coursework.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Coat

@PaulAb Re: Byte me!

There are more things than hair that can become entangled.

I was thinking more along the lines of a therapist. Relationships, even at the photon level, can be messy affairs.

5. alain williams Silver badge

BBQ ?

Am I the only one who sees two components on the left hand side labelled 'BBQ' ?

I think that this is the result of too much Fosters at barbies over the Easter weekend!

1. nil0

Re: BBQ ?

Didn't get that far - was too busy wondering why they built it on a Lego board. Found myself looking around for the mini-figures to get a sense of scale.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coincidence detector fail

Ooo look there it is: "Successful operation is heralded by fourfold coincidence events between the control, target, and trigger detectors".

[A coincidence detector is an electrical device used to select whether the result of the experiment is valid or invalid. If it doesn't fire, they ignore the output of the result.]

So what you've done is create an electric Fredkin gate, you could never know the result of the gate till you've measured your coincidence detector result and decided if the experiment result is valid. Trace the logic of the invalid states and you'll see your coincidence gate won't fire. i.e. its an electrical gate.

Hence you've actually built just a bunch of wave phase interactions that emulate the logic of the Fredkin gate with an electrical detector to give you a result.

It's the same issue again and again, if you need a detector to determine a coincidence of 2 or more photons, then the information is passed by the detector, thats detecting the 2 photons. The link (entanglement) between the two+ photons is the detector.

*Every* entanglement experiment has the same fault.

e.g. Quantum Eraser:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_eraser_experiment

Simply filters the measurements at Ds for times the photon was detected at Dp via a coincidence detector. But when you put a 45 degree filter infront of Dp you are selecting 45 degrees photons into the Ds double slits, and those photons have an equal probability of passing through both slits, i.e. can create interference fringes.

The link between the Ds photon and Dp photon, is the coincidence detector selecting the subset of photons that match the case we are looking for.

It isn't that you've magically set the phase by entanglement, its that if the phase was different you would ignore the experimental result, because the coincidence detector wouldn't fire.

Same issue here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Coincidence detector fail

Perhaps I can put this in a bigger context.

This is an optical gate, circa 1982, using polarizing angles. It runs at the speed of light. With an electrical wrapper that delivers the result at the speed of electronics.

It is *not* and never will be part of a quantum computer. It does not use entanglement, it does not use superimposition. The theoretical Quantum computer running faster than light is an 'Emperors new clothes' trick. Entanglement is done with a detector to filter out only the experiments that match the desired result.

Everyone slaps 'quantum' this and 'qubit' that on their papers as a form of marketing and talks up how they're one step closer to the Quantum computer. But that's just funding talk.

7. Shaha Alam

ugg ugg, grub grub, and mruff mruff all sat round the camp fire, recounting anecdotes over a steadily roasting mastadon leg, gesticulating wildly.

ugg ugg, points to a rolling rock and draws a circular motion with his hands, attempting to explain rotational motion with a series of grunts and whistles.

grub grub seizes on his friend's discovery and draws a circular shape in the sand by his feet. 'wheeeeel', he says.

all three nod their head in unison, aware that humanity may just be on the brink of a stupendous discovery.

finally, after a long pause, mruff mruff chimes in with his brethren, "it's one step closer to a Bugatti Veyron." he says.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Me wantum quantum bugatti!

8. pyite

quantum memcopy?

Have the boffins found a way to copy qubits yet?

1. Torben Mogensen

Re: quantum memcopy?

A Fredkin gate can in theory copy qubits: Use the qubit as control and apply 0 and 1 on the two inputs. The control will be unchanged but one of the outputs will be a copy of the control (and the other will be its negation).

9. Roj Blake Silver badge

All Gates Now Available

As anyone with a basic understanding of Boolean algebra will be able to tell you, once you have AND and NOT you can make NAND, and once you have NAND you can make all other types of logic gate.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: All Gates Now Available

Including Bill Gates?

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Perhaps people should read about Friedkin gates first?

That would be here

Key feature is gates that use zero energy to compute.

Which might be quite handy given how power requirements of new processors have risen and zero design to use asynchronous design.

Is it a quantum computer?

The fact it uses quantum data carriers suggests it might be.

TBH I think quantum systems are looking better at massive parallel correlation and search problems, rather like optical systems were touted at as being good for.

The real quantum computer that takes in a "normal" (but very large) computing problem, then solves

it using quantum electronics (whatever that is) seems as far away as ever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like