back to article That's cute, Germany – China shows the world how fusion is done

Days after the German chancellor triggered the creation of hydrogen plasma for less than a second, China has announced that one of its fusion reactors has broken the record for plasma creation. On Friday the Chinese Academy of Sciences announced that its boffins had created the 98-second plasma burn in its Experimental …

Page:

1. RIBrsiq
    Facepalm

"the outer atmosphere of the sun is much, much hotter [than the sun's core or EAST's plasma. Context is unclear]".

No, it isn't:

http://nmp.jpl.nasa.gov/st5/SCIENCE/sun.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

No, it isn't:

OOhhhhhh yes it is!

There's a secret cooling system designed by aliens, and that means that the interior is kept cool from those high surface temperatures during the 4 billion year operating life of the sun. Mind you, the warranty ran out after the first billion years, and we've lost the maker's number.

1. Bakana

"and we've lost the maker's number."

No we haven't. The number is 42.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lol science literature that uses Fahrenheit.

1. schlechtj

Farenheit

And they forgot to add 32....

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: RIBrsiq

I've tweaked the article. Please, in future, email corrections@theregister.co.uk if you spot anything wrong. If you'd done so, this article could have been fixed 14 hours ago.

C.

1. JosephEngels

Thats a bit rich.

As a journalist writing an article, you are supposed to get it right in the first place. If someone points out an error, then you should be grateful. Whining that they didn't email you about it, when they are under no obligation to do so, is a bit rich ... especially as you got paid to write it, and they have (by consuming your adverts) paid to read it ...

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

It would be nice if authors could be bothered to reply "thanks mate" after I've gone to the effort of using the Tips & Corrections link. Usually I don't get any indication of whether it has even been read, and that makes me less inclined to use the link in the future.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: RIBrsiq & thanks

Oh, well, YMMV, I guess, but that's not my experience, I often get an ack. Tips and corrections are the right way to go, I think, unless you want to discuss large-scale problems with an article.

2. Red Bren
        Trollface

We come here for the articles, but we stay for the pedantry!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

Yeah, why slip the author a tip and save him some grief when you can pounce on his blooper instead? The temptation is just too great. Lord knows I've tried to resist...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Speaking of pedantry, I'm puzzled by comparisons that state one temperature (50C) is more than three times another (15C). Why is that an interesting statement? It seems less arbitrary to me to say it is about 16% hotter. For whatever that is worth.

3. DropBear

As long as corrections require me to conjure up some means to write an email from an address I never, ever actually send anything from (strictly used for logins only) instead of using my logged-in profile with some simple feedback form, It Ain't Gonna Happen.

4. GhostSeven

Snippy little response for someone who pointed out a mistake in the article you were paid to write. Got out of the wrong side of the bed or are you just a dick?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Facepalm

FYI, for all you bashers - Iain Thompson != Diodesign

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes yes yes. What I want to know: who pushed the button?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Presumably Trump --->

1. davidp231

Shirley you mean "Tlump"?

1. Crazy Operations Guy
          Joke

Get your racist stereotypes straight people. Japan is the one that confuses r and L; China is the one that pluralizes singular words and uses the singular for plural words...

If you're going to be a little racist, at least do it right, sheez...

1. DropBear
            Joke

Naaah, if we start on stereotypes, we'd probably need to talk about "Golden Fortunate Dragon of Radiant Success and Joyous Fulfilment Fusion Facility"...

3. petur

Soon...

We will be copying Chinese designs... gulp

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Soon...

George went begging to the Chinese who will now build a reactor of their own design at Bradwell in Essex.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/21/george-osborne-chinese-nuclear-power-station-bradwell-essex

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Those cynical amongst us might think that Chinese reactors placed strategically around Europe could be their version of Trident.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Nah, Chinese Restaurants alone are sufficient for that.

1. Mark 85
          Devil

Nah, Chinese Restaurants alone are sufficient for that.

But some think they're only dangerous to cats and dogs.... maybe rats also.

Almost obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOy2QCssTaI

2. Ali Um Bongo
        Facepalm

*"..Those cynical amongst us might think that Chinese reactors placed strategically around Europe could be their version of Trident..."*

They... are... not... your... enemy.. just... because... Uncle... Sam.... wants... you... to... fear... anyone... who... is... an... economic... rival... to... him...

Come on. You can do this. Try really hard. Fight it. You can form your own opinions if you really really try.

1. eesiginfo

Oh!

So it's not true about those 5 booksellers going missing in Hong Kong?

2. Fibbles

Re: Not your enemy

Not our friends either though.

1. BasicChimpTheory

@Fibbles

Surely that is up to us (at least in part)?

2. Tom 7

Under the neo-capitalist approach everyone is your enemy - especially the consumer.

1. Green Nigel 42

Why do I immediately think of Apple when I read that!

3. Steve 114

Not since we insisted on destroying their population with opium imports, and attacked their culture with missionaries. Long memories.

1. Schlimnitz

OOOH, shut up, you're going to annoy me. Unless you're also against "attacking their culture" with human rights...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

And I'm pretty sure, Mao, for all his faults, didn't regard killing his own population as his *main* strategy for success .....

4. NotBob

Maxim 29: The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more, no less.

1. Red Bren
              Mushroom

@NotBob

Do you have a handy Maxim for the situation in Syria? Let's see now,

"My enemy's enemy is my enemy"

"My friend's friend is my enemy"

"My friend's enemy is my friend"

"Anyone wanting to buy my weapons and sell me cheap oil is my friend!"

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

> Do you have a handy Maxim for the situation in Syria?

We're all friends. We just get a bit argumentative sometimes.

3. Steve Crook

"Come on. You can do this. Try really hard. Fight it. You can form your own opinions if you really really try."

It is actually possible to be suspicious of the motivations of the Chinese without being remote controlled by the US...

The Chinese have always taken an admirably long term view of things and are, generally, more inclined to tunnel under walls than engage in frontal assaults. Unlike the US. But they'll still do anything and everything to protect their interests, just the same way the UK did when it had clout. It's why they're making islands and putting military bases on them...

Can't help remember what the 'friends of China' said when there was opposition to China hosting the Olympics. 'It'll be a boost towards sorting out human rights issues and help make China more open'. Hows that working out guys? Thought so...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> The Chinese have always taken an admirably long term view of things and are, generally, more inclined to tunnel under walls than engage in frontal assaults.

Or in the case of invading Russia, they would do it by discreet infiltration of small groups of one to two million people.

4. NomNomNom

The red communist Chinese threat must be met with increased paranoia and nationalism. At all costs!

1. herman

...and the best way to oppose China is to buy all the commercial junk they produce, to keep them distracted from producing military hardware instead.

5. Martin Summers Silver badge

@Ali

I'm British, my opinions are in no way informed by the US. I also said "those cynical amongst us" in my opening words. What I've said is not beyond the realms of possibility it also may not be true at all. I would like to think not. I would also like to keep an open mind when it comes to forming my opinions thanks very much!

I'm not keen on China's human rights record as can be seen from my previous comments related to China and for that reason do tend to have what I feel is a reasonable distrust.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"I'm not keen on China's human rights record "

Well, have you seen the west's records on Human rights? Its not that much better... How is China's suppression of the Tibetan people all that worse than the British Raj? Or the USA's Trail of Tears, or France and their persecution of the Buddhists in Vietnam? Dutch colonies in Africa,Spain/Portugal in Central/South America... Then there was all the shit from WW1 and WW2, the proxy wars during the cold war...

In a purely objective point-of-view, China has performed slightly fewer atrocities per capita than the "west" or any other country that has found itself in the position of being more powerful than any other country. By no means am I defend China for their actions, I'm just simply pointing out that no country can claim to smell better than any other when we've all been rolling around in shit.

1. elDog

@Crazy - a great set of counterpoints. Unfortunately the US in large (politicians, populace) don't care about history, especially when in contradicts their biases and schooling. Do you know of a nice site that lists atrocities by country, by year/period? Sounds like the US would have several hot-spots.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"Do you know of a nice site that lists atrocities by country, by year/period?"

No, but I'm sure there is one. If not, it really should be built... Might take a while to put together given the mass amount of terrible things we humans have done to each other. But then governments tend to cover those kinds of things up pretty well.

In all my research, it seems that the only place that hasn't committed a horrible war crime in the past century is Antarctica. I wonder if there is an opening for an IT guy at McMurdo...

1. Bakana

So, are you proposing an "Atrocities Only" version of Wikipedia?

Because I suspect it would require almost as many resources as Wikipedia to hold it all.

2. Mage Silver badge

We hid it so the Aliens wouldn't know what we are like until after we sign the treaties.

3. herman

Yeah, but it is very difficult to outdo the European atrocities. Blokes like Napoleon, Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Lenin and Stalin were really special.

1. ponga

Perhaps you should read up on those happy-fun-times of, say, the Mongol conquests, the An Lushan rebellion, and the second Sino-Japanese war? Sorry, mate, us Europeans ain't all that special.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>In a purely objective point-of-view, China has performed slightly fewer atrocities per capita than the "west"

Assuming you forget about The Great Leap Forward - estimates vary from 45 to 80 million deaths in just over 2 years - which puts them easily at the top spot.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like