back to article The last time Earth was this hot hippos lived in Britain (that’s 130,000 years ago)

It’s official: 2015 was the warmest year on record. But those global temperature records only date back to 1850 and become increasingly uncertain the further back you go. Beyond then, we’re reliant on signs left behind in tree rings, ice cores or rocks. So when was the Earth last warmer than the present? The Conversation …

Page:

1. hplasm
    Coat

It's true!

Looking at the High Street, the hippos are still living here...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's true!

Could we help African wildlife by encouraging poaching of the UK herds of hippopotamus shellsuitus for Chinese medicinal purposes?

1. PCar
        Stop

It's true, it's dire here:

This article was first published at The Conversation.

If I want to read these articles I can visit their website. I do not want to find them cut and pasted into The Register.

Publish your own articles.

Can anyone recomend a tech site that resembles how The Register was in September 2015 before the PC coup?

1. Douglas Lowe

"Can anyone recomend a tech site that resembles how The Register was in September 2015 before the PC coup?"

You mean when The Reg rode the post climate-gate denialist-propaganda wave with a deluge of click-bait articles full of half-baked comments dressed up as scientific fact?

Yes, I do remember those times - and I'm glad to see that The Reg has started publishing proper science articles on this subject instead.

1. Turtle

@Douglas Lowe Re: It's true!

"'m glad to see that The Reg has started publishing proper science articles on this subject instead."

Yeah, because if you can suppress dissent thoroughly enough, AGW will become true. By magic, apparently.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: @Douglas Lowe It's true!

>AGW will become true. By magic, apparently.

It's called "science" - you know, that thing that keeps the lights on and the heating working, and makes it possible to do cool things like take photos of Pluto.

You should try learning something about it - especially the part where being noisy and opinionated doesn't excuse you from being dead wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@TheOtherHobbes

You should take your comment to heart and apply some of the science you advocate and apply it to validating the computer models that the AGW religion is based on.

When you have successfully managed to validate just one of the models please publish your results with all calculations in one of the journals.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Boffin

This is a good trick you are playing.

Obviously it is not possible to 'validate a model' in the sense either of proving that the program is correct (ie that it implements the algorithms that it claims to) which is impractical for almost all programs, or of proving that the algorithms themselves correctly simulate the climate, since (a) we know they don't, certainly that they don't to very fine detail, (b) we don't even know all the processes that make up the climate yet, and (c) even if (a) and (b) were true there is SDIC.

Finally, we can't even do the kind of empirical testing with climate models that we can (or could) do with CFD simulations of nuclear weapons, for instance, since we don't get to repeatedly build an earth and set it going to see if it agrees with what our model predicts.

So, as I said, it's a clever trick to ask for something that you know can't be done and make it sound reasonable. Not bad for someone living under a bridge.

But there are, of course, things that can be done, apart from the standard process of incorporating new and computationally expensive processes in the models and running everything on finer scales as computer power increases as well as fixing bugs and improving algorithms.

You can run your climate model for a period in the past, and see how well it agrees with what happened. People do this, a lot, and use the results to correct models.

You can take multiple climate models and run them with the same input data and compare their results. People do this: they've called Model Intercomparison Projects (MIPs).

You can run a single model with a varied set of inputs (an ensemble) and see how its predictions vary. You can do this in a MIP as well. People do this.

1. h4rm0ny

>>"So, as I said, it's a clever trick to ask for something that you know can't be done and make it sound reasonable. Not bad for someone living under a bridge."

Actually, it can be done. You just watch over time and see if the predictions of the model bare out. Until that is done, you can say that the model is unproven. And that's what they're stating. You say that people compare previous models with how it turned out and adjust them so they fit - but there's no logical way to distinguish between whether you're making your model better, or introducing other wrong things that make it fit the known conclusion:

Suppose my model said the temperature rise was going to be 0.4C but it was 0.6C. I shall say that latent heat in the oceans contributed 0.2C. Now my model is right. That's the process you're talking about, but is it right? Maybe it wasn't latent heat in the oceans but something else. Maybe it was but it contributed 0.3C and the other parts of your model were wrong for some reason. You don't know. And there is no way to know if you've improved your model or just made it wrong in a different way. Creating a model to fit a known conclusion cannot prove the model. Only prediction can. So you're wrong to dispute with the OP about asking for proof that a model is right. Yes, you are indeed unable to give that proof to them. But the implication of that is that you can't verify the model, not that they are wrong to ask for proof before they'll believe.

