back to article Mall owner lays blame at Apple's door for dragging down sales

One of the US’s major mall operators blamed Apple for dragging down the performance of its high end properties, potentially compounding the discomfort for the i company. Last month Apple reported results that were - for the tech juggernaut - slightly lacklustre, precipitating a share slide that made it the former most valuable …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    WTF?

Oh FFS !

was my initial thought on reading this ....

We really need a "FFS !" icon.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. ratfox
        Gates Horns

Re: Oh FFS !

Testing!

EDIT: Well, well… Seems to work.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DaLo
            Jobs Halo

Re: Oh FFS !

I don't think you need to read an article or hack anything, F12 has always been available!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

You're blaming it wrong

An Apple spokesperson from the tippity top of his ivory tower condescended the following statement: "These retailers are as stupid as the users."

2. MondoMan
    Big Brother

Mall landlords DO know tenant stores' sales

The story seems a bit confused on this -- mall operators usually take a percentage of a tenant store's sales as rent; thus, they know the stores' sales and would directly know the sales of any Apple stores they have as tenants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mall landlords DO know tenant stores' sales

Apple has done better YoY every quarter, but that doesn't mean sales from Apple Stores aren't down, if more people are buying from apple.com.

It might even be just that the Apple Stores in the US are down, or just Apple Stores in General Growth's malls are down.

I'm pretty sure that in years when Apple Stores in their malls have experienced a big growth in sales they aren't calling it out and saying "our 6% growth would be only 3% if we didn't include Apple". But now that Apple is a drag they want to separate it out. Live by the sword, die by the sword...

2. Boo Radley

And perhaps Apple stores are cooking the books - showing lower sales as a way to pay less rent?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well haters gonna hate, but why is Apple more likely to do that than some other store in their mall like Tiffany's?

Likely almost all of the Apple Store sales are via debit/credit, so if GG suspected that they could ask to audit the amounts Apple's payment processor is reporting for that store each month. I'm sure a mall conglomerate has a pretty good handle on insuring the reported sales are accurate.

1. DaLo
          Headmaster

"...on insuring the reported sales are accurate"

Wow you can get insurance for anything nowadays.

1. mosw

Malls are more concerned about the foot traffic as higher foot traffic usually = higher overall sales and rents. Anchor stores generate a lot of foot traffic so they get a better deal then the smaller retailers. Apple is likely treated as an anchor store so the malls are relying on them to generate overall foot traffic. My guess is that Apple stores are not drawing the same turnout as they used even if overall sales remain strong.

3. Holleritho

What about a kiosk?

One of those nice mid-aisle stations where the Apple salesperson sits on a stool and tries to tempt the passers-by.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: What about a kiosk?

AND do their nails while selling them iThingies?

4. Mike Shepherd

It's a pity, really...

...that Sandeep Mathrani appears unable to communicate exactly what he's trying to say.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Angel

Irish Malls

The Irish malls are driving local businesses and anything without a high margin back to inner city. Greed. They are massively expensive. Also restrictive. Only one "pharmacy"/Chemist can actually do prescription and only one supermarket.

I don't know of any with an Apple Store, though Carphone Warehouse is nearly as pointless. Tesco sells iThings as well as Samsung etc. Both seems a mad place to buy tech though.

1. Dagg Silver badge

Re: Irish Malls

@Mage

>Also restrictive. Only one "pharmacy"/Chemist can actually do prescription

That may not be the Mall, it might be a ruling from the Pharmaceutical Guild.

6. DerekCurrie
    Mushroom

Hysterical Hysteria

"Last month Apple reported results that were - for the tech juggernaut - slightly lacklustre, precipitating a share slide that made it the former most valuable company in the world."

No: The Apple results were not remotely 'lacklustre'.

No: Apple is not the 'former' most valuable company, as of February 3 anyway. GOOG shares fell and knocked it off the perceptual pedestal.

Yes: Amidst the hysterical hysteria of WallNut Street, Apple is wisely projecting a rare decline in year over year earnings NEXT quarter. Therefore, let's blame the state of WallNut Street's paranoia and the state of the world economy at Apple's door, sell all our AAPL and buy more guns. (o_0)

OR we could figure out that there's something a bit loony about Sandeep Mathrani, CEO at General Growth Properties.

1. asdf

Re: Hysterical Hysteria

Hold a lot of Apple stock huh? Though I tend to agree when you are making billions in profit in each quarter slower growth at some point is inevitable.

2. Eddy Ito
      Devil

Re: Hysterical Hysteria

... sell all our AAPL and buy more guns.

That's probably the smartest thing in your post since over the past five years AAPL is up just over 88% but Sturm, Ruger & Co are up almost 290% and Smith & Wesson are up 475%.

7. fishman

Brick and Mortar

Attitudes like Sandeep Mathrani has is why I go to the malls less and less.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brick and Mortar

Wonder if you'd say the same if his name was John Smith or something.

8. Tazan

Mall Rentals are complicated

It can be based on a percentage of your sales. So if one of your larger retailers doesn't make money then neither do you. Also, Apple is like an anchor store. They are expected to bring business into the mall for the other stores. So, if Apple stores are down then all the stores are going to be less than expected.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mall Rentals are complicated

And yet it seems that all other stores are up and the Apple store is down, go figure!

9. Faceless Man

It's important to remember that these numbers exclude tennants using over 10000 square feet, such as any major department stores. That's because, like Apple, they're able to get a better deal on their rents due to high turnover and desirability. It would be interesting to see how Apple Stores compare with the larger tennants. I suspect, but I'm not certain, that adding Apple to those numbers would have the opposite effect. (Apple stores are insanely profitable, and their baseline turnover skews the metric somewhat, so it's possible they're doing better than a Macy's or a Nordstrom.)

It's a pretty meaningless measure anyway, unless you're the CEO of a building management company whining about how you can't just demand more money from some of your most successful clients.

1. Scott 53

Tennants using over 10,000 sq ft

Is that how much space is devoted to Doctor Who merchandise?

10. Rainer

Apple is special

TTBOMK, Apple refuses rents based on sales percentages.

They just don't do it.

Thinking about it, too bad the ifo-Apple-Store guy passed away - he could probably answer that.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Apple is special

R offered "...Apple refuses rents based on sales percentages. They just don't do it. ..."

They'd like people (mall owners) to believe that, but apparently it's not actually true.

How else can we explain this entire news story?

Apple fib? Ha!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple is special

The mall owner would be more concerned with the foot traffic Apple is creating, as more foot traffic usually means higher overall mall sales/rents. So maybe Apple's foot traffic is down (no big lineups for new products) even if Apple's overall sales are good?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cockroaches, Starbucks, & Apple stores.

They proliferate like mad, outnumber the humans a trillion to one, & even nuking them from orbit can't rid the planet of their ilk.

At least the cockroaches have the benefit of being a viable food source for lizards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cockroaches, Starbucks, & Apple stores.

Actually, a viable food source for humans too. They just need to be marketed under an Apple brand. Maybe I should register iFood.

Nutritional content of the American Cockroach:

http://www.examiner.com/article/nutritional-content-of-the-american-cockroach-periplaneta-americana-l

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Malls

RIP

13. TheProf
    Gimp

LuluLemon?

You're 'avin' a larf!

Oh! No you're not.

Jebus, they even have a section for men.

1. Scott 53

Re: LuluLemon?

They have a section for "Women's bras" - I assume the Men's bras are still under development. I'm underdeveloped myself in that area.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: LuluLemon?

The bro.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like