back to article Microsoft adds 'non-security updates' to security patches

Microsoft has added “non-security updates” to an Update Tuesday patch. MS16-023, billed as a “Security update for Internet Explorer” and issued on March 8, includes six “General distribution release (GDR) fixes”. Five are innocuous as they address glitches like “Empty textarea loses its closing tag in Internet Explorer 11 …

Bronze badge

I'll jump in before everybody starts to state the obvious....

This update is clearly designed to take over your PC and force a downgrade to Windows 10 whilst stealing all your personal information, sending all your money to a Nigerian generals bank account, and removing all the left socks from your drier.

Oh, it'll also lock your Windows installation into read-only mode until you commit to paying M$ $17.99 (plus taxes) a month for the next 25 years.

Mushroom

Re: I'll jump in before everybody starts to state the obvious....

Firstly; Fuck you Microsoft.

Now that that's out of the way; is there any one person surprised by this stunt? As disgusting of an act as it is, given Microsoft's recent history it was only a matter of time before they implemented adware (maybe even viral?) payloads bundled alongside "security" updates.

Experienced users (incidentally enough many of whom possess purchasing powers over corporate software licenses) were becoming more and more aware of which KB numbers to avoid on Windows Update (namely 2952664 & 3035583) and thus Microsoft needed a new strategy.

You know what though? Whatever. Yep. Whatever. I don't even get angry anymore. I just read the news, and laugh. Why? Because I know that Windows is on its final days on my PC. Microsoft has already projected to me their true colours quite a number of updates ago.

And to all the Microsoft apologists and supporters of Windows 10: look, I respect some of the technical achievements of Windows 10. I respect that it runs much better on low-end hardware than Windows 7 could ever hope to achieve. Windows 10 is certainly not without merit.

What I do NOT respect nor tolerate however is Windows 10's lack of respect for MY privacy and MY preferences. I, for one, like to only update drivers when absolutely necessary. Not every single time a silly optimization update is released for a game I do not play or feature I do not require (which then crashes my PC when I launch a web browser). Likewise, when I say that I prefer so-and-so application to open my text or even PDF files, I expect the operating system to honour my preference and to not decide that it knows better every second Tuesday of the month.

Thus, until the day there is a big AND universal "telemetry off" button (which is guaranteed to be honoured 100% of the time and never to be reset in the future for whatever reason) and until the day I can control what drivers I want on my PC, Windows 10 can install itself where the sun doesn't shine.

Oh, and did I mention? Fuck you Microsoft.

Mushroom

Oh, and one more thing. If this is how Microsoft is treating its existing customers, then everyone's going to be in for one hell of a ride with Windows 10 in the future. I would just love to see what Microsoft has planned for its Windows 10 audience in the years ahead.

I, of course, will be watching from the comfort of my RHEL install at home along with a bowl of delicious ramen to spice up the ambience.

I think the issue here is that MS doesn't see them as "existing customers"

It sees them as "past customers" and wants to change them into "existing customers" in the form of regular monthly payments.

Silver badge

I think the real point is that, with Vista and 8, Microsoft learned the hard way that users who have the choice risk exercising that choice. And that risk cost Microsoft money.

Knowing that Microsoft, despite all its money, still doesn't actually own the government, and knowing that goon squads are generally frowned on, Microsoft could not actually, physically force everyone to go to Windows 1 0. So how could Microsoft eliminate the risk ?

It's like micropayments in the pseudo "free"-to-play games. When everything is based on micropayments, you end up paying. Well Microsoft took that idea and turned it into micro-updates. Every little update is now an opportunity to shovel another way of getting the user to install Windows 1 0. And with the price point at $0, most users should logically make the jump. Except they're not, not in massive numbers anyway.

What really surprises me is that Microsoft is still so candid about it in its KB articles. I suppose that, at one point, there will be a security patch where Microsoft just says "Fuck it, Windows 1 0 is the security patch".

I'm already watching this from the side lines. Windows Update is disabled on my machine, so I can learn about the surprises like this beforehand instead of blindly walking into it and having to clean up after the fact.

Anonymous Coward

Thus, until the day there is a big AND universal "telemetry off" button (which is guaranteed to be honoured 100% of the time and never to be reset in the future for whatever reason)

Sorry too late Lost trust so even this is not Good enough for me.

1) menu on install so Telemetry is not installed from the start.

2) choice of updates when user wants with Full transparent and HONEST details of the packages. security updates ONLY include security updates, patches only include patches, "NEW" features and "UPGRADES" specifically highlighted in their own section.

3) binding Law (probably EU only im afraid) That says if they sneak a telemetry or UPGRADE, NEW features install / update in against user preferences then they get fined 10% of global profits for every month that there is any machines with that package installed AND senior Executives go to Jail for mandatory 5 Years HARD Time not some country club open prison.

Silver badge

I have had two people call me up and ask me why Windows 10 was installed on their computer. I never told them anything about Windows 10, the stink on it came from others. Windows 10 installed without their permission and since they ran a business, it cost them valuable time reverting back. Two other people told me she had a message saying that Windows 10 was going to upgrade in 30 minutes. In all 4 cases, GWX Control Panel to the rescue!

I ask people one simple question: "Why would a multi-billion dollar want, in fact demand, you take something expensive from them for free?" The people in my generation and younger still say "so what" when I ask that question, as if they have given up. They take to the streets to protest the FBI wanting to unlock an iPhone but happily turn around and give all that information to Facebook, as if one is better than the other. When I ask that question, the older generation gets it immediately. I have to tell them what Microsoft is doing, but that one question immediately makes them realize something is not right.

Silver badge

"Microsoft has added “non-security updates” to an Update Tuesday patch."

Surely an upgrade to Windows 10 is effectively a security update. Quite a big one, but it still is.

Funnily enough I actually saw a completely unrequested Win 10 install happen this morning at an office I was working in. Startled by the yells from next door I went through to be accosted by the panicked user demanding to know what I'd done to make their PC suddenly close all their applications and shut down (the guy was actually sending someone a message on his phone when it happened so it wasn't even a stray keypress that authorised it.)

I guessed what had happened but was obviously too late to stop the process, but spent the time waiting for the install to complete going round installing the invaluable GWX control panel on the rest of the PCs in the office.

The cost to businesses across the world of dealing with these unwanted downgrades to Windows 10 must be phenomenal, MS ought to have been prosecuted for their behaviour long before now.

Bronze badge
Pint

@Aniya

Yew fergot "Feck off Microshhafft".

Father Jack.

Silver badge

> Surely an upgrade to Windows 10 is effectively a security update.

Yes it is. But it is only a 'security update' to the security of Microsoft's future revenue streams*.

* which is, as yet, undeclared fully. It does involve MS moving to extract 30% from 3rd party software sales by converting all software to 'app store' sales. It may also require subscriptions for Microsoft Accounts and/or for future updates and/or for Azure storage and/or Office 360.

Anonymous Coward

"It sees them as "past customers" and wants to change them into "existing customers" in the form of regular monthly payments."

It sees them as "past customers" and wants to change them into "product" in the form of regular monthly payments. and leveraging revenue streams from telemetry data.

TFTFY

I ran into this today as well, countdown timers that windows would NOT allow them to abort. I also concur about GWX Control Panel, it saved the day for me on multiple machines today.

One of them was only a couple of blocks away so I walked over. Sure enough, even if I ended the task with task manager it automatically restarted. It would let me schedule the upgrade any time within the next 72 hours, or start immediately, but explicitly stated "once you set a time it cannot be changed".

It would NOT let me abort, it would NOT let me check for windows updates. My solution was to go into installed updates, remove KB3139929, let it reboot (which didn't do the install), then use GWX Control Panel to turn it off.

Funny you mention this my buddy had to go on a work trip this week left his PC on came back today to find windows 10 installed cause he had auto apply updates enabled. Now he is backing up his data to upgrade back to windows 7.

Linux

But Microsoft says "Since launching Windows 10, our number-one customer support request has been “how do I get my upgrade"! What a pile of BS. My only question since Win10 launched has been "Which updates to I need to hide/uninstall on the Windows machines that I have to use?"!

WTF?

It is fucking worse than I imagined. In the past patch tuesday all the updates, with the exception of defender, had to do with telemetry and 10. I hid them all. As I have updates set to install when I tell them to, I kinda expected that to happen. HELL NO. Just now windows installed 16 damned updates including, of course, the lovely and talented Get Windows 10 with absolutely no input from me. What is utterly mindless about this is that I cannot install 10 even if I wanted to. There's a video driver cock-up that will cause it to fail. I am sick of this shit. Microsoft is now apparently of a mind that IT, NOT YOU, is in control of your machine.

Linux

I just wanted to repeat my motivation for ditching M$ and embracing FOSS and Linux for as much as my work as possible.

The last time I booted a piece of hardware with Windows (vista - stop laughing), I deliberately disconnected the network cable so that no "phoning home" was possible. I kept bypassing the "you need a network connection" box, until it finished installing and left me with a login box (I set the only user as admin).

I logged in and was deposited at a desktop with nothing on it apart from a logout button.

Depending on what state of denial you are in (and I guess we are all in some degree of removal from reality...), you might think this recent spike in paranoia.

I encourage everyone who *can* change, to try anyone of the many FOSS environments. If necessary keep a virtual Windoze on a leash.

Just remember it is illegal (wtf?) for Microsoft to disclose if there are backdoors in Windows.

And yes a modicum of paranoia suggests this is a pretty big one.....

P.

You don't get angry but you start and finish with angry expletives so another one of many on here who is clueless

Re: Its all Hype the histeria is hilarious

If they run a Business and they haven't got control over what upgrades or installs on there system then I would question there IT department as it sounds very poor, we have 2000 windows 7 PC's and none have auto updated to windows 7 sounds like they might be using the wrong licence. On another note we have more or less completed testing and shall be doing a controlled upgrade to Windows 10 later this year. I really don't know what all the fuss is about its notifications not Ads IE and windows 10 both belong to Microsoft how and where the push them notifications is irrelevant . If people are that worried about personnel information and what businesses can and cant do then they would not be using social media sites which I can guarantee that all the people on here who are spitting there dummies out of the pram are. They will have given out far more information than Microsoft collects that's for sure and those social media sites use it for whatever purpose they choose.

Fuck you Microsoft for upgrading my Windows Old to Windows 10 for free. Fuck you Google for giving me free Android updates om my Nexus Phone. Fuck you Apple for giving me free iOS and OS X updated on my Apple devices. There!

Silver badge

Re: Its all Hype the histeria is hilarious @mswin10

Yes but people are using social media by choice for free and have some control over what goes on there, versus having your pc with software you bought upgrading to something that sends all your info to MS.

Silver badge

@TheVogon - an update to W10 is effectively a security upgrade

So's an upgrade to Linux, or DOS 1.0 for that matter - DOS 1.0 is immune to all exploits and malware on a typical modern PC that lacks a floppy drive so if you're concerned about security look no further!

Anonymous Coward

Surely an upgrade to Windows 10 is effectively a security update.

Only if your definition of "security" has been supplied by Microsoft, which is not really the best source.

As I stated before, I now actually regret (well, for a moment) leaving the whole Microsoft circus behind because I would have had *serious* fun with an uncontrolled upgrade to Windows 10.

I *would* have taken that into court as a criminal act of computer vandalism and as I have lectured enough lawyers over the last few months that I am sure I could get a few to entertain themselves with that one.

Let's be absolutely, crystal clear here: installing Windows 10 without explicit permission of the user is an actionable criminal offence.

It's not complicated, it's very much binary. With permission: OK. Without permission: criminal.

Of course, Microsoft UK will be immediately on the phone to its friends in government to somehow get that dealt with, but that's politics, not law, and that may (hopefully) backfire spectacularly if the press gets wind of it

Anonymous Coward

Re: Its all Hype the histeria is hilarious

If they run a Business and they haven't got control over what upgrades or installs on there system then I would question there IT department as it sounds very poor

Big business, sure, but especially the SMEs which have maybe 10 machines or so do not have those resources, yet they have to fight this sh*t as well.

I'd send the f*ckers the bill for recovery and serve them a Statutory Demand to lock their doors for business if they didn't pay up. I'm sure I'd easily get that above £750 just on labour alone.

This must end. Painfully.

Anonymous Coward

Fuck you Microsoft for upgrading my Windows Old to Windows 10 for free. Fuck you Google for giving me free Android updates om my Nexus Phone. Fuck you Apple for giving me free iOS and OS X updated on my Apple devices. There!

Fuck you for joining just to spout this sort of BS.

- Windows Old means something that works. Windows 10 is a whole new fight to keep secure and prevent data theft by Microsoft.

- Google's services are NEVER free - you pay with data about your life, and you pay by allowing Google to spy on others by reading the email they send you.

- Apple's platforms are paid for by their hardware and the fact that you get locked in to their services, but at least they put some effort in to make it relatively safe. It's just a swine to hook it up to a Linux server via SMB and NFS, not quite sure why but I don't need it right now.

"Free" is make believe, or did you really think these companies make a profit out of thin air?

Anonymous Coward

"installing Windows 10 without explicit permission of the user is an actionable criminal offence."

But how can it be criminal, it was in the EULA. The one in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Snow Leopard'.

Silver badge

The difference between getting Android updates on Nexus or iOS updates on iPhone, and getting Windows 10 updates on your Windows 7 PC is that only Microsoft is trying to trick you to taking the upgrade and constantly pushing it in your face.

I don't know exactly how it works on Android, but on iOS when a new update becomes available the phone will download it in the background and then put up a notification telling you it is available and giving you the option of updating. If you reject it, it never asks again (until an even newer version comes along and is downloaded and ready) Unless that little red '1' in the Settings icon REALLY bothers you, Apple never hassles you to upgrade, doesn't keep asking, and doesn't insert ads into Safari hoping you'll accidentally click one and begin the upgrade process. Microsoft is doing all those things, and is even actively sabotaging software people have designed to try to shut off the constant nagging about Windows 10.

If they had an update that presented you with the Windows 10 upgrade option and it gave you three options "Upgrade Now", "Ask me later", "Don't ask me again", and it honored the latter choice, and asked "are you sure" for the first choice no one would have any problem with what Microsoft is doing. Yeah Windows 10 is a data collection machine, but on the other hand it is free so I'd say fair play to them if that's how they decided to they wanted to collect their revenue in the future. I just want to be left alone to run Windows 7 without hassle if that's my choice.

It must gall Microsoft that they've made Windows 10 available to the 85% or so of the world's Windows userbase that is running 7, 8, or 8.1 and yet Windows 10 is only installed on about 12% of the world's PCs despite all the nagging, while iOS 9 is available to about 95% of iPhones and it hit 12% in 24 hours and was installed on 60% of all iPhones in a month!

Silver badge

The difference between getting Android updates on Nexus or iOS updates on iPhone, and getting Windows 10 updates on your Windows 7 PC is that only Microsoft is trying to trick you to taking the upgrade and constantly pushing it in your face.

It's worse than that, DougS. Imagine your business is sign-cutting and there's no w10 driver for your sign-cutter. W10 could be the latest and greatest since sliced bread, but it's as useless as tits on a bull if it won't let you conduct your business. And for those ranting about the EULA, there's nowhere it states that MS have the right to put you out of business, or stop your TV from working for that matter.

Unscrupulous Microserfs are likely rubbing their hands with glee at this situation. Revert offending w10 install to w7 and wait for the inevitable. W7 becomes stuck at 95-98% cpu usage after new patch. Seen this three times now and I'm retired.

No Linux driver for the sign-cutter (nothing new there) so what's a scrupulous support dude to do?

Revert to WinXP for the sign-cutter and purchase a refurb machine from Dell to run Cinnamon Mint and access Internet etc. Cheaper than a new sign-cutter!

Anonymous Coward

Come on you MS Fans lets have a rational explantion for this one

As many PC users thingk IE is the Internet, this will shove the 'Come to the wonderful world of Windows 10' right down their faces.

IMHO, this is no different from a Drug pusher getting you to try the latest highly addictive junk.

for the rest of us, we will just add another nail to the coffin that is Windows 10 on our systems. No Way, never no etc etc.

Redmond must be getting desparate. Rather sad really. Can we have Balmer back please?

Anonymous Coward

"we will just add another nail to the coffin"

Not me. I realised that the coffin was becoming more metal than wood, therefore not structurally sound. So I bent all my nails and fashioned a chain out of them.

Windows 10 (and Microsoft along with it) are now in a sack, wrapped in chains, at the bottom of an abandoned, flooded quarry.

I might through a few rocks in, though. Just in case.

Silver badge

@AC

Well, I consider myself a Windows (7) fan but even I don't appreciate all this. Here's my problem: I paid solid money for Windows 7 (my PC got shipped with Home Premium, I upgraded it manually to Professional), and when I bought it I was told that it would be supported until 2018 at least.

So what I want is my moneys worth: support until its EOL. And that doesn't include a forced (and hidden) upgrade to Windows 10 just because they claim it is better. I know it's not.

My problem: If Microsoft is already so untrustworthy that they'll try to sneak their way out of providing me the experience I paid for, then what guarantees do I have that this won't happen more often in the future? Especially considering how much Win10 relies on Microsoft (app store anyone?).

If they push any further then I might even go as far as to consider Apple. I still think their products are overpriced, but as far as I know they don't try to force upgrades down your throat like this. And most of the software I use professionally has versions available for both Win and Mac.

Better thread lightly Microsoft. Because I'm pretty sure that if I start to toy with the whole idea then there are bound to be many others like me. And that would get you the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve here...

Silver badge

Re: "we will just add another nail to the coffin"

Not me. I realised that the coffin was becoming more metal than wood, therefore not structurally sound. So I bent all my nails and fashioned a chain out of them.

Windows 10 (and Microsoft along with it) are now in a sack, wrapped in chains, at the bottom of an abandoned, flooded quarry.

I might through a few rocks in, though. Just in case.

I'd get some garlic, a cross, some stakes and a sliver bullet just in case.

Seriously.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC

[...] I might even go as far as to consider Apple."

One of the users I support is getting very fed up with the W10 prompts. I gave her the GWX 10 protection widget - but she wants to be assured it won't mess up her W8 system. As I run W7 then I always have to hedge on such assurances.

She was pretty het up tonight after I warned her about the IE11 update that has slipped through. She says that if W10 forces itself onto her PC then she'll go and buy an Apple as a replacement. I pity the MS support person who gets her call on Monday when she asks how she can stop the W10 nags and upgrades. She doesn't take no for an answer.

Re: @ShelLuser

Yea MS better tread lightly cause if say steam machines pick up, and more companies release Linux versions of their games MS might lose a significant market share which is the gamers.

Pretty much everyone I know who uses Windows would switch to Linux if the games we played would work on it, but MS still has a stranglehold on that for the most part.

Re: "we will just add another nail to the coffin"

And Holy Water, don't forget the Holy Water.

Anonymous Coward

They will just say go get an Apple then when she realises she cannot do anything then she will be back

Anonymous Coward

"[...] then when she realises she cannot do anything then she will be back"

Her husband has had Apple Macs for many years - so she knows they will do what she needs. When she was a programmer - Windows was her IT employer's staple PC system. Like many of us - using Windows at home seemed a sensible option.

Anonymous Coward

Better thread lightly Microsoft. Because I'm pretty sure that if I start to toy with the whole idea then there are bound to be many others like me. And that would get you the exact opposite of what you're trying to achieve here...

Reached that point about 5..6 years ago. Not that I'm 100% ecstatic about moving to OSX and Linux, but given the amount of work we saved in keeping up with patching, licensing and general BS and the lack of crashes I think we've taken the right decision.

So, Microsoft, "ve fart in yur general direction" (imagine fake French accent)

Dear Windows

Fuck Off

Please

Thanks

Silver badge

Dear Windows 10

Fuck Off

Please

Thanks

TFTFY

Silver badge

Dear Windows 10

Fuck Off

Please

Thanks

TFTFY

Refixed it for you. No need to be polite as this is now farkin' war.

RE: “giving users a reason to distrust....Windows Update”

No matter, if your running Win10 below the Enterprise level - they don't need your trust because they don't need your permission to install whatever updates they like.

Pray they don't alter the deal further, or don't bother you'll likely never know if they do.

Silver badge

As many PC users think IE is the Internet...

Anyone who thinks IE "is the internet" probably should switch to Win10 anyway. It is at the forefront of MSFT security patching and has the longest likely future lifespan. Such a person is at way more risk from specialist malware than anything MSFT is accused of doing. They'll also learn that IE isn't "the internet" when they meet Edge.

Anyone else probably isn't going to be swayed either way and probably doesn't use IE in any case.

I mostly use Linux. Of the eight Windows machines I have, all upgraded fine to Win10 except the three I keep on 8.1, 7 and XP deliberately because I need them to test software on. 8.1 is easily the most problematic.

Megaphone

Re: As many PC users think IE is the Internet...

The clueless majority believe that "Windows is essential to computers" and "Windows came free with my computer".

Sadly, like Socialism, such fundamental stupidity is difficult to eradicate. No amount of explaining, cajoling, educating and malware infestations will change this in the near future. When MS engage the second part of their new "business model" - charging per use for software and charging per day for their "operating system" - a few people will start to realise that they've been taken.

It really is going to be fun when MS start charging.....

Bronze badge

Wow.... Really. You complain about socialism being stupid and then complain about MS wanting to charge daily for use of their OS. What is it? You like the free market or you don't. You hate Socialism or don't? I really hope you don't use any type of Linux - one of the most socialist things in IT!

Silver badge

Rather than the supercilious attitude of suggesting that everyone that doesn't do it your way is a moron, it is time to realise that people who spend 8 hours a day working on a windows PC for their job, are familiar with Windows and applications, so they want windows at home too. They don't actually give a shit about how their PC works, they just want to run their browser and their applications.

When windows disappears from their 8 hours a day work desktop, then it will disappear from home too.

People advocating Linux adoption would win a lot more friends if they dropped the holier-than-thou approach, because simple human nature leads people to dig their heels in when they are being derided by a sanctimonious, patronising twat slinging words like "stupidity" and "clueless" at them.

Don't you "comic-book guy from the Simpsons" stereotypes realise that you are holding Linux back?

Linux

You're just jealous that I just upgraded my OS for free, for the 16th time in a row, and it went really smoothly.

Cyber-socialism FTW

One cannot have a free market with a monopolist.

Silver badge

There hasn't been a monopoly on the desktop since Apple went Intel. No-one is stopping you driving a Ford Cortina or a Sierra, but Ford quite sensibly won't sell you one and your safety will be compromised by modern standards. It's a Mondeo v5 or nothing (from Ford).

Bronze badge

"One cannot have a free market with a monopolist."

Surely - in an admittedly over simplistic view - a monopoly is sometimes going to be the end of a free market if a free market is many people starting with similar products? All partakers in a capitalist free market desire to be monopolies don't they, if they want to make more money than others and have more customers?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017