back to article Actifio CEO talks about growth, quietly sacks bunch of staff

Copy data reduction startup Actifio has laid off some staff, the fifth storage startup we've heard about this month to do so. We heard about a RIF of 10 – 15 per cent of the company, with sales, professional services and engineering affected, and more than 40 people affected overall. On being asked about this, co-founder and …

1. AndyS

>Let's just remind ourselves that this is people's livelihoods we're talking about, and people can't grow faster than companies unless management hires people it later doesn't need or hires the wrong people.

Well said. The canned bullshit sounds suspiciously like they are trying to blame the people for being there. At least have a bit of respect and gravity if you're letting people go.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who's not cutting back?

You found just 5 companies reducing staff? I can list at least 50 in the Bay Area. Every tech startup has been reducing staff. Just look around.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actifio truly took care

I was one of those let go by Actifio. While I was disappointed, I really respected that they went out of their way to find another place of employment simultaneously and I was back to working next Monday. I know of others who also had the same experience. The Actifio management team cares deeply and I would work for them again in a heartbeat.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to put your big boy pants on and show sustaianable profit!

With the IPO window slammed shut and the previously free flowing VC faucet now on a slow drip (with lower valuations and only if you give them preferred shares over employee options) the days of growth at all costs are over. Actifio made a difficult but smart decision to focus on cash flow and profitability for the immediate future to be a self-sustaining company. Other more recent start-ups will be in dire-straits as they burn tons of cash to try to develop a product and build out a field and support organization. This bubble is bursting and it will happen fast. It is unfortunate since most of the innovation in the storage industry comes from start-ups but this innovation cycle has run it’s course. Prepare for a wave of acquisitions for the lucky few that are in the black or have a very unique offering and a round of layoffs and bankruptcy's for the rest in red. Like it or not the party’s over for start ups and only the profitable will survive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like