back to article Cabling horrors unplugged: Reg readers reveal worst nightmares

Blame cloud, blame DevOps, blame the increasingly prevalent trend towards managerial OCD, but server installations are becoming tidier. The influx of suites and external suppliers, such as Amazon and Microsoft, means that as tech's become “transparent” the back room's become more presentable. But you can’t blame tech’s …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

No photographs...

...but once a computer in the sales office (yep, the same one where the guy swivelled on his chair and kicked the power cable out) sometimes couldn't connect to the PDC - i.e. no network?

The guy had a fan under his desk, and every time I went to look I turned it off, and *hey presto* connection.

Anyway, cut a long story (and investigation) short. On his partition was a calendar pinned on the wall with a drawing pin. The pin had penetrated a Cat5 cable behind the false wall. Turn the fan on, the calendar flapped, wiggled the drawing pin, and somehow shorted out/made noise on the cable at random times.

It took me months to sort that one out.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Cable party?

In the last picture: The blue cables should be split into two. One lot follows the current path (run to far left, up and flow in left to right) the second lot should go straight up and flow in from the right to left.

*Tsk*

3. Stoneshop

Insufficient room to swing a cat

Quite enough, if it was a reasonably sedate cat that didn't mind a few nasty cracks on its head.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Insufficient room to swing a cat

Insufficient room to swing a Cat-5...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those arent even close

Back in the dot-com days there was a lot of cash flowing to people who really didnt know how to run IT and I'd occasionally end up working overnight on firewall upgrades with a 2am-4am change slot. This typically meant I'd have a couple of hours in the data center with nothing to do so I'd take a little walk and see what kind of tech was floating about.

The worst I have ever seen was back in 2001-2002 (I forget exactly which) in an Exodus data center in London. I saw a 4m x 4m rented cage with racks around three sides facing outwards and the cabling ran point to point between the servers.

It looked like some form of modern art installation take on a Gordian knot suspended in mid-air at the center of the cage. I suspect the racks themselves werent that stable given the tension on some of the cables.

I also know a friend who worked in a hospital about the same time where a comms cupboard got *very* hot - to the point that the sleeves on the cat5 cabling became soft and fused. The way he tells it there was one point where 20-30 cables essentially became a brick, but the shielding and cores were fine it was just impossible to repatch without cutting the whole mess out.

I've also personally seen a data center where when you lifted the suspended floor there was a 2 inch clearance below the floor before you hit a cable mass that looked like a snake scene out of an Indiana Jones film - there may or may not have been cable trays underneath but it really didnt matter as again the cables had simply been run point to point under the floor (and I'm told by the guy who eventually fixed that one that many of those cables had also helpfully been cable tied to the supports for the floor.

Anonymous as there is an off chance that some people might be able to attribute these to the clients I worked with based on dates.

5. Chris King

Amateur Hour

Don't forget that cabling horrors can happen OUTSIDE the comms racks too...

One site I had to deal with contained a bunch of startups who didn't want to pay the standard rate for a proper Cat5 network point installation. One enterprising soul tried to use 8-core BT CW1308 (that's right, 4-pair telephone cable) and when it didn't work, he said "Well, it's twisted pair just like Cat5 isn't it ?"

Another one got the right cable, but didn't bother with trunking - they stapled it to the wall, and then committed another crime against networking... They terminated it to a proper outlet, but stripped back about 9" of the outer insulation.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: Amateur Hour

Crazy, also expensive, because of the smaller demand, CW1308 (especially the relatively unusual 4 pair) is considerably MORE expensive than cat 5 in most cases!

2. Vic

Re: Amateur Hour

"Well, it's twisted pair just like Cat5 isn't it ?"

I got called out to an emergency. Several computers couldn't access the network reliably - or at all in one case.

"Have you had new cables put in?", I asked. "No" was the reply. Until one guy admitted that yes, he had re-cabled some of the network because the old cables were getting scruffy.

Pin1 went to pin1, pin 2 to pin2, etc. But no-one had told him about which pairs had to be twisted together, so he'd just grouped 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8. I had to stare at the connectors for a few minutes to make sure it wasn't me misunderstanding...

A few minutes of retermination, and the network sprang into life.

Vic.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our friends across the pond love point to point cabling

Came as a bit of a shock, first time I had test one of our systems with a US customer. That said.... No unbundling required, when having to fix a cabling issue or replace a faulty cable.

7. Darryl

The server room that I inherited at my last job was as big as a decent office. There were four racks lined up side-to-side for seven servers and a bunch of old 24 port 3Com switches. The reason four racks were needed was because, instead of buying rack mounted servers, they bought towers and put each on a custom made metal shelf screwed into the rack. Also on each shelf was a standalone UPS dedicated to that server. Cabling the building was handled by the on-staff electrical dept. and even though the supervisor was a master electrician who was also certified in comms installation, the guys working for him just dealt with industrial electrical installations. This resulted in most of the drop ceiling tiles in the room being long gone, and Cat5 lines, fibre, and phone lines dropping in all over the place - some of the Cat5 terminated with an RJ45, which was plugged straight into one of the antique switches. After some arguments with the fire inspector, who insisted that there needed to be ceiling tiles, I attempted to bundle some of this nightmare up and work it into four or five common drop points so I could get most of the ceiling reinstalled.

And don't get me started on cable ties or zip ties or whatever you want to call them. I think I must've cut at least a few hundred out of there before I could move anything.

8. x 7

its all very well laughing at untidy cabling..........but generally speaking untidy loose cables are easier to trace and work on. If you've got 100 leads all cut to length and tied together you've no chance of trying to visually trail a cable from A to B. Even if you cut the ties the bloody things are often too tight to separate without unplugging them all

If they're loose, hanging and trailing you can physically see whats going where and can easily plug and replace or move without any risk or hassle.

Tidy cables are for anally retentive inbred twats who've inherited a OCD cleaning complexes from their mothers (or elder "sisters" where closely inbred)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You can also trace them more easily if the colour coding is - picked up whatever cat5 was in the discount bin that day + different hues produced by fading and years of dust

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Research

What cable id's and patching schedules are for.

4. calmeilles

That's why each cable needs to be uniquely labelled both ends. And every run have a few spares just in case.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Steven Jones

Wrong spec co-ax

Oh yes, got bitten by that one. Workstations at the end of the cable (near the terminator) worked, those in the middle did not. I checked the cable and it was the wrong spec and the cable guy expressed surprise that it actually mattered (he'd laid about 50m of the stuff).

nb. on a side issue, co-ax cable was invented by one of the unsung heroes of electrical engineering and physics, Oliver Heaviside. A self-taught physicist and mathematician, he was one of the chief developers of vector calculus and it is he who is responsible for the modern formulation of Maxwell's famous equations (Maxwell had 20 formulas and 20 variables whilst Oliver Heaviside's formulation reduced this to 4 formulas and 4 variables). He developed transmission line theory and is responsible for many of the terms used in electrical engineering, like inductance, impedance etc. A huge debt is owed to him and for much of his life he was treated as an outsider from the scientific mainstream.

Re: Wrong spec co-ax

> he was one of the chief developers of vector calculus .... He developed transmission line theory

Bastard !

2. calmeilles

Oliver Heaviside. A self-taught physicist and mathematician

And one of two physicists who predicted the existence of the Kennelly–Heaviside layer.

1. x 7

Heaviside layer.????

More bloody posts about Cats?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Looking at the ven diagram for this one, we have people who know musicals, overlapped with people who know cabling (reading this article), overlapped with people who know about the Heaviside Layer (possibly itself an intersection of radio amateurs and physicists) giving a population sum total of about half a dozen UK residents. Funny nonetheless, but limited audience :-)

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

>Funny nonetheless, but limited audience

But ones that can't go home -even though we already are :-( luckily we all have NoScript. )-:

I could be finished by Six #O#

2. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

Calmeilles "...Heaviside. one of two physicists who predicted... the Kennelly–Heaviside layer."

Well, who was the other?

LOL

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Calmeilles "...Heaviside. one of two physicists who predicted... the Kennelly–Heaviside layer."

Well, who was the other?

It was Arthur.

2. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: BNC connectors

Don't forget that the centre pins of 75R and 50R BNCs are slightly different too, can't remember the exact details, but I do remember that on some brands, physical damage to the socket can occur from the wrong impedance plug being inserted. Bet that kind of 'hardware virus' would've made it funner... :\

1. Archivist

Re: BNC connectors

For BNCs the pin diameter difference is an Urban Myth. The 50/75 ohm impedance difference is due to the amount of PTFE dielectric inside the connector. Compare a plug of each type to see the difference.

Of course cable with a given dielectric will have a different ratio of inner to outer diameter between the impedances, but you'll have finding two different cables with exactly the same dielectric construction to compare.

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

75-ohm coax...

75-ohm RG-59 is typically a slightly larger diameter than 50-ohm RG-58.

Typically 0.242" vice 0.195".

It's a sufficiently large difference (24%) that I think it's fair to say it's obvious.

Even in isolation, without reference to the other.

There are other cable types of course, but these are the most common.

1. Vic

Re: 75-ohm coax...

There are other cable types of course, but these are the most common.

I repaired a CCTV installation in a club one afternoon. The terminations were crap - to the point of some of the BNCs on the cameras not even being crimped.

It looked like a quick job, so I priced it according to the two cameras I actually inspected. Turned up with the stripper tool already calibrated for the cable.

And then I found out that every other camera in the place had a different cable type to the ones I'd looked at - and to each other, mostly. The place was a mess.

I didn't earn much from that job. But I did end up getting quite a few drinks bought for me by a very grateful club boss...

Vic.

4. Down not across

Of course, to most people they look and behave identically, and so are easily swapped for testing, or when a longer cable is required. All of this causes occasional, spurious, and very difficult to trace errors on both the computer networking and video side of things.

And then you get someone who thinks its OK to extend the reach by running single coax from T connector to the NIC...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

another cabling horror

I unfortunately no longer have the pics from this recently moved DC, around 150 m2, and each and every freaking cable (LAN or SAN) going hung to various pieces of the roof ...

All of that because my predecessor was pressured to death to move the whole DC ...

Took me months to sort out this mess ...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not toooo bad!

Guess I was one of the few people looking at those pictures and thinking, "actually, that's not too bad really"?!

Where I once worked had a centralised host computer with lots of serial connections to local and remote green-screen terminals. All connections went through muxes that basically provided soft-patching, and then either on to a patch panel* and then on to local terminals, or into voice/data muxes and then into KiloStream(TM) modems to the remote offices. Part of the problem was that things got changed and moved about a lot, and part of it was that the serial muxes were spread over a few cabinets. And there was no underfloor anything... so to visualise it... it looked like a bunch of cabinets are barfed up a lot of grey spaghetti onto the floor. The floor was all cable... you could not avoid walking on cable. And cables were not labelled!

*actually, the patch panel was luxury... before that, it was just cables disappearing up through removed ceiling panel and then snaking their way to the various offices in the building.

Funny thing is though, it did all work. If there was a problem with a cable, you could relatively easily find either end of where it should plug in and add yet another cable to replace it. Pulling the old cable out was often not an option though... largely due to the weight of the existing cable.

Where the internet is represented on network diagrams as a cloud since the admin can only really assert that things go in one place and come out another, I often felt that that network should've used a knotted, tangled mess of cable to represent it's own hidden mysteries!

Anonymous because... it seems like a good idea really!

1. Vic

Re: Not toooo bad!

Guess I was one of the few people looking at those pictures and thinking, "actually, that's not too bad really"?!

No, I was with you there. I've seen much worse.

I worked in a "server room" a few years back where there was no sense of "ownership" of any of the racks - people would just slot their kit in wherever they though it would fit[1]. And, of course, that usually meant running cables between racks to link up their units. Would that cable go through the assorted switchgear we had for that purpose? Would it go through the roof drops? Would it buggery.

Extricating any piece of kit from any rack would usually involve recabling somone else's project[2] because they'd strung wires straight across your server, with insufficient slack to be able to get the cable out of the way...