2. Tom 13

No trickery involved. In fact, we're just trying to hold the Warmists accountable for their claims. If the models work you SHOULD be able to make an accurate prediction about what you're modeling for the next 20 years. Looking back at the predictions the Warmists made 20 years ago, none of them have come true. They claim they've made adjustments to the models, but for some reason they keep saying the same thing: the Earth should be warming faster than it is. So, either ALL of the actual physical instruments or wrong, or the models are badly flawed and should be scrapped. I know which one is the correct scientific approach. Apparently none of the Warmists do.

And yes, sitting at the Service Desk where I do, from time to time I get to hear the bean counters at one of the largest and best known nests of Warmist vipers. They DO actually target money toward Warmist propaganda instead of actual science.

2. Preston Munchensonton
                Stop

It's called "science" - you know, that thing that keeps the lights on and the heating working, and makes it possible to do cool things like take photos of Pluto.

You should try learning something about it - especially the part where being noisy and opinionated doesn't excuse you from being dead wrong.

You should try taking your rose-colored glasses off. No one can say that climate science isn't really now climate politics. If you think otherwise, keep enjoying that hole that you shoved your head into. The rest of us have to see this drivel posted everywhere, now El Reg included.

Can we just move the non-IT articles into a "sister" site where all the other crap can float on it's own? Personally, I hate that any of this is polluting what used to be a joy to read.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: @Douglas Lowe It's true!

We have had a science channel on The Register since 2003.

1. Tom 13

Re: We have had a science channel

Yes, but the point we've made repeatedly is that regardless of the letters behind the names, this isn't science.

2. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

@ Drewc

Re: Re: @Douglas Lowe It's true!

We have had a science channel on The Register since 2003.

And once upon a time it ploughed its own sceptical furrow. Now it is following the standard alarmist drivel that every mainstream media clone tries to shovel all over the public.

Lewis Page and Tim Worstall were a joy to read, even if you disagreed with them. Have you seen the Alexa ratings since TPTB kicked them out, and employed you instead?

1. h4rm0ny
                      Pint

Re: @ Drewc

It's a real shame that Lewis Page is gone. Just did a search online and all I can find is a terse statement that he's not legally allowed to discuss the reasons behind his departure. Any speculation? He was editor for about four years, no? And I've really enjoyed The Register during that time.

It's worse for his leaving, imo. Pint for you, Lewis.

2. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Employed me instead?

I have been here since 1997.

2. Thought About IT

@ Preston Munchensonton

"You should try taking your rose-colored glasses off. No one can say that climate science isn't really now climate politics."

Are you really ignorant of the deliberate plan to politicise climate science by propagandists funded by the fossil fuel industries? They reasoned that all they needed to do to maintain their profitability was to delay action to cut greenhouse gas emissions by making it politically impossible. As is all too evident, they've been very successful.

3. JohnMoser

Actually, it's fossil fuel that keeps the lights on and the heating working for most of the world. Real science, not your "science", is about using observation and experimentation to predict future behavior and outcomes. Skepticism is vital for science, especially when the predictions of apocalyptic fear-mongers consistently fail.

"You should try learning something about it - especially the part where being noisy and opinionated doesn't excuse you from being dead wrong." At least, you are right about something. Now, if only you would take your own advice.

If you want people to believe your folderol, a good first step would be to tell the leaders of your movement to stop flying around the world on private jets.

4. Turtle

@ TheOtherHobbes Re: @Douglas Lowe It's true!

"'AGW will become true. By magic, apparently.' It's called "science" - you know, that thing that keeps the lights on and the heating working, and makes it possible to do cool things like take photos of Pluto. You should try learning something about it - especially the part where being noisy and opinionated doesn't excuse you from being dead wrong."

That the lights are on and it is possible to take photos of Pluto does not even begin to mean that AGW is true. Not even a little. And to attempt to make any sort of connect between these things shows a great ability to reason in bizarre and ignorant ways.

It seems that you are blissfully unaware that scientists have been wrong many, many times.

Perhaps you ought to consider attempting to learn something about both science and scientists, insofar as the sum total of your understanding seems to approach zero.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: @ TheOtherHobbes @Douglas Lowe It's true!

It seems that you are blissfully unaware that scientists have been wrong many, many times.

