back to article Microsoft's new cross-platform web app framework renamed ASP.NET Core

Microsoft has renamed its next-generation web application framework ASP.NET Core 1.0, previously known as ASP.NET 5. In addition, the forthcoming Entity Framework 7, a database framework, will now be called Entity Framework Core 1.0 Explaining the change, developer evangelist Scott Hanselman said: Naming the new, completely …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

"new, completely written-from-scratch"

Again?

2. Alistair
    Windows

Even better:

"new, completely written-from-scratch"

With new, completely written from scratch bugs, vulnerabilities and security issues......

As with all new code, wait a bit .....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Even better:

Yep. Like the 'new from the ground up' Edge browser that has the same vulnerabilities as IE11. Oh, wait...

1. Hans 1
        Windows

> Like the 'new from the ground up' Edge browser that has the same vulnerabilities as IE11.

Developed in collaboration with the team that brought flash into this world.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Send war rocket Ajax....

2. kmac499

Classic MS rip up the Tarmac and start again, with the marketeers shouting get your new shiny shiny here.

Which when you get it back home; you find it isn't finished, doesn't fit, the manual is duff, and you can't go back to the old shiny because you've broke what you had to fit the new shiny.

3. joed

yet another update to avoid

if only not to support their initiatives (aka GWX payback)

4. Deltics

This is what makes me laugh / cry...

... when people tell me that .NET is a solid and stable platform.

I've been working with ASP.NET 5 for a few weeks now and although I have been impressed, the biggest source of frustration is that any attempt to find help and assistance when things don't quite work as expected is that the resources available are polluted with information about prior ASP.NET versions which - due to the differences - simply do not apply.

BUT, it's close enough that you don't realise that what you are trying to do isn't going to work until a lot of time has been wasted.

In some cases the tools don't help... e.g. when trying to send mail from a web site, you bring in the required assemblies and namespaces from System.Net which VisualStudio suggests, and your code appears to tick all the boxes as far as intellisense goes. But the build still fails with namespace and missing type errors because those things don't exist in ASP.NET 5/Core 1 (and no, targeting full .NET framework does not fix it, for some reason I've still yet to fathom but am not alone in finding).

The "5" in the name isn't the problem... it really shouldn't even be called ASP.NET. Period.

1. mythicalduck

Re: This is what makes me laugh / cry...

To be honest, I don't touch ASP.NET - I try and avoid everything web-based (which is making my life harder by the day).

However, the .NET framework, I can't speak for the "Core" stuff, but has been pretty solid and stable since v1 to v4.5 from what I've used in WinForms and console applications.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really? .Net 4.0 solid?

Whe does lookout keep reporting this then?

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004010F): The attempted operation failed. An object could not be found.

at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.NameSpaceClass.GetDefaultFolder(OlDefaultFolders FolderType)

at TeamViewerMeetingAddIn.AddIn.DoStartup()

at TeamViewerMeetingAddIn.AddIn.CheckOnlineTimer(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

ManagedAggregator

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/TeamViewer/outlook/ManagedAggregator.DLL

TeamViewerMeetingAddIn

Assembly Version: 10.0.47484.0

Win32 Version: 10.0.47484.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/TeamViewer/outlook/TeamViewerMeetingAddIn.DLL

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34270 built by: FX452RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook

Assembly Version: 15.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 15.0.4779.1002

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook/15.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c/Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.dll

office

Assembly Version: 15.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 15.0.4779.1002

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/office/15.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c/office.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

WindowsBase

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

1. mythicalduck

@AC: Re: This is what makes me laugh / cry...

>Really? .Net 4.0 solid?

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook is not actually part of the .NET framework, it's actually a referenced COM object (as heavily implied by the error of System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException). The interop namespace should give away that it's not part of the framework.

2. thisisthelist

I got email to work in Core 1 (RC1) by using smtp.gmail and System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient. I also needed to update some settings in the gmail account.

5. Hans 1
    WTF?

Seriously, who in their right mind is going to choose ASP.Net over JSP or PHP on non-Windows platforms ?????

Seriously, intelligent dev's are going to use either over ASP.Net on Windows, anyway.

1. Sway
      Megaphone

Intelligent dev's understand that PHP is a programming language and ASP.NET is a web framework, they both have their uses.

2. amanfromarse

Intelligent devs are going to use JSP or PHP? Seriously? It's 2016!

3. LucreLout

I've just spent 5 months working with Java & JSP, after 20 years of lots of languages and 16 of .NET. Here's a little reality for you:- ASP.NET is light years, light years, ahead of JSP/F & Java.

PHP is useful to teach children programming but no credible professional developer is going to use it. If you're off Windows then you'd use Java or Python mostly.

Your zeal betrays your youth, so let me give you a little advice - No language stays top of the tree for very long. Java beat ASP & COM+ hands down, but C# & .NET left Java behind with version 2.0, and it's never really caught up. .NET will get knocked off the top slot one day too, but with the current five year plans, it's not going to be Java that does it but something new.

Your career will be long and you will be competing against low paid people from China, India, and Africa for all of it. Don't get hung up on any one technology stack or you'll severely limit your options - something that will matter to you on the wrong side of 40, unless the government start taking ageism seriously.

1. Hans 1
        Boffin

I used a sinclair in the good ole days, man. I have used asp, asp.Net, Java, jsp, php, and I know python (among many other techs/languages/frameworks). The latter 4 have their uses.

Don't get me wrong, ASP.Net pisses all over asp/com+, agree there, but still no match for php or jsp.

I do not want to start a flame war, seeing the downvotes, you actually managed to make me doubt (personal taste is not to be discussed), but when I search in google, the first 5 results I found say exactly what I say, asp.Net is no competitor to JSP or PHP. True, you can use python, but JSP and PHP are so much simpler to implement and scale "quite" well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like