Vic.

[1] All those thermal problems that are running through your head right now - yes, they all happened.

[2] In the early days, I'd make efforts to find out who owned the kit in question to make sure that unplugging their cables wasn't going to cause a major headache. Then we had a major power cut to the site, and absolutely everything wnet down[3]. Once power was restored, nearly half the units in the room were never powered up again. I soon realised that most of the stuff in there was total crap that wasn't being used any more...

[3] There were UPSes on quite a lot of the kit - but the outage was long enough to exhaust the batteris. Nothing in that room had diesel backup (nor needed it).

12. Nate Amsden

the opposite

some pretty amazing cabling jobs pictured here

http://izismile.com/2016/01/21/these_images_will_make_computer_nerds_everywhere_very_happy_23_pics.html

1. Nate Amsden

Re: the opposite

sorry if the link was a dupe of the reddit/imgur thread if it was. I don't use reddit or imugur. or facebook or twitter or most of the rest of the internet except el reg.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not a nightmare. Yet. But where I am now the "highly skilled" fitters (or whatever brain-shy knuckle draggers they sub-contracted out to) managed to cable the entire floor of the building but left no office plan where the ports were connected. The cables themselves in the office were not terminated into floor panel sockets, they were just deployed as flying cables to be plugged straight into a device and the only identifying marks on the cables were written on the cable using a biro, most of which appear to have been worn off the moment anybody plugged the cable into a device.

Wonderful. Fecking wonderful. It's all OK until something goes wrong or somebody wants to move the office around a bit.

The knuckle draggers' attempt at AV cabling was even worse...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The cables themselves in the office were not terminated into floor panel sockets, they were just deployed as flying cables to be plugged straight into a device and the only identifying marks on the cables were written on the cable using a biro,"

To balance that story out a little, our company has done a job very like you describe. You, as IT probably wanted a proper job with wall and floor plates etc. But the customer PHB signing off may well have been one of those who thinks that wall/floor plates are an expensive luxury and insists on corner cutting. In our defence, we did label everything properly but if I'd had my way we'd have walked away from the job.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Did you say flying males on solid core

Doesn't comply with the Cat5 spec so you can reject the lot, surely?

You got a Cat5/6 test result sheet, right?

- Of course not. Nobody does those :(

14. AustinTX
    Linux

Illuminati Online

Bad enough when it's a company's network that looks like spaghetti... how about when it's an actual Internet Service Provder? Behold Illuminati Online circa 2000:

https://imgur.com/a/flhlT

Yes, THAT Illuminati Online. Originally the BBS of Steve Jackson Games, the USA secret service decided to seize the entire contents of their office on the pretense that they were training the public how to hack teh internets. Actually, they were designing a role playing game. You know, roll 2D6 for 11 or higher to see if you'd "hacked" that server, durrrrr. SGJ never got their shit back. Years later, SJG miraculously won their lawsuit and launched the ISP with the money.

And check out the old 2000 website:

http://io.fondoo.net/

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Illuminati Online

You could have illustrated the point to Steve Jackson thusly...

Page 63. "You have reached the Starship Jupiter's comms cabinet. In front of you are thousands of wires. There are red ones, blue ones and green ones. One of them must control the security grid defences protecting the bridge. Unplug it and you will be able to enter the bridge and regain control of the ship before it hits the planet. Quickly now! Choose a cable, but choose wisely - pick the wrong one and unplugging it will damage the life support system.

If you choose a red cable turn to page 234.

If you choose a blue cable turn to page 137.

If you choose a green cable turn to page 345."

On pages 234, 137 & 345.

"If you chose the left hand half of the bundle turn to page 378 (etc)"

And then just "You follow the cable into the corridor service duct. Turn to page ..." again and again until finally, after 50 pages...

"The cable disappears through a hole in the wall. You open the adjacent door and follow the cable through to the other side. Turn to page 63."

I think that's what iso9001 requires as documentation for a regular office network

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wrong Steve Jackson

3. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Is the the Impossible Mission that Tom Cruise got killed on?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Picture 2

Picture 2 - I have something pretty similar in the comms room at one of my client's depots.

Small-ish office space, only two racks, but the floor was flood-cabled and they all terminate on patch panels in one cabinet. But for some bizarre reason, the switches and router are in the second cabinet right next to it. So there is a great thick, thigh-sized bundled of cables squeezing out of one cabinet into the next. Madness!

16. Allan George Dyer
    Joke

Evil plan...

1. Check the location of the wiring from the EXIF data

2. Contact copper thieves in each location

4. Profit!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cat5 horrors? How many of these kids had to wrestle with IBM grey channel cables? They were like handling 20 metre anacondas especially at bulkhead connectors where there could be a solid mass 10 cables deep. There were rectangular connectors at each end that caught on everything not to mention that there was a right and wrong way round for them, getting a cable installed the wrong way round caused weird intermittent problems that could take ages to diagnose.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paint the whole world with a raindow.

Trying to trace a cable across a mixed office/sorting/production line building covering 6 stories.

The cable disappeared into an overhead cable trunking (mixed with power and telephone cables!!!)

It was vaguely red.

No red cable in the server room.

Started tracing it through the overhead trunking - which was helped by the fact that half the trunking covers were missing and everything was just hanging between the cross-members due to it being massively over-capacity.

20m in I found it had been patched into a vaguely GREEN cable.

No green cable in the server room.

Went back and carried on tracing the cable.

Another 40m in, I found the green cable patched into a vaguely BLUE cable.

Server room is FULL of effing blue cables.

I did manage to trace it, but my efforts were in vain; you see the cable trunkings were fed into and up a lift shaft, with NO fire-breaks; and just after my triumph, a welder working on a lift repair managed to set the lot alight, burning out an estimated 100 miles of power, phone and comms cables.

Kay & Co, the home of bad wiring.

1. x 7

Re: Paint the whole world with a raindow.

"burning out an estimated 100 miles of power, phone and comms cables."

but that was GOOD, surely? It meant you had a clear run to start from scratch and do it properly

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Paint the whole world with a raindow.

Are you joking ?? The "A" team always got the shit jobs, the "B" team (three times the staff, 1/10th of the workload), always took the prestige jobs - and screwed them up.

All the senior time servers/wasters were on the "B" team, one old fart kept referring to MODEMS as MO-DELS; and none of them were useful for anything more complex than a 2 way light switch.

Besides, I got sacked not long after, for refusing to sign off on 1/2 million pounds worth of dodgy office equipment one of the directors had ordered (and it not only didnt work, it couldnt do the job he had bought it for even if it had worked).

2. Nigel 11

Cable Tracing

Guys, buy yourselves a cable tracer! (aka "Tone and Probe" kit)

Plug the signal generator thingy in at one end, Wave the probe at the patch panel outlets or the cables protruding from them until you hear the warbling tone loud and clear. That's the other end.

With 100BaseT you can even trace a cable without breaking the datacomms for more than a few seconds, You inject the tone on the 7/8 and 4/5 pairs which 100BaseT does not use. 1000BaseT uses all eight wires, but much hardware will downgrade itself to 100BaseT if you disconnect 4/5/7/8, and most users won't notice the slowdown). You use one of those 2:1 network splitters as the injector. (You know, one of those thingles that connects 4/5 to 1/2 and 7/8 to 3/6 on the second outlet so you can run two 100BaseT Ethernet channels down a single Cat5e premises cable. Naughty but occasionally nice, compared to a two-week wait and a three-figure bill to install a printer).

Why? Well, there are nightmare undocumented spaghetti wiring tangles. And then there are anally retentive tightly bundled and tied installations that look like works of art, except that someone put the wrong numbers on the ends on one or more wires. Both problems easily solved.

19. David Roberts

Thin co-ax

IIRC should be one long run, with T junctions by each PC with a short run of cable to the network card.

However it is so simple to reconfigure that people were finding a T connector and side run, then sharing the side run using another T connector...which branched into another T connector.....and tree structures all the way down. Followed by indignation when the network didn't.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon