back to article Code.org hole gave access to volunteers' email addresses

Code.org, the not-for-profit attempting to teach the world to code in perfect harmony, has 'fessed up to a flaw on its site that exposed volunteers' email addresses. “On Friday night we discovered and fixed an error in the Code.org site that allowed access to our volunteer email addresses,” writes CEO Hadi Partovi. “This wasn …

1. regadpellagru

A bit more than "exposed"

"The organisation learned of the hole when some of its volunteers started receiving emails offering them jobs. Those offers were sent by “a technical recruiting firm in Singapore” and volunteers wondered how the company had found their addresses."

In this case, not only have the emails been "exposed", they were also leaked. A bit more serious, then.

"One small upside is that the organisation says it doesn't store email addresses for kids under 13, the target market for the Hour of Code. So there's nothing there for hackers or recruiters to find."

How is that possible at all ? I registered to this service not long ago, and I absolutely were not presented with filling up my date of birth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A bit more than "exposed"

Are you on about the main user sign up?

I know it did for my kids and still does:

https://studio.code.org/users/sign_up

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I was a kid I used to lie about my age to get at the good stuff.

Maybe now I should be lying about my age to get superior data protection.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boys revenge

I hope this was done by one of the boys code.org tried to prevent from studying computer science by paying teachers to exclude them.

4. frank ly

" ...the email addresses it harvested."

I once harvested some pictures of my neighbours wife in their back garden. The police were called.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like