Mostly wrong. If they were right we'd still be discussing phlogiston, transplanting monkey glands, sterilising the mental defectives, performing skin graft experiments using four year old Jewish children (no anaesthetic required)....

5. Steve Crook

"It's called "science" - you know"

No it isn't. It's called engineering.

6. Tom 13

Re: It's called "science"

No it's not. In fact science is quite the opposite. In point of fact, this Warmist claptrap has much more in common with The Spanish Inquisition than it does with science.

2. PCar

Re: @Douglas Lowe, It's true!

@Douglas Lowe,

"You mean when The Reg rode the post climate-gate denialist-propaganda wave with a deluge of click-bait articles full of half-baked comments [Opinion Articles] dressed up as scientific fact?

Yes, I do remember those times - and I'm glad to see that The Reg has started publishing proper science articles on this subject instead."

Why the aggressive reply implying my comment was related to the topic of the article? I did not mention climate change, global warming or anything else related to the content of the article.

To quote my comment: "If I want to read these articles I can visit their [The Conversation] website. I do not want to find them cut and pasted into The Register."

Your aggressive, accusatory comment is further proof - if any were needed - of warmist jihadi's mission to attack, denigrate and misrepresent any opinion which even remotely appears to deviate from their agenda.

In this case it was stating I did not want to see cut and paste articles from another website here. As the website - The Conversation - is left leaning and a supporter of the global warming narrative the attack dogs are unleashed. Would the same occur if I objected to a cut and paste GWPF, Bishop-Hill or ASI blog article? Probably not.

My opinion on the global warming narrative is not disclosed or relevant to my comment.

What is related to the article:

No mention of the El Nino affect on 2015 temperatures

No mention that satellite temperature measurements do not show the warming shown in (repeatedly adjusted) NOAA, NASA-GISS and UK Met figures

Re: @Douglas Lowe, It's true! [the IT angle]

No mention that satellite temperature measurements do not show the warming shown in (repeatedly adjusted) NOAA, NASA-GISS and UK Met figures

But, but, but, but, that can't possibly be true. All the Atmosphere-Ocean Coupled Climate models agree that the temperature of the troposphere is increasing more rapidly than the surface temperature. And we all know that computers can't tell lies... So it must be those blasted NASA satellites telling lies. [/sarc]

1. Tom 13
                Unhappy

@Pompous Git

You shouldn't play the sarcasm card. The Warmists don't understand it, and even now are working to claim the satellite data is wrong and needs to be "adjusted" to match the models.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/sierra-club-president-says-satellites-are-wrong-our-planet-0

http://www.wunderground.com/resources/climate/hoax.asp

3. Scott 53

Yes, I do remember those times - and I'm glad to see that The Reg has started republishing proper science articles on this subject instead.

FTFY

2. Turtle

@PCar Re: This article was first published at The Conversation.

So thanks to the Register deciding to "improve" the site, instead of Lewis Page's very healthy skepticism, we get this alarmist bullshit.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @PCar This article was first published at The Conversation.

@Turtle,

I fail to see how an article explaining some of the current results of climate research is "alarmist bullshit". It would take a Sun journalist to read this article and produce a piece with the headline "Loony climate scientists say global warming will mean hippopotamuses roaming London". Because it doesn't; it just mentions how thing were different at times in the past when the overall climate was warmer for different reasons, and how we may have delayed the next glaciation.

Perhaps you should try reading it instead of posting based on what you assumed it said.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Voyna i Mor

The big problem is there has been no appreciable temperature rise for more than 18 years and the warmists can't stand that so they 'adjust' the records to fit their doctrine and get very upset when the satellite temperature records are mentioned.

The science is NOT settled but the green blob tries to insist that it is. The problem they have is trying to record hundredths of a degree with instruments that might be accurate to half a degree if you are lucky and a couple of degrees if you are not.

1. strum

>The big problem is there has been no appreciable temperature rise for more than 18 years

Your big problem is that this is a lie. Your attempt to cherry-pick a set of years you can finagle into an anti-science factoid no longer works.

2. Rik Myslewski

I, an ancient Reggie, must weigh in on your bit of tepid twaddle, Ivan 4. Your "no appreciable temperature rise for more than 18 years" assertion is, I can only assume, based on John Christy's (UAH) manipulation of satellite data-acquisition over the past few decades.

