back to article Hyper-converged softie biz Atlantis axes staff

Hyper-converged software supplier Atlantis has cut its staff numbers. This follows on from Panasas and Tegile trimming their head counts last week. Atlantis supplies software that started out using DRAM caching to accelerate virtual desktop instances in its ILIO product. This code evolved into its USX form to accelerate any …

1. a_yank_lurker

Horse Sense!

"'growth at all costs' is not tenable" - This guy seems to have a clue. Companies exist to make money for the owners by providing a service/product that others value. He must not have an MBA because he seems to make sense.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Horse Sense!

A clue (or two) he might have, but if his business is "well on its way to achieving profitability” he still has some work to do on the 'making money for the owners ' bit.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“We had hired 60 new people in the past few months. These changes are in the normal course of running our business which is well on its way to achieving profitability."

And those 60 are thinking what now? Naively carried on recruiting even though the numbers aren't there.

3 years at least away from making a profit, FY extended a month to try and produce respectable numbers, hit expectations?, Hyperscale needs help on every deal, not scaleable, Nutanix laughing all the way to IPO. lay offs in 2014, lay offs now, pattern developing?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

did they even sell one?

Outside of that mock up box they took pictures of, had anyone actually seen one of these boxes?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love

the Nutanix trolls above. Going by recent wins, we are making life too difficult for you, aren't we :)

Atlantis guy here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Love

Wait there are still Atlantis people left? I thought they all got laid off. That usually happens when a company does less than 2M in sales in a quarter.

-Not a Nutanix or any HCI vendor guy here.

2. Pancakes

I think neither Nutanix, nor any other SDS player is currently impressed by anything you guys do.

But hey, keep discounting! Customers love cheap shit!

I'm glad we didn't fall for that.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Going by recent wins"

A lot of good those made for all of us, huh?

But we have a picture of a cat, that makes it all worth (if this is indeed the same company)

https://twitter.com/TheRegister/status/695757893249806336

Ex-Atlantis guy here

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Recent wins? Since Hyperscale launched in May how many sold, expectation of 600 by year end, how'd that go? Seem to recall closer to 20?! Don't think Nutanix has much to worry about there, but keep hosing.

Ex Atlantis guy

6. Pancakes

Wow, nice spin that CEO is trying to pull.

Dude, if everything was ok and business as usual, you wouldn't be firing 10% of your workforce. Period.

Not profitable after 10 years? Holy shit.

And then going into the price fights?

Prediction: you won't be making any profit in the future either. Time to let the city sink as it's supposed to.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Culture

"While our competitors focus on us, We are focusing on our customers". This makes sense, FUD and BS responses on articles like this doesn't make sense and makes clear to me some people within Nutanix doesn't t have the right mindset to represent the organization and their culture. As a partner I have witnessed the culture or Nutanix my self, I am not impressed about it - arrogant - so work to do here.

1. Pancakes

Re: Culture

What makes you so sure these comments are just from Nutanix people? Could be anybody in the storage/SDS space. Atlantis made a lot of enemies with their price drops, even VMware doesnt like them that much since they keep pushing XenServer support.

I think the culture of Atlantis is really messed up if that picture of the cat thing is true. If a CEO pulled that stunt on me, I'd be his eternal enemy and my sole mission in life would be to make him suffer.

Luckily I'm not in vendor land. Sounds like a fun place to be though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Game Over

Not sustainable business, with many regions now gone it becomes a California and UK business only. very sad as they had some cool tech that will send off selling cheap, 10 years and no profit, how much longer can it survive?

Very competitive market and these guys seem way too chameleon in changing strategy to suit the wind change.

If you are looking for HCI you have to play safe and bet on Nutanix, unless Dell or HP save this before they sink.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems it gets even worse, if possible!

Looks like not one single handover to management or other employees, how mad is that?

How can those that are left be prepared for picking up the pieces, way to go Chetan, you Rock! LMAO!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon