back to article If you're going to protect people's privacy, protect our profits, too – US broadband biz to FCC

Groups representing telcos, cable operators, and wireless carriers are pressing the FCC on its plans for privacy protections in the US. In an open letter [PDF] to the regulator's boss Tom Wheeler, the groups ask that the FCC consider "balancing" the business considerations of service providers with user privacy rights. "If …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> telcos, cable operators, and wireless carriers

FFS, we *pay* for their services.

I don't think it's too much to ask that they don't fuck us up the arse as well.

The same whiners moaned a bucketful when PVRs started appearing and commercial skipping became a thing. Fair enough, if you're getting free, over-the-air signals, I can see the argument. But cable TV is not cheap. With the likes of Netflix et all, I think we can safely say goodbye (and don't let the door hit you on the way out) to commercials during programming.

Here's a good suggestion to them all: give us a service that we want and that we can afford and profit...and let that be sufficient.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"Netflix et all, I think we can safely say goodbye to commercials during programming."

Hahhahahahahahahahaha

Wait.

2. Stew282

You appear to have used the words "profit" and "sufficient" in the same sentence. That isn't going to parse with any Telco or media supplier.

1. Triggerfish

Oh I dunno, "isn't" between those words sums up the general attitude of most.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having your cake and eating it

"...we encourage you to develop a framework that offers consumers robust privacy protection, while at the same time allowing broadband providers to continue to innovate and compete..."

I wish someone of note would robustly point out every time this drivel is floated that you cannot have both. Pushing the flawed notion that you can is nothing but a land grab. If this lot are squealing in pain, someone must be doing something right.

"Innovate" is in danger of becoming shorthand for "ripoff".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Having your cake and eating it

"I wish someone of note would robustly point out every time this drivel is floated that you cannot have both."

Of course you can have both. The ISPs can compete in all sorts of things and innovate in any number of ways if they only stop to think about what those words mean in full instead being blinded by Google and Facebook who's only model is to monetize their users privacy.

They could innovate by introducing decent customer service and compete with better quality of service, just for starters. Oh, wait. We don't have a bullshit icon. These people wouldn't know innovation if it was given to them as an enema.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Citing the "success" of the FTC with consumers begs the question. If it's even remotely successful, why would the FCC see the need for more regulation?

1. tom dial Silver badge

The FCC is an agency set up to make and enforce rules. That is the obvious and almost certainly correct answer to the question "why would the FCC see the need for more regulation?"

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Puzzled

Just when did the notion arise that businesses need their profits protected? The buggy whip makers lost that argument, so why are the telcos thinking they don't need to run their own affairs properly?

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: Puzzled

Would we then apply that same line of reasoning to Amazon v. Publishers and bookstore owners?

Just asking.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Puzzled

Although I agree and have upvoted you, there is a difference. The buggy whip makers were out-competed, not out-regulated. But having said that, I'm not sure which regulations are standing in the way of fairly won profits for the cablecos/telcos.

5. Lysenko

Ridiculous

The Telcos/ISPs have huge scope to innovate simply by knowing who I am and what TCP/IP endpoints I'm connecting to. If I'm connecting to Nest servers I'm probably into home automation; NASA and ESA then I'm probably a Geek; Ashley Madison and I'm probably an untrustworthy tosser.

There can't be a "privacy" jihad against correlating that because it is information the carrier MUST have to do the job we pay them to do. Innovatively mine it, profile it, extrapolate it and then use it to pump more targeted ads directly to dev/null (my ad blockers are probably more aggressively thorough than my virus scanners - sorry about that).

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Ridiculous

"it is information the carrier MUST have to do the job we pay them to do"

They must have it *transiently* but they don't need to keep it. Keeping it costs more. Also, the "it" that they must read to do their job is the destination address. Reading the source address is not necessary to do their job, even on a metered connection.

The plea here is pretty obviously "we want to data mine the crap out of our customers". By doing so, the ISPs presumably *are* able to reduce the price to the "customer" (because by the old adage the customer has become a product that they can sell on to another customer). One possible way to resolve this is to allow ISPs to do this if their customer agrees, but compel ISPs to offer a "privacy protected" product where they aren't allowed to do this, and to further compel ISPs to demonstrate in their accounts that the price difference between those two products corresponds to some reasonable fraction (50% ?) of the money they get by selling on the information. In other words, you can data-mine the crap out of me as long as I get 50%. (I still won't take you up on that, but I'm sure others would.)

6. earl grey
    Flame

there is NO privacy

And the FTC doesn't really give a rats arse about it else there would be regulations in place that ANYONE who collected information on you had to notify you of WHAT information they had and give you the option to opt out of collection and to have all the information positively deleted.

Not happened yet? Ain't likely either.

7. Mark 85

ISPs will police themselves ????

The carrier and cable groups, on the other side of the debate, want the commission to take a more hands-off approach, with the belief that ISPs will police themselves when handling customer data.

Hahahahahahaha...... yeah... and bears will stay out of the woods also.

1. mhenriday
      Pint

Re: ISPs will police themselves ????

But, Mark 85 - it's not about bears staying out of the woods, but rather about them not shitting quite so much there or at least cleaning up afterwards (bear bags would, of course, have to be somewhat larger than the ones used by dog owners to clean up after their pets)....

Henri

8. Tikimon
    FAIL

Protect our stupid business model? WTF FOR?

This reminds me of telemarketers. They rang us up all day every day to push unwanted phone SPAM and made us wish we didn't have a telephone. They actively targeted dinner time, no less.

We the public pushed back hard and demanded a Do-Not-Call list to opt out of this invasive onslaught, delivered over a service WE were paying for. And what happened? Pitiful crying and wailing from the telemarketers about how their poor business model was being destroyed! WAAAAH!

This is the exact same situation. Bugger their asinine business model. It's like muggers and burglars demanding laws against such be repealed lest they lose their jobs!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all pointless

Since the FCC and FTC don't enforce any U.S. consumer laws, don't issue cease and desist orders to cable companies who violate law, do not prosecute said companies when provided with irrefutable proof of violations of law, it's all pointless because the FCC and FTC refuse to perform their sworn duties to protect consumers from illegal and unethical business practices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's all pointless

Not at all. It is very useful theater, much like the SEC and the financial markets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like