That "manipulation" indentifier, as you'll know if you understand the basics of satellite data, is not an accusation, but merely a simple definition of how satellite multi-wavelength radiance data requires manipulation to transform such data into approximations — with, it must be admitted, wildly wide error bars — of temperature data. Oh, and that satellite radiance-sensing studies only cover the mid to upper troposphere, and not down here on earth where we Puny Humans™ live.

If you've done your research — and I'm assuming you have — you already know that the only other (significant) analyst of the satellite record is Remote Sensing Systems of Santa Rosa, California. Check out this reasonable analysis by their VP and Senior Research Scientist Carl Mears, as well as his quote: "I do not expect that the hiatus and model/observation discrepancies are due to a single cause. It is far more likely that they are caused by a combination of factors. Publications, blog posts and media stories that try to pin all the blame on one factor should be viewed with some level of suspicion, whether they are written by climate scientists, journalists, or climate change denialists."

So what it appears that you're attempting to assert is that NOAA, NASA, the Met Office, the Japanese Meteorological Agency, BEST, and any number of other surface-temperature analysts are somehow involved in a global conspiracy to skew their ever-more-accurate conclusions (any scientist who doesn't clarify his conclusions due to new and better analyses of his data is an ass) for political or selfish reasons.

Damn, dude — if that's what you imagine might be even remotely possible, I've got this lovely li'l bridge for sale. For you? Such a deal I could make!

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

I fail to see how an article explaining some of the current results of climate research is "alarmist bullshit".

Until this "alarmist bullshit" appears in university level textbooks such as TR Oke's Boundary Layer Climates some of us will continue to call it "alarmist bullshit".

Climate is the local average of not just temperature, but also precipitation, evaporation rate, windiness, cloudiness and storminess. The type of vegetation is also used to determine the classification of a climatic zone. Until ~30 years ago, the concept that a global temperature average was a climate did not exist. The obsession with a variable that cannot be measured is the giveaway that it's "alarmist bullshit".

Any physicist worth their salt will tell you that increasing temperature results in an increase in the evaporation rate of water. There are chefs and cooks who will tell you the same thing. Housewives even. You can conduct experiments yourself demonstrating that this is so. Despite this, the evaporation pans situated at rural weather stations have shown a decline in evaporation rates since the 1960s when they came into widespread use. It is called the Pan Evaporation Paradox.

Despite this, the promoters of "alarmist bullshit" insist that the "alarming" rise in average temperature means increasing drought. This would only be true if the evaporation rates had increased, hence the use of the term "paradox". It is a paradox only if you believe that temperature change equates to energy change. It does if you are dealing with a single substance such as a pan of water. The atmosphere is not a single, uniform substance. It can contain anywhere between 0% water and whatever the saturation point is for a particular temperature. Air can be moving or stationary. Ocean currents that move swiftly contain more energy than slower moving currents, or stationary ocean.

The variable that is of real interest in global changes is energy, or more accurately changes in energy content of the planet. This variable, energy change, is called enthalpy. Despite many millions of dollars of funding, there has been no attempt at measuring Earth's enthalpy. Instead, it is calculated by measuring changes in average temperature. The nice thing about averages is there are so many of them: the arithmetic mean, RMS, median etc. In the case of climastrology, the arithmetic mean of the median of recording stations is used. Execept when the station reports its own arithmetic mean using hourly temperatures. And for good measure [joke alert] in the US, the highest quality meteorological network on the planet, only 17% of weather stations comply with the World Meteorological Stations standards for temperature measurement.

As well as the challenge to point to a tertiary level text wherein all of this is properly explained, I have another. Go to the International Standards Organisation and find the definition of Global Average Temperature. A committee was set up some decades ago, but I suspect that you will find there is no such definition. It's Rafferty's Rules as we say in Australia and the Global Average Temperature is whatever you want it to be.

3. Turtle

@ Voyna i Mor Re: @PCar This article was first published at The Conversation.

"it just mentions how thing were different at times in the past when the overall climate was warmer for different reasons, and how we may have delayed the next glaciation."

The article very clearly says, in the very first sentence, that this year is the warmest on record. In fact, just to refresh your memory, here it is again, copy-pasted from the article and so verbatim: "It’s official: 2015 was the warmest year on record." Did you skip that part?

Obviously you don't understand how this works.

Someone wrote a paper. Evidence was gathered and inferences were drawn, upon which conclusions were made. The writers of the paper certainly agree with their own conclusions and think that they are well-founded and correct.

That doesn't mean that they are. That's a point that you - and others here - don't seem to grasp.

A related point which you also miss is that criticism of scientific arguments and its evidence, and the conclusions based on them, are at least as importance as the arguments, evidence, and conclusions themselves.

And I didn't see any criticism in the article. On the other hand, if Lewis Page wrote the article, there would have been.

Many demerits to The New Register for this.

4. Tom 13

Re: I fail to see

Yes you do. You should probably start with the fact that Hottest Year Since ... claim was thoroughly debunked about an hour after the first PR release from the Warmists was issued.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It's a shame really, I was hoping to see something of Lewis' after the flooding explaining that it was all the hippies' fault.

3. Just Enough

@Turtle

Let's decode your incisive comment;

"healthy skepticism" = I agree with it.

"alarmist bullshit" = I don't like what this says.

1. Turtle

@Just Enough Re: @Turtle

Extreme skepticism about the impending and imminent end of the world and life as we know it is always in order.

4. Naselus

"Lewis Page's very healthy skepticism"

You mean the man who headlined the 4th lowest arctic summer ice minimum as '31st highest on record'?

Yeah. Healthy.

Arctic ice "melt"

You mean the man who headlined the 4th lowest arctic summer ice minimum as '31st highest on record'?

Ah yes, the warmists' poster child. I do love the way you bring up a cooling event as if it was a warming event. There's this very interesting organisation called NASA whose pronouncements I will paraphrase. Over the period of record, the Arctic ice cap has disintegrated 8 times; that is, around once every four years over 30 years. The breakups were caused by windstorms that blew the ice out of the Arctic Ocean. Note that this is not melting due to a change in temperature.

Ice is an excellent insulator so heat in the Arctic Ocean waters normally is confined to melting just a little of the undersurface of the ice. When the ice is removed, the water is free to radiate heat skyward. Most of this radiation is lost to space. Some of it is absorbed by CO2 molecules and somewhat less than 50% of this is reradiated back to the ocean. Nevertheless, the breakup of Arctic ice allows Earth to lose more heat than it does when the ice remains intact.

1. Rik Myslewski

Re: Arctic ice "melt"

@Pompous Git

"... the breakup of Arctic ice allows Earth to lose more heat than it does when the ice remains intact."

You are, quite simply and empirically provably, incorrect. Look up "albedo" someday, and learn how an ice-free Arctic absorbs solar radiation rather than reflecting it.

5. Martin Budden Silver badge

@Turtle

"healthy skepticism" means considering both sides of the argument, and all research & evidence, with an open mind. LP was a cherry-picker: he was anything but open-minded.

3. LucreLout

@PCar

Yes, quite what this has to do with IT is a mystery to me. Publishing anything by "Climatologists" is going to be wholly one sided. They were never going to stand up and say "Well, it turns out everything I've worked on & studied for the past 20 years was wrong and while this will undoubtedly end my career, all is well with the Earth".....

It is literally no different to putting out a press release from ESSO saying "Burning oil has no adverse impact on anything ever".

No matter which side of the climate debate you sit, this was an astonishingly poor article compared to those of the recent past.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

To the haters of the article: are you lot really as bonkers as you portray yourselves or just scientifically completely ignorant and illiterate?

This is a clear explanation, by two experienced and qualified scientists, of the background to the current publication of conclusions about the recent climate (not weather) figures.

No doubt you still believe the Earth is flat and that the planets revolve around it too.

You may or may not understand the article. You may or may not follow the explanation about methodology, evidence and current conclusions or the caveats. But to just follow your bigotries and express your fear and ignorance so foolishly and publicly, well, that takes a bizarre kind of courage or stupidity I suppose.

If you have some solid, peer-researched and accepted evidence to the contrary, I am sure we should all like to read your account, along with your theories of creationism no doubt.

1. GrumpenKraut

> To the haters of the article: are you lot really as bonkers as you portray yourselves or just scientifically completely ignorant and illiterate?

You did put "or" where you should have put "and". And the answer is "yes".

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

If you have some solid, peer-researched and accepted evidence to the contrary, I am sure we should all like to read your account, along with your theories of creationism no doubt.

From La Marguerite:

When I launched the TalkClimateChange forums last year, I was initially worried as to where I would find people who didn’t believe in global warming. I had planned to create a furious debate, but in my experience global warming was such a universally accepted issue that I expected to have to dredge the slums of the internet in order to find a couple of deniers who could keep the argument thriving.

The first few days were slow going, but following a brief write-up of my site by Junk Science I was swamped by climate skeptics who did a good job of frightening off the few brave Greens who slogged out the debate with. Whilst there was a lot of rubbish written, the truth was that they didn’t so much frighten the Greens away – they comprehensively demolished them with a more in depth understanding of the science, cleverly thought out arguments, and some very smart answers. If you want to learn about the physics of convection currents, gas chromatography, or any number of climate science topics then read some of the early debates on TalkClimateChange. I didn’t believe a word of it, but I had to admit that these guys were good.

In the following months the situation hardly changed. As the forum continued to grow, as the blog began to catch traffic, and as I continued to try and recruit green members I continued to be disappointed with the debate. In short, and I am sorry to say it, anti-greens (Reds, as we call them) appear to be more willing to comment, more structured, more able to quote peer reviewed research, more apparently rational and apparently wider read and better informed.

[Emphasis mine]

Source:

https://lamarguerite.wordpress.com/2008/04/12/green-advocates-failing-in-climate-debate/

1. h4rm0ny

The thing I dislike most from your quote is the characterizations of AGW skeptics as "anti-greens" (closely followed by the pejorative 'deniers', what am I, a pair of tights?). I, and I'm confident in speaking for others as well, care a great deal about the environment and I have long been an active campaigner on environmental issues as well as considerable financial support to conservation of species, local environments as well as general animal welfare as a related area.

The fact that I am unconvinced of AGW currently does not make me "anti-green". Yet I repeatedly see my voice and support co-opted by AGW-proponents for their own gain - whether that be egotistical or simply financial. Money that could be going to forest conservation or protection of endangered species of bird or mammal, gets squandered on subsidies for wind farms when a single nuclear power station would do the job of hundreds. Airtime that could be used to highlight the fact that over-fishing has brought our marine ecology to the brink of catastrophic collapse is endlessly swallowed up by people attempting to say how this weeks weather is the result of AGW. Realistic methods of dealing with changes in the climate and adaptation are side-lined by near religious obsession with CO2 and ill-founded ideas for eliminating it with little real idea about whether or not they'll work. Research grants are vacuumed up by academics who know that if you want to get published, what you have to do is put "Climate Change" in your abstract somewhere.

And people shout down debate with pre-decided positions like the person you quote who looks at two debating groups on the forum she runs and deplores the fact that 'those who are wrong have the better arguments'; with no indication she is aware this indicates bias on her part.

Being AGW-skeptical does not mean you are an anti-green. If we turn out to be correct, we'll have been some of the most green people on the planet.

2. John 156

Hang on, you've missed the pièce de résistance from the article:

Greens are less educated? Nope.

Greens have less time? Nope.

Greens are a little reticent? Nope.

Greens are less intelligent? Definitely nope.

Greens are less passionate? Absolutely nope.]

Greens have less at stake? Clearly not.

Which should have been:

Greens are less educated? Yup.

Greens have less time? Nope.

Greens are a little reticent? Nope.

Greens are less intelligent? Definitely Yup.

Greens are less passionate? Absolutely nope.]

Greens have less at stake? Clearly Yes because if things get too hot here on Earth, Natalie Bennet could return to her own planet.

3. Pompous Git Silver badge

To the haters of the article: are you lot really as bonkers as you portray yourselves or just scientifically completely ignorant and illiterate?

Actually, I don't "hate" the article at all; I merely find it "sciencey" rather than scientific.

Scientific question for you, or rather a mathematical one and an awful lot of the science I pay attention to is mathematical. The statistical analyses performed by climastrologists apply only to what is called normally distributed data (aka a Gaussian distribution); a normal distribution consists of random data. Daily temperatures are not a normal distribution, they are autocorrelated; definitely not random. That is, a warm day is more likely to be followed by another warm day rather than a cold one; a cold day is more likely to be followed by another cold day rather than a warm one. Laymen refer to this phenomenon as seasons: summer, autumn, winter and spring, empirically confirming that daily temperatures are far from random.

What is the mathematical, or scientific justification for treating autocorrelated data as if it were random?

4. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

If only being berated by a pretentious imbecile could change people's minds, we could save the Earth from it's imminent destruction

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We have republished articles by third parties since almost since we started publishing daily. The percentage used to be much, much higher. So what it comes down to is this: you don't like the article. Tough.

Good luck with finding that tech site.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon