back to article A glass of soda-and-lime is the straight dope for graphene

Researchers from the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) in the United States have turned up an unexpected property of common glass: it makes a good substrate for graphene-based electronics in applications like solar cells and touch-screens. While graphene has had “wonder-material” status for a few years now, it's difficult …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"That's odd, ..."

Well I'll be f---ing damned. (Truth there.) Nature never fails to surprise.

2. Michael Thibault
    Pint

Cheers!

What you're looking for is always in the last place you look.

Bottom's up!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: Cheers!

"What you're looking for is always in the last place you look."

Of course it is! If you have found what you are looking for, why would you carry on looking*?

*unless what you are looking for is the bottom of your beer glass of course. In that scenario there is plenty of cause to repeat the experiment as many times as required.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cheers!

I always look one more place after I find something just in case I was looking for something else.

Then again maybe that just a side effect of age and way to many years staring at screens.

3. Alister

While graphene has had “wonder-material” status for a few years now, it's difficult to fabricate, because you have to deposit layers of carbon one or two atoms thick.

Um, no, if it's got more than one layer of atoms, then what you've got there is graphite.

It's only graphene if it is a single layer of atoms bonded in one dimension, as I understand it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm, I think you mean a single layer of atoms bonded in two dimensions but other than that yes, if it's more than one layer it's not graphene. I suspect that properly doped n-layer graphite (where n is small) might have some interesting properties but considering how hard it is to dope a single layer moving to multiple layers is a job for tomorrow.

2. mosw

What makes it graphene is the 2 dimensional nature of the bonding. You can have multiple layers of graphene so long as the carbon in each layer only bonds to other carbon atoms in the same layer. Once formed I assume graphene is stable at room temperature so you should be able to lay it down in layers without it turning into graphite.

4. Ragequit
    Joke

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But this has nothing to do with the manufacture of graphene itself. This just expands its applications and further explores its properties. Got me excited to think they had a way to manufacture graphene in volume.

If only we could 2d print this stuff.

5. Alan Bourke

I notice there is a layer of CIGS

Is there a cadre of white-coated scientists tasked with ripping up Bensons for research purposes?

1. Kurt Meyer

Re: I notice there is a layer of CIGS

Alan, you are not alone.

I'd answer your question regarding white-coated scientists, but I need to step outside for a brief air-quality survey.

6. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Joke

Sir

Can't we just stuff a load of the bitty things between two very flat surfaces and press them together?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So in theory, every ordinary glass window in a house or office block could be coated with graphene to make a low cost solar cell ?

How many gigatonnes of carbon do we pump into the atmosphere daily ?

I'm sure there's a connection here

1. Anonymous Coward
  8. Stevie

Bah!

"Holes". Gotta love electical engineers. They invent anon-existant charge carrier to explain stuff instead of just using perfectly good electrons to do the job.

They use imaginary numbers to explain stuff like alternators too. How can you trust people like that?

Square root of minus one indeed.

1. Stevie

Re: Bah!

"electical" engineers. "Anon" charge carriers. That's what you get for typing with the iPad soft keyboard while riding the Long Island Rail Road (used by Quinn-Martin to film the action sequences for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea).

Rockin' rollin' riding.

Sorry lads and lassies.

2. MT Field

Complex numbers.

And that would be j

3. Uffish

It's the cumulative effect of all the irrational numbers they have to deal with

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like